Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I somehow thought that I could just upgrade my mavericks build to Yosemite through the App Store [pause for laugh], knowing my mistake I now have a drive that is sort of upgraded but doesn't work, a clone (Mavericks), and a time machine build (Mavericks).

Going from here, should I :

A) clean install on original drive yosemite, then use migration assistant to migrate data from time machine backup (Mavericks)

B) clean install on original drive Yosemite, then use migration assistant to migrate data from clone (Mavericks)

C) restore the original drive from clone then upgrade using Yosemite directions

D) boot form either the clone or my fourth drive that's a clean install of Mavericks and tinker with original drive to try and install Yosemite over it.

I have never migrated from an old OS to a new OS using the migration tool, so I'm worried how that works out but I'm guessing you can without issues. I'm also OCD when it comes to files and worry that the clone or the time machine won't have everything for some reason or the migration assistant won't migrate everything even though I just updated each before doing the upgrade. But that's me.

Thank you for your advice. I love having a hackintosh.

I understand your problem. My solution is to have a "data store" on each machine. This drive or larger partition contains my media and project files and folders. Then I have bootable partitions of Mavericks and Yosemite along with backup clones of each. Up until recently this was all done using Tony's Unibeast and Multibeast with Chimera booting.

And some cases I also have TimeMachine running for the default boot partition.

I have a OS X server machine, off line until needed, that has copies of the current and old versions of my data store along with copies of all OS X updates and major releases. Plus many things that I keep just because.

So most of my machines have at least two versions of OS X and one data store. There was a time that I used the Migration app to copy the apps to each new bootable partition. However I have re-thought that practice and now have a USB stick with those apps that I just have have on each partition and don't feel as each machine needs everything on them.

So my advice is to have both Mavericks and Yosemite system drives on your machine along with backup clones. And enjoy OS X.

OBW my choice is still to use Mavericks 10.9.5.

Good modding
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back