Contribute
Register

MINI-GUIDE for new ProBook installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4740s
CPU
i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (Ivy Bridge-MB PGA SV)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2), Radeon (not disabled)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
EDIT: This thread is obsolete since RehabMan updated his guide. You can safely ignore it. :)

This is just a very brief HowTo for the beginner. It's only the outline, for some models extra steps may be necessary.

Follow this guide but STOP RIGHT BEFORE "STEP 4: Post-Installation Using MultiBeast". Instead of MultiBeast use ProBookInstaller in its latest incarnation (version 6.1beta6 of as of this writing).

Run ProBookInstaller and select the options that match your hardware and OS version.

• Kernel extensions: 1 option of the kexts (kernel extensions).
  • DSDT patches: 1 option (only!) each
    • for ProBook model,
    • for desired fan behaviour ("original fan" means high rpm = noisy fan behaviour, "quiet fan" is more moderate, "readings" only enables sensors),
    • and for display type (the "1080p screen mod" is also necessary for 1600x900 internal screens).
    • Optional: The Atheros patch is only necessary for some Wi-Fi cards, see here. The USB 3.0 patch is obsolete, its functionality has been replaced by a kernel extension.
  • SSDT is required for a first install.
  • A system definition for a Mac that most closely resembles the hardware of your Probook (don't know whether this is optional).
  • Chimera is a must, it installs the stuff required for booting into your new Mac OS.
  • Optional fixes and Misc OS X fixes can be added later if necessary.
  • Extra Tools are great, this option saves web searching and downloading later.

Click Continue...
...and PBI will install all required kernel extensions, create an /Extra folder with Hackintosh stuff, extract the DSDT, patch it, and save it into /Extra, and also deposit more stuff on your desktop. If this included a "DSDT Warning.txt" -- read it (before rebooting!) and follow its instructions.

Reboot.

That's about the basics that should get you up and running.

Note that is highly recommended to rerun the DSDT (and SSDT?) options in PBI whenever you changed your hardware.

dg

Ab little fertilizer is always welcome. :)
The cited guide is for PBI 6.0 and much development has been going on while you've been holding in. Just compare the DSDT handling, for example.
dg

* grabs gold class cinema seats and popcorn (food and beverage) for epic showdown.

Ab little fertilizer is always welcome. :)
The cited guide is for PBI 6.0 and much development has been going on while you've been holding in. Just compare the DSDT handling, for example.
dg
PBI 6.1 is still in beta, and probably the reason why RehabMan hasn't updated the thread yet...
Btw, you might want to check your instructions as it's not entirely correct ;)

PBI 6.1 is still in beta, and probably the reason why RehabMan hasn't updated the thread yet...

Right. But now and then people jump in using it without any detailed guide, and get confused with older documentation.

Btw, you might want to check your instructions as it's not entirely correct ;)

Right again, the line beginning with "DSDT:" should not have been indented.
Something else I missed? Now we KNOW that you are able to provide constructive criticism -- you can't hide any more. :D Ha!

Sorry, appleiscool, that's all a bit lame for an epic showdown, but the issue just doesn't support more than a little bickering. :D May I recommend EXAM (the movie) for entertainment instead?

dg

Right. But now and then people jump in using it without any detailed guide, and get confused with older documentation.

...Sorry, appleiscool, that's all a bit lame for an epic showdown, but the issue just doesn't support more than a little bickering. :D May I recommend EXAM (the movie) for entertainment instead?

dg

thanks, was a bit of humor from a confused noob. i'll prob have to catch up on other dvd's . thx.

i'll just read the updates on the pbi as they come along, before i doing a fresh install.

Right again, the line beginning with "DSDT:" should not have been indented.
Something else I missed? Now we KNOW that you are able to provide constructive criticism -- you can't hide any more. :D Ha!
:lol:
Ok: "SSDT is required for a first install." Isn't SSDT only required for those that have an 'other than standard' screen (either 1080p replacement and the models with the 17")?

:lol:
Ok: "SSDT is required for a first install." Isn't SSDT only required for those that have an 'other than standard' screen (either 1080p replacement and the models with the 17")?

SSDT is required to tell OS X about your CPU's power management. It has nothing to do with a screen. Unless you are talking Mini-SSDTs which are like small, but separate DSDT patches used temporarily until you have a full patched DSDT.

SSDT is required to tell OS X about your CPU's power management. It has nothing to do with a screen. Unless you are talking Mini-SSDTs which are like small, but separate DSDT patches used temporarily until you have a full patched DSDT.

Pfwwwww... And I nearly though Big had got me! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back