CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 960
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had Mountain Lion installed and working fine on a 4530 i5, but I was expecting more from the system (in terms of audio performance) than it could deliver.

So, I pulled the SSD drive out and put it in a 4530 i7 2670QM. And, as I expected, upon startup I got a kernel panic. I'm probably going to have to go through the entire install again… no real biggie, but as I have the system loaded with stuff, if I can avoid a completely new install, that would be great.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone might suggest specifically what items need to be removed from the system (and where are they). Using the ProBook installer, I know I'll need to re-install a new CPU SSDT for my new processor. Will the new install replace the old one or does the old one need to be manually removed?

It's the graphics card/DSDT I'm really wondering about. This particular model 4530 (LJ521UT) comes with a Radeon 6490M. It also, as I understand it, comes with Intel 3000 onboard graphics. I had read somewhere that the Radeon Card can be disabled in the BIOS, allowing the Intel graphics to function, but it didn't say where or how, and I can't find where to do it. Additionally, I also see that the ProBook Installer has a DSDT specifically for 4530s with Radeon Cards… is the 6490M supported? Can I forget about disabling it in the BIOS?

Thanks for any help,
Rob

I had Mountain Lion installed and working fine on a 4530 i5, but I was expecting more from the system (in terms of audio performance) than it could deliver.

So, I pulled the SSD drive out and put it in a 4530 i7 2670QM. And, as I expected, upon startup I got a kernel panic. I'm probably going to have to go through the entire install again… no real biggie, but as I have the system loaded with stuff, if I can avoid a completely new install, that would be great.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone might suggest specifically what items need to be removed from the system (and where are they). Using the ProBook installer, I know I'll need to re-install a new CPU SSDT for my new processor. Will the new install replace the old one or does the old one need to be manually removed?

It's the graphics card/DSDT I'm really wondering about. This particular model 4530 (LJ521UT) comes with a Radeon 6490M. It also, as I understand it, comes with Intel 3000 onboard graphics. I had read somewhere that the Radeon Card can be disabled in the BIOS, allowing the Intel graphics to function, but it didn't say where or how, and I can't find where to do it. Additionally, I also see that the ProBook Installer has a DSDT specifically for 4530s with Radeon Cards… is the 6490M supported? Can I forget about disabling it in the BIOS?

Thanks for any help,
Rob

You can probably get away with just replacing the DSDT and SSDT with the files appropriate for your new machine. So, you should be able to boot your installed partition using your Unibeast USB stick, then run the ProBook installer to grab just the SSDT and DSDT.

You can probably get away with just replacing the DSDT and SSDT with the files appropriate for your new machine. So, you should be able to boot your installed partition using your Unibeast USB stick, then run the ProBook installer to grab just the SSDT and DSDT.

Do I need to go in and delete the old files before installing the new files, or will the ProBook Installer write over them.

Right now, I can't even boot up frm the MLion. I get a kernel panic on startup. I CAN boot up from another partition that has Lion on it, but then the ProBook Installer wants to install to that volume.

If I know the specific names of the files I'm removing and replacing, I can go in a cherry-pick. But I don't know where they get installed and what they are named.

Do I need to go in and delete the old files before installing the new files, or will the ProBook Installer write over them.

Right now, I can't even boot up frm the MLion. I get a kernel panic on startup. I CAN boot up from another partition that has Lion on it, but then the ProBook Installer wants to install to that volume.

If I know the specific names of the files I'm removing and replacing, I can go in a cherry-pick. But I don't know where they get installed and what they are named.

Just two files:

/Extra/ssdt.aml
-and-
/Extra/dsdt.aml

You might be able to boot from your Unibeast USB then select your installed partition (like you do in second phase of fresh installation). If you can't do that, you can always remove the files completely (boot Unibeast USB but boot into the OS X installer, then choose terminal to do the work). You can also extract the files using Pacifist then copy them using Terminal (again, boot Unibeast USB to do the work, or do it from your working Lion partition). Also you could run the ProBook installer from your working Lion partition -- just change the destination volume in the Installer (it's weird -- you have to select the destination after making the selections, then make the selections again... you'll see). Lot's of possibilities here...

Oh, to answer your question -- ProBook installer will overwrite the files...

Just two files:

/Extra/ssdt.aml
-and-
/Extra/dsdt.aml

... you could run the ProBook installer from your working Lion partition -- just change the destination volume in the Installer (it's weird -- you have to select the destination after making the selections, then make the selections again... you'll see)...

That did it... thanks... saved me several hours.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back