Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys!
Im running 10.9.2 and want to switch my 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD from NTFS to HSF+, since I read that the reason for OSx to be NTFS read only is that is not natively supported, and risky to dodge this and write on it anyways.

Now, my disk has about 400GB used, and about 600 free, and by now I don't have any other drive to backup my files, but I do have time to do the next:

I was thinking in the possibility of making a HSF+ partition out of those free 600GB and move there all files in the NTFS partition as a backup. Then, erasing the NTFS one and make a new HSF+, then merge the two partitions in one.

:crazy:

Does that has any sense?
Any advices?
Should I better backup to other drive?

Years ago, I tried to resize a partition in Windows using Partition Magic, but this process damaged the part table and took me some hours of regrets and headaches to bring all to normal.

You could theoretically make a 600 GB HFS+ partition, copy all of the files to it, delete the NTFS partition, and then expand the HFS+ to full size. Although you'd have to do some of it in windows and some in OSX. The safest and easiest way would be to just use another drive as a middle man.

I, and many others use Paragon NTFS (there are other options as well) and have zero issues writing to my NTFS drives.

Dah!
I went for the easy solution and did what I didn't want: used my old 1TB HDD which I just switched 2 months ago. I just hope the files don't come corrupt when it finishes the copy process, because it had some problems.

Thank you for answering guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back