Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED] Mixed Success/Login Issues - GA-Z77N-WIFI - 3770K - GTX 660 Ti

Hello everyone

I've been having having some success with Mountain Lion, but also some unexplainable issues.

Components:

1. GA-Z77N-WIFI Motherboard
2. Intel i7 3770K
3. MSI GTX 660 Ti
4. Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz
5. Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD for boot
6. Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive for storage
7. OCZ ZT Series 550W Modular PSU
8. Corsair H60 Cooler
9. Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced case

Method of Install:

1. Install Mountain Lion

Boot from Unibeast USB with no arguments
Format Drive with GUID Partition Table
Install Mountain Lion

2. 10.8.2 Update

Boot into Mountain Lion (I had to use the Unibeast USB bootloader because of Boot0 error)
Install the 10.8.2 Combo Update
Reboot

3. Configuring the Install

Open up Multibeast (5.2.3) and check the following-

I could not use the UserDSDT Installation option as it results in a kernal panic at login (see below)
Drivers -> Audio -> Without DSDT -> ALC892
Drivers -> Disk -> TRIM Enabler -> 10.8.1+ TRIM Patch (Or use Trim Enabler (http://goo.gl/eGJ8W))
Drivers ->Network -> Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81xx
Drivers -> Miscellaneous -> FakeSMC
Drivers -> Miscellaneous -> FakeSMC Plugins
Bootloaders -> Chimera v1.11.1 r1394 (Only because of the Boot0 error I get when booting of the SSD)
Reboot

Current Standstill & problem(s):

The machine is able to boot into Mountain Lion to the login screen. Logging in either results in a Kernel Panic (no output, just frozen display) or once in a while, a successful desktop displayed. I have tried booting with "-x" which yields the same chance of displaying a desktop or Kernel Panic.

Just when I tried to login in this time, I finally got a Kernel Panic with an output over the desktop! The error makes mention to FakeSMC, hwsensors, and GPUSensors. Looks like I will be uninstalling FakeSMC and HWMonitor and see where it goes from here.

Not sure wether a DSDT is needed or not. When I tried running Multibeast and just using the "UserDSD or DSDT-Free Installation" option with or without a the DSDT on the Desktop, it results in a frozen screen seconds after logging in. From my experience so far with it, I have just avoided touching that setting. I am not using HD4000 HDMI anyway so it is no big deal for now. Hopefully this does not effect the DVI port on the motherboard which I want to use in the future.

By default Mountain Lion has the system definitions as a Mac Pro 2,2 (I think). Is there any benefit of changing it to iMac 12,2? Does it really matter what it is?

Sleep! Somehow when I was able to login, I tried Sleep. I was surprised to see that it actually worked! Before I was only left with the screen turning off and the hard disks turning off. Upon wakening it by hitting the keyboard, I was faced with the dreaded login screen. I attempted to login and had the usual Kernel Panic. Some success at least.

Last but not least, how can I backup a basic 10.8.2 install on my SSD to an external hard drive for when I need to jump back to a working setup.

Now that I finally installed Windows onto the SSD, I was going to look into reinstalling, but have not received much of a response.

I also tried to get the integrated graphics to work, but nothing displayed. I have never heard of this happening, but when I plug the DVI-I adapter that came with my 660 Ti into the DVI port of the motherboard, and then my monitor into that, nothing displays (BIOS and all). But when I plug it right back into the 660 Ti, it works fine. Could it be my adapter?? I've even tried resetting the BIOS to all defaults.

I have almost an identical setup. My gfx is a 660 (non Ti). Let us know how you progress and I will share my exploits as well. I do know that the miniPCI Intel WiFi card needs to be replaced/removed with a Dell or equivalent... so I'm on the hunt for that.

Well as far as getting integrated graphics goes, I figured out that a BIOS setting needs to be changed (IGPU over PEX). I haven't tried it yet as I fear loosing all my work so far.

I have not had the time to try and fix things but from what I've read, I should probably install the 660 Ti drivers or try graphicsenabler=no to prevent that weird problem with logging in.

For the wireless adapter, I got a Dell DW1515 (http://goo.gl/0iD5a) off EBay for $10.92 but just haven't gotten to taking everything apart and then putting it all back together.

I'm looking at getting a fan controller (http://goo.gl/2U06R) with a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter in my case so I can actually control some fans (which I also need). I'm also looking at fan filters, mostly for the front intake and GPU intake; DEMCIFlex seems to be the best from what I see (hopefully not the most expensive either :))

IT WORKS! :) Turns out this card really did need the boot argument GraphicsEnabler=no in order to not cause problems.

I had installed Windows 7 to half my SSD and then just recently decided to try a shot at Mountain Lion again. I followed my first post with a few modifications. These include:
Not installing FakeSMC, adding GraphicsEnabler=No to boot.plist, and changing definitions to iMac 12,2

FakeSMC - Known to cause problems with 600 series cards (correct me if I'm wrong)
GraphicsEnabler=no - Prevent those pesky login Kernel Panics I was having
iMac 12,2 definitions - Not sure, people recommended it with my motherboard in other builds(not sure why)

For some odd reason my Extra folder never copies over on installation so I had to end up moving the Extra folder from my Unibeast USB to the root of my Mountain Lion drive. This step is what allowed me to finally boot without the aid of the Unibeast USB bootloader :)

This is great success as I still need to get my Dell DW1515 wireless card in along with two new fans and a fan controller which will complete my build. The only annoying thing is the fact sleep does not work. This was a known problem for my board but somehow I was able to get it to work a very long time ago. Not sure what can be done , but all sleep does is sleep the monitor and the hard drives and forces a reboot to wake up.

I'm guessing I should make a new thread in Mountain Lion Desktop Guides right?

I am really happy that everything is working so well, but would anyone know how to get FakeSMC and HWmonitor to work without causing Kernel Panics at login? I would really like to know temps during load.

You may have solved a LOT of people's problems here, well done.
Just tried it on mine, same build except the MSI 660Ti, I'll leave it off for a bit and see how it goes.
An chance you could save your BIOS settings as a file, and post them? Also, could you screeshot your Multibeast settings, if you're feeling generous with your time? There are a lot of people looking for this, mainly because the card is one of the recommended ones on the list, and people are buying it based on that. It's been tough to discover that it was bad advice...

OK, further to the last one, done a bit of checking and it seems it's all down to PEG GENERATION 3, not PEG GENERATION AUTO. I've attached a copy of my BIOS. It's a WETRANSFER.COM link, so spread it around when you're finished with it, as the link only lasts two weeks.

http://we.tl/U8Xy6sPI7y

Put it on a FAT32 formatted pen drive.
Go to QFLASH in your BIOS, and choose the BIOS file from your disk.
Make sure there's money in the electricity meter and take deep breaths while you update the BIOS.
Restart and it should be OK.

Now, if anyone can help me find a way to stop the screaming MSI 660TI fans from starting their Anti Dust feature, I'd be really grateful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back