Contribute
Register

Mini Hackintosh for dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! So this is my first time building an hackintosh, i want to build one in order to replace my father's imac (early 2009 model), which as you can imagine is very very slow.

He told me to build a silent PC running OS Sierra (hence why i'm here), he wants it to be as compact and small as possible (like a mini mac), and also to be able to use his imac as a monitor. He doesn't want to play any games, so i think an igpu will be enough for this build. He will also not do any heavy production work, just simple internet browsing, excel/word and some light photo and video editing. So this is the build i'm thinking of doing:

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 GAMING-ITX/AC (i need a mobo with an integrated displayport)
CPU: Intel Core i3 7100
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
RAM: 8GB DDR4 dual channel of whatever is the cheapest
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 240GB SSD
CASE: Streacom F1CWS Evo HTPC (Best looking case i found that has almost the same form factor as a mini mac)
PSU: Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT

I would like to know if i'll run into some kind of incompatibility with this build, and would also like to know if it's possible to use my father's imac as a monitor to this hackintosh using the mobo's displayport port (via displayport to mini-displayport cable).
If you have any changes that you would do this build, please let me know!

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok so I did a bit of research and found this:
and it is very recent. You won't get Christmas or holiday pricing but I am not sure if it is Hackintosh friendly :/

You should have no problem with the build so long as you follow the guides. WiFi card is not compatible. You will have to get another one if you want WiFi.

The case you chose is very good for his needs. You can always expand if he wants to add a low profile GPU. The case in the above video is also nice too.

Start buying the SSD only and build that into your dad`s iMac. It will probably suit him just fine. It will make a huge difference on that iMac.

It is not as fun as building a new hack...but would make sense.

Anyway - if it does not work out than you at least have the first part of his new hack;)

I'm interested to the project.
I like to know if there is any possibility to use the monitor of the imac via displayport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back