Contribute
Register

Mini Cube — H110MSTX-HD3 — i7-7700T — RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
@phunguss do you still have the file you used to print your rear IO panel?. If so would you mind sharing it?. And what software did you use?.

@craighazan I have attached my STL file here. I use LightWave3D for the last 25 years, so I stick with that for 3D work. It exports STL ok. Also included in the zip is the shroud to connect the back panel to a cooler model Dynatron K2.

Attachments

• MacMini-STL.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 103
@craighazan I have attached my STL file here. I use LightWave3D for the last 25 years, so I stick with that for 3D work. It exports STL ok. Also included in the zip is the shroud to connect the back panel to a cooler model Dynatron K2.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 6.12.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 6.10.31 PM.png

Thank you for sharing @phunguss. I opened them in Tinkercad, a web based CAD/3D Object tool. I found it quick and easy, just using objects from a library.

Last edited:
I haven't done this very well, but I thought maybe a small nod to the 2019 Mac Pro.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.13.02 PM.png

IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg
2009 Mac mini 3,1 Rear IO
Power switch​
Front LED

@phunguss and @Charlee78, I have some questions about the 2009 Mac mini case. I guess I'm cutting the rear IO off and replacing with the 3D printed version. Do I need to salvage this small board?. The power switch is also attached to the same board, can that be used in the build?. The same for the small LED at the front, will this work on the GA-H110MSTX motherboard?. It has some glue on the base, I guess it was fixed with either tape or pad. I can rub it but it's a bit stubborn.

Last edited:
Do I need to salvage this small board?. The power switch is also attached to the same board, can that be used in the build?. The same for the small LED at the front, will this work on the GA-H110MSTX motherboard?. It has some glue on the base, I guess it was fixed with either tape or pad. I can rub it but it's a bit stubborn.

IMG_0465z.jpg

On the back panel, the 2005-2007 model is just a momentary switch, and my back panel is modified to fit the original button. Mine eventually pried off, maybe some heat from a hair dryer/heat gun would make the tape softer to remove. I am not sure if the 2009 has more circuitry than that without you removing the metal shield and showing us.

IMG_0466z.jpg

You can see where my 'clear glue' has yellowed. I probably need to add some filler and sand it a little.
IMG_0468z.jpg

The small LED at the front should be able to be used as well, I have not messed with that yet. Not sure if its a 3.3v or 5v LED.

IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg
2009 Mac mini 3,1 inside rear IO Rear IO shield with audio ports
Power button

Thanks phunguss!. I successfully removed the rear IO board and shield, and I did it without breaking anything!, happy days. Apples numerous plastic rivet heads were easy to break off with guided use of a flat edged screw driver. Removing the stubborn IO shield proved a little complicated. I couldn't tell if it was attached to the base plate, but all I had to do was gently lift it up and it came away, it wasn't attached to the base. Why did Apple angle the vents?, its a fascinating structure to look at, air flow, blocking the inside view?. Phunguss your vents are pointing in the opposite direction, was that deliberate?. I also removed the power switch which looks identical to yours, I left the LED in place, I'll look into what voltage it is.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 9.47.32 AM.png

Still working on the rear IO that phunguss Kindly shared. I modified the vents by creating a small piece of 2019 Power Mac grille to replace it with. I'm thinking about printing this in pieces because of the 120x120x120 print area that I will soon have available to me, the rear IO piece measures 130mm across.

I tested the front LED with a 3.3v coin battery and it lights up. Maybe not as bright as its supposed to, so maybe it is 5v, I have not tested that yet.

I'm thinking about printing this in pieces because of the 120x120x120 print area that I will soon have available to me, the rear IO piece measures 130mm across.
Have you tried turning it 45 degrees to see if it will fit within your print area? It should be close.

- As a note, there are two external wifi antenna holes in my model. One between the power and VGA ports, and one above the HDMI and below the lock hole. If you are using internal antennas, you can fill those holes.

I tested the front LED with a 3.3v coin battery and it lights up. Maybe not as bright as its supposed to, so maybe it is 5v, I have not tested that yet.

Have you tried turning it 45 degrees to see if it will fit within your print area? It should be close.

- As a note, there are two external wifi antenna holes in my model. One between the power and VGA ports, and one above the HDMI and below the lock hole. If you are using internal antennas, you can fill those holes.

thanks phunguss that’s good to know about the LED. I wondered about putting it on an angle, does it still print flat on the print bed?. Or does it print it at 45 degrees?. Thanks for the info on the holes for the antenna, I’ll rake that into consideration.

I guess it does fit at 45 degrees!. Thats going to solve a lot of issues, learning of lot of cool stuff with this project.
Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 3.49.25 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back