Contribute
Register

Mini-ITX - Sugo SG05 / i5 3450 / GA B75N / GTX 650 (TI) - Check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte
CPU
i5 3475S
Graphics
GTX 650 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am planning my first Hackintosh build.

0. What I have
Currently I have a Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2010 with OS X 10.8 an 80GB SSD + 500GB HDD.
I also have two spare 2.5" Samsung 500GB HDDs which I want to use fo this build.

1. What I want
A small "Mac" which can run Adobe Lightroom, Office, a little bit of Photshop and very little Gaming (TF2, Diablo 3, etc.).

-----------------------------------------------------

2. What i am planning to buy

Case/PSU: Silverstone Sugo SG05 or SG06 (with 450W PSU) - 120€

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA B75N Mini-ITX - 80€

CPU: Intel i5-3450 CPU (with Intel HD2500) - 170€

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 Basic 120GB - 85€

Ram: 8GB No specific Bradn yet - 35€

GPU: GTX 650 OR GTX 650 TI - 90€/125€

Optional:
CPU Cooler: Samuel 17 OR Corsair H60

-----------------------------------------------------

I want to install OSX on the SSD, Win8 on one HDD and keep the other HDD for Data (Photos,Music & Co) in OSX.

Some Questions:
1) Is everything compatible?
2) I know that the HD2500 is not supported in general use, but could I install OSX with it, in Case there is some trouble with the GTX 650 (TI)?
3) Should I upgrade to a 3570k for the HD4000, altough I won't use expect for Installation?
4) Do both 650 and 650 TI work OOB? Can I install ML with them installed?
5) Should I change the B75N to a H77N? AFAIK the WIFI of the H77N doesn't work, or does it?
6) Any suggestions for a USB WLAN Solution?

1. yes
2. no
3. will your budget stand it? would be gooa idea if it will
4. not sure about these 2 cards
5. Up to you - what is the price difference? The Stock WiFi card for the H77 doesn't work, but if you can get the Atheros AR9280 on ebay to replace it and get WiFi.
6. B75N/H77N onboard realtek NICs should work OOB. Why use a USB WLAN?

1. yes
2. no
3. will your budget stand it? would be gooa idea if it will
4. not sure about these 2 cards
5. Up to you - what is the price difference? The Stock WiFi card for the H77 doesn't work, but if you can get the Atheros AR9280 on ebay to replace it and get WiFi.
6. B75N/H77N onboard realtek NICs should work OOB. Why use a USB WLAN?

ad 2) are you 100% sure? (only for installation?)

ad 3) well, I won't overclock so I won't really need it. I just found the i5 3475s (with HD4000) which only costs about 20€ more than the 3450 and should be the exact same CPU Apple uses in their latest iMacs, maybe I will get that instead.

ad 5) Price difference would be about 25€. Afaik the only difference is that the B75N only has one Sata III Port (only need one for SSD) and the absence of the WiFi Card, which won't work. But I probably could use the antennas with an Atheros card. And I also don't know if the Mini-PCIe Slot on the B75N is working/deactivated, because it is not mentioned at all on gigabytes website or the B75N handbook.
It would basically pay about 25€ more for two antennas and the knowledge that the Mini-PCIe Slot works.

ad 6) Unfortunately there is only one place in my apartment where the router/modem can be and therefore cable is no option. (cable would need to be quite long and I would have to go route it around two doors)

I contacted Gigabyte Germany and I was told that the Mini PCIe is active.

I contacted Gigabyte Germany and I was told that the Mini PCIe is active.

The question to ask is: Is the mPCIe active for a mPCIe SSD or is it connected to the USB bus for use with a mPCIe WiFi?

I suspect, due to the lack of antenna connections on the back plane, it is for SSD.

ad 2) are you 100% sure? (only for installation?)

ad 3) well, I won't overclock so I won't really need it. I just found the i5 3475s (with HD4000) which only costs about 20€ more than the 3450 and should be the exact same CPU Apple uses in their latest iMacs, maybe I will get that instead.

ad 5) Price difference would be about 25€. Afaik the only difference is that the B75N only has one Sata III Port (only need one for SSD) and the absence of the WiFi Card, which won't work. But I probably could use the antennas with an Atheros card. And I also don't know if the Mini-PCIe Slot on the B75N is working/deactivated, because it is not mentioned at all on gigabytes website or the B75N handbook.
It would basically pay about 25€ more for two antennas and the knowledge that the Mini-PCIe Slot works.

ad 6) Unfortunately there is only one place in my apartment where the router/modem can be and therefore cable is no option. (cable would need to be quite long and I would have to go route it around two doors)

ad 2) unfortunately, yes. HD2500 will not work even just for installing.

ad 3) works for me

ad 5) I would say your best bet is the H77N-WiFi, mainly for onboard WiFi support that leaves your PCIe x16 slot clear for a gfx card.

ad 6) Another reason for going with the H77N-WiFi.

But if you want to go with the B75N, what about using http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007PY21GU/?tag=tonymacx8603-21 to connect to your router?

Well I ordered today ...

1 x Silverstone SST-SG05BB Sugo USB 3.0 - 450W
1 x Intel Core i5-3475S 2,9 GHz - tray
1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, 1024 MB DDR5, PCIe 3.0, Mini-HMDI, DVI
1 x Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
1 x Samsung 840 Series 2.5" SSD, SATA 6G - 120GB
1 x Kingston HyperX Genesis XMP Series DDR3-1600, CL9 - 8GB Kit

... planning to use the stock cooler and then later realized I ordered the "tray"-version -.-
Then I ordered a Corsair H60 planning to pick it up immediately at a local store. Drove there, then they told me it will come tomorrow. -.-
Coming home again I checked my emails ... The motherboard I ordered is not in stock -.-
Checked the website again and saw that the Z77-Version is in stock. So I called them and they will send me the Z77 Version instead without any extra charges :D

just ordered one ;)

Still locking for a bluetooth dongle though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back