Contribute
Register

Mint partition w/grub not seen by chameleon -- help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4740s
CPU
i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (Ivy Bridge-MB PGA SV)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2), Radeon (not disabled)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[solved] Mint partition w/grub not seen by chameleon -- help please!

Hello,

I am trying to get a dual boot with OS X and Mint 17 to work.
The Mac side is OK, the DVD install of Mint went fine.
GRUB was installed to the Mint partition, see pic.
DarwinDumper.PNG
But at boot the Linux partition is not displayed by Chameleon.
The partition is not hidden:
PLIST.PNG

What am I blind to? :crazy:
Thanks for help!
dg

EDIT - For whom it may help:
Creating a hybrid MBR with gdisk did not help. Then I ran disk utility (booted into the mac partition), on the disk (not any partition), everything was OK, and then re-installed Chameleon for the umpteenth time (via ProbookInstaller). What made booting work now is unclear; all I noticed is that afterwards the MBR was protective again and the ext4 partition (Linux Mint) hat the msftdata flag set (WTF?). But as Mint is seen now in Chameleon, I'll investigate no further. HTH some despaired soul... :)

Hello,

I am trying to get a dual boot with OS X and Mint 17 to work.
The Mac side is OK, the DVD install of Mint went fine.
GRUB was installed to the Mint partition, see pic.

What am I blind to? :crazy:
Thanks for help!
dg

If you are having problems with it on laptop in your profile, suggest bettor place to post problem is in the Laptop Forum - this is Desktop Support forum.

Did you set the BIOS for Legacy Boot Only before atempting to install? This is ony thing that might prevent a default UEFI install from occuring.

Is Mint installed in UEFI mode? Then Chameleon will not boot it.
You could boot it with Clover. Try with usb-stick first.

Good idea. Will try as soon as I get some time to experiment.

If you are having problems with it on laptop in your profile, suggest bettor place to post problem is in the Laptop Forum - this is Desktop Support forum.

Yeah... well... I thought this was not so much a problem of the hardware, more a software or, most likely, a user problem... And it's more likely to find the the linux knowledge here. :)

Did you set the BIOS for Legacy Boot Only before atempting to install? This is ony thing that might prevent a default UEFI install from occuring.

I had compatibility mode set, but made sure to select the boot device as the option without UEFI.

Thanks for the ideas!
dg

Yeah... well... I thought this was not so much a problem of the hardware, more a software or, most likely, a user problem... And it's more likely to find the the linux knowledge here. :)

Actually there are a couple of guys in the laptop forum who are better guru's for linux on laptops. There are at least 2 really good guides for installing on probooks as I recall.

Question - did you remember to run GPTSync on the drive when you got through installing everything?
Chimera/chameleon boot loaders can't see the partition if it is not sync'ed.

Yes, some at the laptop forums (like RehabMan) are truly amazing. I had a triple-boot running following his guide.

Now I had not sync'd the MBR because this time Windows is not involved. Tried syncing (via gdisk), but now not even reinstalling Chameleon via Probookinstaller makes the HD bootable ("boot0: done; Non-system disk", dd-ing boot1h into Mac partition didn't help), I have to use an installer stick to select my Mac OS.

As it is my (only) production machine, further tinkering will have to wait till the project is done.

Thanks for your advice, I'll remember to sync and will try Clover for sure!

dg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back