Contribute
Register

Minihack’s Build: Haswell i5-4250U NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any suggestion left ... except
You can :
- try System Preferences in Yosemite -> Displays -> Display tab. Hold down option + left mouse click on Scaled ... you already tried !
- try to boot in safemode and switch to 4k and reboot (I read something about that)
- try Mac-Pixel-Clock-Patch
- try to manually patch the FramebufferMemory Size of AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext : 4k on HD4000, PikeR.Alpha script
- try to update to El Capitan Public Beta and see if there is any progress
-
Edit :
My NUC is still at BIOS v33, which I’ve seen no need to update since everything else is working fine, including 4K resolutions under Mavericks. Do you think that might be an issue?
No Graphic Drivers changes between v33 et v40 ...

I'm pretty sure it's a framebuffer issue or a blacklist issue ...

Can you share your 10.9 AzulFB kext ? I found it ... and ... no clue.

The frame buffer is used to store the image as it is rendered, before or during the time it is sent to the display. Thus, its memory footprint depends on the output resolution (an image at at 1920x1080x32 bpp is ~8.3 MB; a 4K image at 3840x2160x32 is ~33.2 MB), the number of buffers (at least two; rarely three or more).

- try Mac-Pixel-Clock-Patch
- try to manually patch the FramebufferMemory Size of AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext : 4k on HD4000, PikeR.Alpha script

Thanks, those are very interesting links, particularly the comments on the first one.

I’m thinking I should try the pixel clock patch to IOKit, and maybe try replacing just AppleIntelFramebufferAzul with the one from Mavericks.

I should also probably try installing El Cap on the second drive. Food for thought!

In both cases FrameBuffers are affected (roll back in the 1st one, modified in the second).

I'll try to understand the modification of the script ...

Edit : done ... is skips one test, reset the value, fills the blanks and go directly to the end of the sequence ... neat !

In both cases FrameBuffers are affected (roll back in the 1st one, modified in the second).

Oh, my.

I patched AppleIntelFramebufferAzul with the Piker-Alpha script 3.0, setting the BiOS-allocated memory to 64 MB and the framebuffer size to 34 MB (the maximum), but no change. Then I patched IOKit using the Perl command mentioned (as applicable to Yosemite) in the comments of the Google Code page, but during the verbose boot, at the point where the video drivers should take over the screen, I just got a black screen with a white block cursor in the upper left corner.

Obviously I have no idea what I’m doing here…

Next up is 10.10.5, though I don’t expect that to change anything. I have some more NUCs, I think I’ll set up a separate one for experimentation with El Cap.

10.10.5 update

My Haswell i5 NUC setup is based on MiniHack’s Clover build but with Macmini7,1 SMBIOS based on Sebinouse’s suggestions.

I updated from 10.10.4 to 10.10.5 through Software Update with no issues, but the available resolutions are unchanged.

Apple has updated AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext from version 10.6.31 (10.10.4) to 10.6.33 (10.10.5).

You may try 10.11 "El Capitan", and start again from scratch one step at a time :
1. SSDT for Azul FB : 22 03, then 26 0A and after 26 0D
2. PikerAlpha patch to adjust FB size (not bios size)
3. IOKit patch

So I had a successful NUC for a while then for whatever reason I decided to update to 10.10.5. And now when I start up I get the following panic.

Any ideas? I've undone everything and started from scratch, installing as per the first post with the latest NUC essentials stuff. I really have no idea how to diagnose this from here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 160
So I had a successful NUC for a while then for whatever reason I decided to update to 10.10.5. And now when I start up I get the following panic.

Any ideas? I've undone everything and started from scratch, installing as per the first post with the latest NUC essentials stuff. I really have no idea how to diagnose this from here.

The panic references the graphics drivers, so perhaps you can boot in safe mode (by adding -x to your clover boot options), which will disable GPU acceleration. You might find some hints in this thread starting with post #559 and replies by Sebinouse.

In particular, note that Sebinouse mentioned he can’t boot Yosemite on his NUC with Clover v2.3_r3241 and newer ones, and had to revert to r3202. What version of Clover did you install?

The panic references the graphics drivers, so perhaps you can boot in safe mode (by adding -x to your clover boot options), which will disable GPU acceleration. You might find some hints in this thread starting with post #559 and replies by Sebinouse.

In particular, note that Sebinouse mentioned he can’t boot Yosemite on his NUC with Clover v2.3_r3241 and newer ones, and had to revert to r3202. What version of Clover did you install?

I'm doing the 10,10,5 update right now ... my issues booting Clover were due to airport ... Let's see !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back