Contribute
Register

Minimal Mac Pro 4.1 Mod in 4K [updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 479874

I've recently converted my Mac Pro 2009 to a PC, the goal was to make it as clean as possible.

The cable extended from the rear is for HDMI output, since I'm not using a discrete graphic card.

I recorded the whole conversion process in 4K, I hope this helps.

There will be a total of 3 episodes:
1. MATX MOBO fitting
2. PSU conversion
3. Cooling tunnel conversion

View attachment 479875View attachment 479876View attachment 479877View attachment 479878View attachment 479879View attachment 479880
Holy cow that's a pretty build there.

@mad86, Awesome build!, the videos are great too, wish my 6yr old could scoop up the manual and throw it at my head so I could absorb the info!. I pretty much did what you did for my G5 when it came to mounting the motherboard, I didn't use a hammer to remove the standoffs though, just a gentle rocking motion with a pair of pliers did the trick. I also used JB weld and you'll be happy to hear that they're still holding now. Great job and thanks for sharing.

look pretty awesome

Fantastic build... I did something very similar with a 3.1 Mac Pro and a 2.5 G5. I have to say it was easier doing the G5, as I could run all the cables I wanted from the bottom of the case where the 1000W psu was supposed to be, and the G5 case was a lot easier to strip out... Never got the front panel of the Mac Pro to work, G5 was just essentially same as a PC, just needed a bit of soldering to make it ATX compatible... Mac Pro never worked for me on same MB. Ended up going red LED and USB3 on the front, not stock at all.

A really good job. Bravo!

Thanks to all the previous builders, I've learned mostly from this forum.

Updated the last part of modifying the cooling tunnel, also added the teardown part.

Thanks. I thought about the caps in the PSU cable and tried not to abuse it too much : )

At a moment I was considering getting another crimping tool for Molex connectors and build cables myself, but it happened most of the cables they were about the right length.

Definitely will try to make customised cables for the next build.

Very Nice work. ModDyi has 90 degree USB 3.0 20 pin adapters so you could remove the wire tie on that cable. Much cleaner look. I see why you did not touch the factory cables on the Seasonic as they have soldered caps on many of the cables and they cannot loomed easily and the cap wires break easily if you fool around with them too much. I would have ModDYi make up custom harnesses to exact lengths using clear-colored wire even though you do not see them unless you open the side up, or you do a tempered glass door mod. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-g5-work-in-progress-template-when-finished.256631/#post-1788417 https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-18AWG-FF46%2d2-Clear-Color-Computer-Cable-Copper-Wire-9-Colors.html

Have a proper meter with you, test all the wires you changed for shorts and opens.

Make sure all the components and connectors are properly insulated.

Then cross your fingers and switch it on!

How do I avoid killing myself copying the PSU mod?

Agree. Opening the PSU will lose warranty and may involve high voltage.

There's always going to be risk opening up a PSU. You should leave it unplugged from power for as long as possible before working on it. Even then, if you don't know what you're doing or are afraid, it's probably best not to attempt it at all. From my perspective, the PSU mod video isn't meant to be a step by step tutorial for beginners to follow. It's simply a demonstration that it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back