Intel Core i3-7100U
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 620
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,

I have the current setup listed in my signature, and am interested in doing one of two things, although option #1 is more attractive:

1. Move my existing hardware into a smaller case with minimal/no hacking. (I believe my mobo has onboard graphics, so I could nix the graphics card if necessary. The slimline DVD drive is also not necessary as I have a USB DVD drive that I can use to install software/Mac OS X.) I have built a desk using Ikea parts and would ideally like to have the Hack mini slide underneath the tier that my monitor and speakers are on (see attached picture). The clearance is approximately 4" so I'm not sure what I'd be able to find to fit that bill.

2. Move my existing hardware into a minimally bigger case that supports an additional hard drive. As it is right now, I have my SSD inside the case with my 3.5" hard drive in a dock and connected via eSata since USB 3.0 will not work. I have already bought one of the BitFenix Prodigy cases and thought it was too big and returned it. I would like to be able to fit both hard drives internally, but still have as small of a form factor as possible. I have read that the Apex MI-008 as listed in the suggested builds will support 2 hard drives; does anyone have any opinions on this case?

I just bought the new motherboard, processor, and SSD recently, which is why I would like to continue to use the hardware I currently have.

I know this may be asking a lot, but I know the community here is very helpful so I thought I'd just ask if anyone had any recommendations.

Thanks!

-jricica2

Attachments

• 20130103_195844.jpg
    20130103_195844.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 3,213
I'm building a machine for someone else and narrowed the case selection down to the Fractal Design Node 605 (apparently a nice case, but expensive) and some Silverstone Grandia models before eventually settling on a mid-tower. I don't recall the details, but if you don't mind paying, you might read some Node 605 reviews and see if that case is of interest to you.

Hello all,

I have the current setup listed in my signature, and am interested in doing one of two things, although option #1 is more attractive:

1. Move my existing hardware into a smaller case with minimal/no hacking. (I believe my mobo has onboard graphics, so I could nix the graphics card if necessary. The slimline DVD drive is also not necessary as I have a USB DVD drive that I can use to install software/Mac OS X.) I have built a desk using Ikea parts and would ideally like to have the Hack mini slide underneath the tier that my monitor and speakers are on (see attached picture). The clearance is approximately 4" so I'm not sure what I'd be able to find to fit that bill.

2. Move my existing hardware into a minimally bigger case that supports an additional hard drive. As it is right now, I have my SSD inside the case with my 3.5" hard drive in a dock and connected via eSata since USB 3.0 will not work. I have already bought one of the BitFenix Prodigy cases and thought it was too big and returned it. I would like to be able to fit both hard drives internally, but still have as small of a form factor as possible. I have read that the Apex MI-008 as listed in the suggested builds will support 2 hard drives; does anyone have any opinions on this case?

-jricica2

You might take a look at some of the Wesena solid AL cases. Many are around 4 inches tall. You'd likely need to
go with a pico psu power supply. The 150 or 160 watt pico psu would be more than adequate. They are silent and over 90% efficient. The Wesena ITX-7s would be perfect and would hold one 3.5" HDD and an SSD inside it. You could put a slimline DVD drive in it too. The best price in the US is 80 dollars at the perfecthometheater site. See below. You would need to ask them if there are any issues with your specific m-itx motherboard and this case just to play it safe.

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater....96AFE0FF91DC7D5815A3AF2A4406CE2D.qscstrfrnt05
http://youtu.be/cSs4-DYAx0Y

You could even fit a single slot 7-8 inch long gfx card in it too! Half height of course.

TRS 2013-03-14 at 7.26.27 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back