Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Hello everyone,

so today I made a bootable USB for macOS Sierra using UniBeast.
However, when I boot from the USB, I get a "No Operating System" error.
I read elsewhere I need to boot from UEFI USB mode. The thing is, in the BIOS I can't select UEFI USB boot mode, only the normal legacy mode.

When creating the USB with UniBeast, I chose UEFI boot mode instead of Legacy.

A while ago I successfully Hackintoshed the same PC but I don't know which boot option I used back then.

This is mostly a BIOS/UEFI related question imo, so that's why I posted it at this section of the forum.

You guys have any advice for me regarding this issue?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Problem solved. Apparently I didn't create the USB correctly with MultiBeast. I tried in El Capitan and was successfull in creating a bootable UEFI USB drive with macOS Sierra 10.12.1

Last edited:
Since you have not given any hardware SPECs of your System on which you want to install Sierra , let me start with a few basic information you need to have before creating the Sierra USB installer disk without the benefit of knowing your System.
  • First check what type of BIOS your Motherboard has.
  • If it has only Legacy option, most likely (but not always) as a rule of thumb, it is too old to have macOSSierra.
  • It certainly won't be able to help boot a Sierra UEFI disk as it cannot recognize that. You need a Bootable disk made with Legacy Boot option.
  • If it has a Hybrid [UEFI and Legacy] BIOS, it can handle either Legacy or UEFI . In such boards, Compatibility Support Module (CSM) provides legacy BIOS compatibility for MBR partitioned disks [Legacy disks].
  • Clover as a Boot-loader is a relatively recent event. Prior to that hackintosh used Chameleon and Chimera Boot-loaders that worked a lot differently from Clover EFI Boot-loader. Chameleon /Chimera could not load UEFI Mode Boot disks; they could only handle Legacy or MBR boot disks. So more than likely you had Legacy mode in the old system.

Since you have not given any hardware SPECs of your System on which you want to install Sierra , let me start with a few basic information you need to have before creating the Sierra USB installer disk without the benefit of knowing your System.
  • First check what type of BIOS your Motherboard has.
  • If it has only Legacy option, most likely (but not always) as a rule of thumb, it is too old to have macOSSierra.
  • It certainly won't be able to help boot a Sierra UEFI disk as it cannot recognize that. You need a Bootable disk made with Legacy Boot option.
  • If it has a Hybrid [UEFI and Legacy] BIOS, it can handle either Legacy or UEFI . In such boards, Compatibility Support Module (CSM) provides legacy BIOS compatibility for MBR partitioned disks [Legacy disks].
  • Clover as a Boot-loader is a relatively recent event. Prior to that hackintosh used Chameleon and Chimera Boot-loaders that worked a lot differently from Clover EFI Boot-loader. Chameleon /Chimera could not load UEFI Mode Boot disks; they could only handle Legacy or MBR boot disks. So more than likely you had Legacy mode in the old system.
Sorry I forgot to include specs.
System is fully compatible though.
My specs:
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
Mobo: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming (this mobo can run in UEFI mode, I installed Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode.)
GPU: MSI GTX 970
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Drive for macOS: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD

Thank you for the correct SPECS:)
If you will update your Profile with the Hardware Specs, the hardware specs will stay throughout the whole thread and we don't have to come to the first page to find the System Info to diagnose any problem or answer your query. That's also a Forum requirement; check the "Rules" on top Menu bar of this page.

Your System SPECS are indeed fully compatible, as you correctly stated, for macOS Sierra.

Please check the section User Builds for some successful builds with your MoBO for helpful clues. It is better to post on the Sierra Desktop Support Section to get a wider exposure and faster responses from a lot of experienced and helpful people.

Thank you for the correct SPECS:)
If you will update your Profile with the Hardware Specs, the hardware specs will stay throughout the whole thread and we don't have to come to the first page to find the System Info to diagnose any problem or answer your query. That's also a Forum requirement; check the "Rules" on top Menu bar of this page.

Your System SPECS are indeed fully compatible, as you correctly stated, for macOS Sierra.

Please check the section User Builds for some successful builds with your MoBO for helpful clues. It is better to post on the Sierra Desktop Support Section to get a wider exposure and faster responses from a lot of experienced and helpful people.
Thanks for your kind reply. I will check the user builds out to gather some more info.

You can flash back as you did to fix that problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back