Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
RX 560
As it may be useful to others, here's how I successfully upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan.

Note that my Yosemite installation was a Clover install.

1. I upgraded to the latest Clover - in my case 3270 using the package installer

2. I edited the existing Clover config.plist to include "rootless=0" in the arguments section. (My existing config.plist is custom - c-state and p-state generation, trim enabler, etc)

3. I also edited the config.plist to include the following in the RtVariables section

<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>

4. I copied my existing FakeSMC.kext from /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

5. I then ran the El Capitan GM candidate Install app from the hard drive. This will run in a minute or two

6. On restart, an extra volume called "Install OS X" will appear in the Clover volume menu - it's important to boot from this, not the regular boot volume. It's here that the real work gets done - this will take +- 30 minutes to run.

7. On the next reboot, boot from the regular boot volume. Booting will take a while.

End result is that El Capitan is up and running flawlessly, with trim enabled, etc. Note I don't have USB 3, and don't bother with on board audio. Also note that I didn't try to see if the config.plist mods above were all required!

I did much the same thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but using the "rootless=0" flag isn't necessary as it's been deprecated in the GM release. I only inserted the RTvariables into Clover config.plist

I was initially thrown off by the first installer reboot, but figured it out from there.

I did much the same thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but using the "rootless=0" flag isn't necessary as it's been deprecated in the GM release. I only inserted the RTvariables into Clover config.plist

I was initially thrown off by the first installer reboot, but figured it out from there.

rootless=0 hasn't been relevant since PB 3 or 4 :think: , CsrActiveConfig is all that is needed

BooterConfig, is needed for something, I just cant remember what. And I know different values of BooterConfig have been and are being tested at IM

Hmmm. Well, on my system regardless of whether BooterConfig is set or not, I get the same SIP configuration

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: enabled
DTrace Restrictions: enabled
NVRAM Protections: enabled

I've tried this guide, and Tony's, and I keep getting "Service exited with abnormal code: 255". I have tried -v and nv_disable =1 with rootless=0, no use. Not sure what else I need. Any pointers out there?

I'm not sure the service exited thing is really the problem.

What actually happens? Freeze? If so, try removing all the numbered directories under EFI/CLOVER/kexts/ and put the latest version of FakeSMC.kext (only) into the Other/ directory and see if you get any farther.

If you have an unsupported GPU I think you'll need nv_disable=1 no matter what (until you can install El Capitan and some appropriate Nvidia Web drivers). Rootless isn't going to help; instead you need the RtVariables in the first post.

Success GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 and MSI GTX 770 OC 2 Gb:

-Backup Clover Config
-Update Clover
-Add RtVariables with Clover Config
-for my system I use DSDT and SSDT and leave in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched
-Copy FakeSMC 10.10 to 10.11
-Reboot for test If its OK
-Run Installer downloaded from APP Store and auto reboot
-In Boot loader select "Install Os X" Volume
-Proceed to install and wait, took 20 min in a SSD
-Reboot

Woking OOB:

-Sound with basic ports (Update: using Toleda Clover inject from https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-110.command.zip solve the problem.)
-Lan RTL
-Trim
-USB2

Some issues:

-iCloud account frequent request for pass, in this moment not show any maybe its ok.
-Downloads from Mega Freeze Safari
-Some times About this mac not show anything
-USB3 ports reboot my system (Kext Problem?)

Happy Hack!

I updated from Yosemite to El Capitan this morning and now I can't boot at all, I got through the first step and ran install El Capitan from Clover, and on reboot I cannot go further... everytime I attempt to boot from OS X my system restarts itself.

I have tried nv_disable=1, -x, rootless=0 and -v to trouble shoot but can't find what the problem is.
Running my yosemite install USB doesn't work, and neither does the recovery option.

Any ideas?

IMG_6755.jpgIMG_6754.jpgIMG_6753.jpgIMG_6752.jpgIMG_6755.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back