Contribute
Register

Minihack’s Build: Haswell i5-4250U NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sebinouse I’ve been trying to enable 4K resolution on my Haswell i5-4250U NUC, which is set up with 10.10.4 according to Minihack’s guide with his MacBookAir6,2 plist.

My monitor is an ASUS PB287Q, connected over DisplayPort, and I was able to get 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz back on Mavericks, but ever since I switched to Yosemite I’ve been unable to go over 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz.

Are you able to get 4K resolutions (at reduced frame rates) with your MacMini7,1 setup from the onboard Intel HD 5000?

Are you able to get 4K resolutions (at reduced frame rates) with your MacMini7,1 setup from the onboard Intel HD 5000?

My config is for 1080p LDC TV ... so I can't try higher resolutions.

Apple gives for the genuine MacMini7,1 (Source)
Code:
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

And for MacBookAir6,2 (Source)
Code:
Apple only reports that this model can support a single external display up to 2560x1600

Now we have to figure out if the limitation is from the Chipset or the SMBIOS ...

Apple gives for the genuine MacMini7,1 (Source)
Code:
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

Now we have to figure out if the limitation is from the Chipset or the SMBIOS ...

Exactly. I now have my D54250WYKH running 10.10.4 using MiniHack’s guide with a Macmini7,1 SMBIOS based on your SMBIOS settings:

yosemite-mini7,1.jpg

Note that I’m using a CK7wwrrrG1HV serial, based on a real number found on Craigslist, as the CK2wwrrrGCVH you suggest is not recognized by any of the lookup sites I know. My serial number is recognized as a 1.4 GHz Macmini7,1, i. e. the model that ships with Intel HD 5000 graphics.

As before with the MacBookAir6,2 SMBIOS, I can’t set any resolution higher than 2560 x 1600 for my ASUS PB287Q monitor. (So I’m using 2560 x 1440 because it has the correct aspect ratio.)

I’ve defined custom resolutions of 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 45 Hz, 30 Hz, 24 Hz, 16 Hz and 12 Hz using SwitchResX 4.5.1, but after reboot they show up as “not active – invalid?”.

This happens no matter whether I attach the monitor to the HDMI or the Mini-DisplayPort.

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but I have the patch to AppleIntelFramebufferAzul active as supplied by MiniHack:

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Patch first DP connector to HDMI</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AAAEAACHAAAAAgQ=
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AAAIAAAGAAAAAgQ=
    </data>
</dict>

I tried removing it, but that restricted the available resolutions further. If I recall correctly, with the monitor connected via HDMI I was limited to 1080p in System Preferences/Monitors.

All of this is a regression in Yosemite. In 10.9.5 I had no problems running at higher resolutions with the same hardware using MiniHack’s guide.

Is it possible to revert to graphics drivers from Mavericks, and which kexts would I want to replace?

Exactly. I now have my D54250WYKH running 10.10.4 using MiniHack’s guide with a Macmini7,1 SMBIOS based on your SMBIOS settings:

View attachment 146436

Note that I’m using a CK7wwrrrG1HV serial, based on a real number found on Craigslist, as the CK2wwrrrGCVH you suggest is not recognized by any of the lookup sites I know. My serial number is recognized as a 1.4 GHz Macmini7,1, i. e. the model that ships with Intel HD 5000 graphics.

As before with the MacBookAir6,2 SMBIOS, I can’t set any resolution higher than 2560 x 1600 for my ASUS PB287Q monitor. (So I’m using 2560 x 1440 because it has the correct aspect ratio.)

I’ve defined custom resolutions of 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 45 Hz, 30 Hz, 24 Hz, 16 Hz and 12 Hz using SwitchResX 4.5.1, but after reboot they show up as “not active – invalid?”.

This happens no matter whether I attach the monitor to the HDMI or the Mini-DisplayPort.

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but I have the patch to AppleIntelFramebufferAzul active as supplied by MiniHack:

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Patch first DP connector to HDMI</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AAAEAACHAAAAAgQ=
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AAAIAAAGAAAAAgQ=
    </data>
</dict>

I tried removing it, but that restricted the available resolutions further. If I recall correctly, with the monitor connected via HDMI I was limited to 1080p in System Preferences/Monitors.

All of this is a regression in Yosemite. In 10.9.5 I had no problems running at higher resolutions with the same hardware using MiniHack’s guide.

Is it possible to revert to graphics drivers from Mavericks, and which kexts would I want to replace?

Just a thought and maybe a long shot;

Try a resolution of 3840x2160 @ 59 instead of 60, using DP connection.

Also have a look through the technical guide to confirm the exact video output specs. There is a pdf copy in my Install Pack that may help you.

OK ... the bottleneck is not related to SMBIOS then ... that's a beginning !

BTW thanks for the serial, my researches where based on Piker.R Alpha works and not on actual serials.

About the Azul patch : we use for audio through HDMI that's all.
As you said, I also think HDMI is limited to 1080p, mDP is mandatory for every higher resolution ...

Roll back to old kexts, is not a recommanded solution but it can help to find out the solution by looking at the differences between the two versions. I would give a try with:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext

As I am no longer under Yosemite (but on El Capitan), I remember of several kexts named :
AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext
AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

If they are still present in Yosemite you can give a try !

Just a thought and maybe a long shot;

Try a resolution of 3840x2160 @ 59 instead of 60, using DP connection.

Also have a look through the technical guide to confirm the exact video output specs. There is a pdf copy in my Install Pack that may help you.

A resolution of 3840 x 2160 @ 59 Hz defined with SwitchResX also shows up as “not active – invalid?”

Intel specifies a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz over DisplayPort and 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz over HDMI.

The ASUS PB287Q monitor can be switched between DisplayPort 1.1 and 1.2, but that doesn’t change the resolutions available on the NUC. The only difference is that when the monitor is on DP 1.2, the login screen isn’t visible after booting, so I have to log in over Remote Desktop. Subsequent logins (after energy saving) show up fine.

The Intel docs cite MST configurations, but only for multiple screens, which would suggest that 30 Hz is the max refresh possible at 3840 x 2160. (I understand the data rate necessary for 60 Hz is too high for DP 1.1 SST.)

As a cross-check, the PB287Q does 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz when connected with the same MiniDP cable to a 2015 RMBP 13″. (Which requires setting the monitor to DP 1.2. Running it in DP 1.1 offers the same resolutions on the RMBP, but the screen is garbled.)

Next, I’ll try rolling back to the Mavericks kexts listed by Sebinouse – yes, those are present in Yosemite.

and did you try the "altfb" of minihack's package ?

Oh, good point. I tried that just now (before downgrading to the Mavericks kexts), but it didn’t change anything, except that with the altfb SSDT-1.aml I get the problem with the invisible first login screen even when the monitor is set to DP 1.1. So reverting to the regular SSDT-1.

Now for the Mavericks HD5000 kexts.

Now for the Mavericks HD5000 kexts.

So who would have guessed. They don’t work. :)

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD5000Graphics]: The vtable '__ZTV15IGAccelResource' is malformed. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back