Contribute
Register

Mini-ITX Motherboard in ATX Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of going with a build similar to ModMike's TEWB because this motherboard sounds like it is very compatible with Mojave.

Would it be dumb to put this Mini-ITX board in a mid-tower ATX case?

The reason I am pondering this is because I want two 5.25" external bays. One for a BluRay Drive and the other for a 2.5" SSD Drive rack (for swapping out SSD's for different OS's).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C3VI20/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Is this a mistake for any reason? I know it will be pretty empty case but will it work? I am looking at a simple Corsair Carbide 100R case.

I am thinking of going with a build similar to ModMike's TEWB because this motherboard sounds like it is very compatible with Mojave.

The reason I am pondering this is because I want two 5.25" external bays. One for a BluRay Drive and the other for a 2.5" SSD Drive rack (for swapping out SSD's for different OS's).

Is this a mistake for any reason? I know it will be pretty empty case but will it work? I am looking at a simple Corsair Carbide 100R case.

You can do it if you want to. Nothing "dumb" about it. ATX cases are designed to be compatible with smaller motherboards. However, there are mATX cases which have two 5.25" drive bays, like the Corsair 350D, which is smaller than an ATX case.

It is your choice in the end.

I use the Kingwin dual 2.5" hotswap bay with a 5.25 to 3.5 bay adapter and the cover for it that came with my case. The only downside I see with the Vantec model is the material of construction - it looks to be plastic. If you are constantly swapping drives look to the plastic to break after a certain amount of use of the squeeze tabs on the drive caddy.
Personally, for the mini tower I would use the Fractal Design Core 1100 or 1300 if you can find it.

I ended up putting the ROG STRIX Z390-I in a Corsair Carbide 200R. It works, but this specific case has an "alignment" pin that can't be removed. This pin goes in the corner of the motherboard that is closest to the center of the case. (It would likely be in the center of an ATX board)

The only thing I don't like is you end up with only 3 screws in the motherboard. The alignment pin holds from down pressure but if you forget and are pulling GPU or RAM out it could flex the board upwards.

Besides having only 3 screws it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back