Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Just a quick question,

is there any list of minimum budget graphics cards to run MacOS 10.14 Mojave? I am looking at Zotac GT710 which I can pick up for quite cheap here in SA. (ZAR600) However before I buy it, is there some sort of list of graphics cards that support Metal?

I don't use intense software or anything so looking for a card that purely supports Mojave.

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Just a quick question,

is there any list of minimum budget graphics cards to run MacOS 10.14 Mojave? I am looking at Zotac GT710 which I can pick up for quite cheap here in SA. (ZAR600) However before I buy it, is there some sort of list of graphics cards that support Metal?

I don't use intense software or anything so looking for a card that purely supports Mojave.

Cheers!

From what I’ve seen with this new software the Nvidia graphics are suffering from a lack of support. When Nvidia makes new web drivers it will be better but that could take awhile as seen with High Sierra. AMD card support is their priority and HD 7xxx (R9 200 series) cards work out of box as well as the RX cards. If you want to test it when the public beta comes out an AMD card will be a better choice IMO.

UPDATE:

On macOS, Metal supports Intel HD and Iris Graphics from the HD 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, and Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

GCN is fabricated in 28 nm and 14 nm graphics chips, available on selected models in the
Radeon HD 7000,HD 8000,200,300,400 and 500 series of AMD Radeon graphics cards.

Kepler was Nvidia's first microarchitecture to focus on energy efficiency. Most GeForce 600 series, most GeForce 700 series, and some GeForce 800M series GPUs were based on Kepler, all manufactured in 28 nm. Kepler also found use in the GK20A, the GPU component of the Tegra K1SoC, as well as in the Quadro Kxxx series, the Quadro NVS 510, and Nvidia Tesla computing modules.

Kepler was followed by the Maxwell microarchitecture and used alongside Maxwell in the GeForce 700 series and GeForce 800M series.

can be viewed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

Good news, possibly? A user with a gt710 has reported success with the new software and a few gtx750 users as well, but many Nvidia users are reporting issues. Some folks are replacing kexts from HS or Sierra and reporting some success.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 4.56.14 PM.png

Last edited:
UPDATE:

On macOS, Metal supports Intel HD and Iris Graphics from the HD 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, and Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

Eathann, you're right on about the Kepler GTX 670 card (300 Series, Signature below) - supports Metal v4 on Mojave PB 10:

Mojave Public Beta 10 Graphics.png

Mojave includes drivers for full acceleration, as you indicated. This EVGA 600 Series card was released in 2012, and according to http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-670-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2181vs3649 compares reasonably well with the current Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB graphics card.

Bought this GTX 670 used for about US$95 recently. Should do fine until Mojave web drivers arrive for the GTX 1050.

Eathann, you're right on about the Kepler GTX 670 card (300 Series, Signature below) - supports Metal v4 on Mojave PB 10:

View attachment 351734

Mojave includes drivers for full acceleration, as you indicated. This EVGA 600 Series card was released in 2012, and according to http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-670-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2181vs3649 compares reasonably well with the current Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB graphics card.

Bought this GTX 670 used for about US$95 recently. Should do fine until Mojave web drivers arrive for the GTX 1050.

I updated last night. I have gtx 1070 and got the web driver message. The display is fine on the laptop; but it will not display to my connected 27 inch cinema display. Can i just use kext instead of the web drivers? The display uses mini display port. thanks

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2018-10-05 в 12.36.34.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-10-05 в 12.36.34.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 6,511
What is the Nvidia driver for this Mac OS mojave..? For 710

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back