Contribute
Register

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tryed a beta some months ago. It didn't install on top of windows 8, it resetted all system and had to reinstall all softwares. do you know if is still this way or if they changed it?

I am glad that we have choices. I just upgraded my one Windows 8 drive to 8.1 and continue to be disappointed with MS. The drive is set aside again for those rare occasions that I have to use a 64 bit version of Windows.

Good modding,
neil

Will Windows 8.1 run under Parallels 8 or do I need to upgrade to Parallels 9 first?

i've had win 8.1 installed since it went gold, had it on a my sata 3 2tb drive, win 8 on a 1tb, osx 10.8.5 on another 1tb... they live in perfect harmony! :thumbup:

it's always best practice to disconnect all the other drives when installing a newer OS. also, i've always preferred a clean install over an update... never had issues doing it this way for more than 20 years.

I, too, dual boot 10.8.5 and W8. I use two ssd's; one for each OS. Chimera is my boot loader and W8 is my default OS.

I tried the 8.1 update twice with NO success. Error 0x80073BC3??? Could find NO info on that error???

So, I disconnected the OS X ssd; and re-tried the update. Now, it booted straight to W8 and the update went flawlessly.

Tomorrow, I will reconnect the Hack ssd and see what occurs?

More tomorrow.

It's tomorrow. Reconnected drive and duel boot is fine. Win 8.1 & 10.8.5

Installed Windows 8.1. This time it didn't wipe system, all software previously installed work flawlessly, apart of a couple of tools I had to reinstall.

Installed it without any problems. Dual booting between OS X and 8.1 is still working fine. The upgrade apparently removed Avast from my computer. Coincidence?

This is essentially a complete revamp of the OS. Depending on how the drives are seen by the bios and the board you are using, if you are using a dual boot system, the upgrade will fail with 0x80073BC3-0x20009 error and will reverse the install back to 8.0. You are advised to disconnect you Mac OS drive and and complete the upgrade install independently, no other drives in the mix. Reconnecting back will work fine with Chimera bootloader. (If you don't see percentages of completion after reboot during the upgrade process, it has failed to upgrade and will reverse back to 8.0)

Further, if you are using Microsoft Tookit to activate Office 2013 if will be deactivated and you will not be able to reactivate at this time. Office 2010 does not have the same issues.

There will be a WindowsOld folder created, after the upgrade, (Hence the complete revamp), and this can be deleted using Disk Cleanup through administrative tools selecting cleanup system files, and then choosing remove old windows files, but beware, this is not a reversible process.

Forgot IE 11. Java incompatible, Acrobat plugins incompatible, and I am sure there other plugins that are incompatible with new security. Worthless upgrade. Microsoft not even addressing the fact that there are issues, blaming Oracle for the problem as far as Java is concerned.

This problem occurred in the preview and is still present in pubic release: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ken-in-windows-81s-desktop-internet-explorer-

The Win8.1 update initially failed on my dual-boot desktop (separate SSDs for OS X and Win8). After disconnecting my OS X SSD, the Win8.1 update completed without issue.

The Win8.1 update ran with no issues on my dual-boot laptop (single hard drive with separate partitions for OS X and Win8).

-bth

Same here. Disconnected OSX Drive and install then proceeded without issue.

Glad I read this thread, was driving myself crazy trying to figure out what the issue was (and in hindsight, it made sense the dual boot was to blame).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back