Contribute
Register

minimalist, basic powermac G5 mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man, a mod is a mod, no matter how dirty.. :D

I meant no disrespect, I was just offering my thought. I know that when ever I'm working on my G5 mod (its taking freaking forever :? ), I love the things people say and their suggestions seem o help me make a better machine at every turn.

Gus, Neilhart, minihack, and all he other experienced modder here are great sources of info simply because they've already made the same mistakes you and I will encounter. The pool of knowledge that we share is aimed at bettering the community, not to beat one of it's members down and negatively criticize their work. If we can take the small issues, like back panel I/O reconfiguration, out of the picture, we can all work towards better and more innovative builds.

That being said, I'd love to see how you wired up your front panel. I have the same motherboard and I was a doozy working around the lack of firewire. and cat5? :clap: I'd definitely like to hear more about that!

Dobbo said:
If you don't like it neilhart, take it down I don't really give one to be honest. I thought this community was nice but. It seems not as soon as I started the thread people were making nothing but criticisms

Post edited above.

The community is nice and it wasn't criticism they where ideas for you.
If you where all done with your mod then fine, you will close it up and nobody will see the inside. But we all suggested something to help your system last longer as we all have learned from our own mistakes how to build mods.
You took the time to buy the case and cut it, place the mobo inside and what not and wire up the front panel. SO I thought as well as others that you where still building.

If you look at all of our threads you will see that all of us have given advice and ideas to help each other out. Not meant as criticism but to open out minds to more ideas on what to do and how to do it.

I can see where Neil is coming from, some of use take great pride and care to make beautiful mods. Painstakingly going though and taking the time to make it neat and immaculate. So when somebody posts a "dirty" mod it can make some of us cringe. It did me to be honest but it's not my build it's yours and if your happy with it that's all that counts. We just go about modding differently from each other is all.

One thing though is that yes this is a nice community and we are all here to help each other out. If you post on any open forum your going to get comments you may not like, you then need to address this comments in a more adult fashion. It's great to be passionate but to do so in an adult tone.

Hi guys I'd like to apologise for getting pissed off, it's just I was slightly annoyed tht some people were saying like why did you post this it's such a dirty mod, because I had explained in my original post that I soon plan on getting a mountain mods or lianli motherboard tray and tidying it up. However that does not compenSate for my misdemeanors. Also thanks you guys for clearing it up:)

judging by the sainsburys packet on the right hand side of your first photo, you are in the UK, so the mountainmods tray isnt really viable due to the import costs & shipping.

lian li trays would be easier to get over here, kustompcs.co.uk sell them http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2012.html (oos atm though)

another alternative is to pick up a used coolermaster wavemaster off of ebay, and use the tray from that.
i used it on my g5. copied the idea from aquamac

I'll agree with samisnake.

I'm in the UK and got a mountain mods tray. It is great however I don't think if was worth it, the tray cost about £25, shipping another £35, and then had customs tax of another £20.

But can't go back now.

The Lian Li ones on that site, do regularly go out of stock but they come back in fairly quickly it seems. (Wish I had known as would have got one of the ATX ones myself).

The full atx tray that I think you are talking about is out of stock
Can't find a coolermaster wavemaster, there is only that micro atx tray which In a thread a few days ago you said I'd have to fabricate a whole new backplate:(

Give kustom pcs an email, and they should tell you when they're expecting them back in stock (did with me anyway)

tom.humphrey said:
Give kustom pcs an email, and they should tell you when they're expecting them back in stock (did with me anyway)

good idea, thanks!

Thanks for the sharing men.
I was actually thinking about doing the same project as you.
I can't afford a Mountain Mods Motherboard tray right now, it will cost me about 90$ to Belgium..
:silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back