Contribute
Register

Microsoft to Release Windows 10 on July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont really like stating the obvious but :1) all this community is about hackintoshes....so , i spend so much time on making a pc run OSX ...if i wanted windows,wouldn't i stayed there and don't bother with hackintoshing? just saying:) on my desktop i have dual booted windows and yosemite...but i use windows only for gaming ... 1h a week or sth like that. I had on my lenovo windows ,and decided to do the big step and install only yosemite...never regreted ever since :headbang:

...i have dual booted windows and yosemite...but i use windows only for gaming ...
Precisely - and so do many others. Some of us also have Windows only apps or apps that work better in Windows that we use to make $$$ so it makes sense to install both.

I'm a OS X man but i do run solidworks on windows 7 64 which is necessary for my day job ..

solidworks is CPU optimised/limited so running it on a VM in OSX reduces its processing capability somewhat so i dual boot OSX & windows on my main machine.

Does anybody if know if we will be allowed a install our free copies of Windows 10 as a clean install on another drive so that we can keep our existing/working windows install as a fall back .. until we're 100% happy with Windows 10 ? or must the free upgrade be installed over an existing windows install ?

Cheers
Jay

I'm a OS X man but i do run solidworks on windows 7 64 which is necessary for my day job ..

solidworks is CPU optimised/limited so running it on a VM in OSX reduces its processing capability somewhat so i dual boot OSX & windows on my main machine.

Does anybody if know if we will be allowed a install our free copies of Windows 10 as a clean install on another drive so that we can keep our existing/working windows install as a fall back .. until we're 100% happy with Windows 10 ? or must the free upgrade be installed over an existing windows install ?

Cheers
Jay
From what I gather from testing the Beta versions in discussions with the development group, a clean install on a new drive is an option, but your previous license key for win7/8/8.1 is now assigned to your Win10 forever. If you want to use your old drive you either have to buy a new key or keep it totally off-line and never connect it to the internet. It was also discussed the option to roll back to your old version like Win7 upgrade to Win8 could be rolled back to Win7, but that was for an install over existing - don't know for sure if you can do it with a clean install.
Your best bet might be to clone the Win7 or create an image that you can restore later before doing the upgrade.

I'm very upset about MS intentions to drop Windows Media Center from Win 10. I have media center PCs hooked up to all my TVs and PC workstations.

I use WMC as a substitute for a cable box. WMC is the ONLY app that will allow you to watch DRM copy protected content on cable TV with a cable card. My TV tuner is an HD Homerun Prime network device with cable card. I can watch ANY channel I subscribe to using this and WMC. All other apps will only allow you to watch copy freely channels which in my case on TWC are only the broadcast channels, NO CABLE CHANNELS except for junk shopping channels.

I'm curious to understand why MS would do such a thing especially to it's customers who went out of their way to buy WMC as an add-on to 8.1 or to any customer with Win 7 or XP WMC. I understand they dropped support for WMC in 2009, but why not let those who want to use it, use it in Win 10?

My OSX machine can run other TV apps and I can watch TV on them, but none of them can do what WMC does.

So it looks like I will NOT be upgrading to 10 on my main computer. Maybe I will on my laptops, but I'm not happy about it.

If I'm wrong about no other app being able to watch copy protected channels of live TV, please let me know. I'm eager to find out what it is so I can get it.

From what I gather from testing the Beta versions in discussions with the development group, a clean install on a new drive is an option, but your previous license key for win7/8/8.1 is now assigned to your Win10 forever.

@GB,

Thats a real PTA .....

Would it be possible to install Win-10 as a VM using VM Fusion under OSX be an option ? .... but still keep dual boot Win 7 until i'm sure i want to make the leap .... ?

I stupidly clicked on the reserve free update and now windows update says it will download and update when it released ... i'm thinking maybe i was a bit premature in doing that :shifty:

It's this sort of ethos by M$ that caused me to get away from Windoze in the first place.

Jay

@GB,

Thats a real PTA .....

Would it be possible to install Win-10 as a VM using VM Fusion under OSX be an option ? .... but still keep dual boot Win 7 until i'm sure i want to make the leap .... ?

I stupidly clicked on the reserve free update and now windows update says it will download and update when it released ... i'm thinking maybe i was a bit premature in doing that :shifty:

It's this sort of ethos by M$ that caused me to get away from Windoze in the first place.

Jay
Clicking on the button supposedly just reserves your copy. When you gave your email they will send to you a notice and a link to download the upgrade.

The upgrade notice icon is Windows update KB3035583. If you do not want to upgrade now or ever, go to Start->Control Panel->System and Security->Windows Updates and click on the View update history. Look for this update and select it, click on uninstall an update. This removes it. Reboot.
Now click on check for updates, find this update, and select to hide it.

In any case, I think there is a cancel option once the update downloads. In the meantime, I would turn off automatic updates if you have it on until after the end of July.

i dont really like stating the obvious but :1) all this community is about hackintoshes....so , i spend so much time on making a pc run OSX ...if i wanted windows,wouldn't i stayed there and don't bother with hackintoshing? just saying:) on my desktop i have dual booted windows and yosemite...but i use windows only for gaming ... 1h a week or sth like that. I had on my lenovo windows ,and decided to do the big step and install only yosemite...never regreted ever since :headbang:

yes this site is about OS X install procedures and such...
but
like me there are users that may need to use windows for apps that will only run on windows,,
and like OS X many of us like to keep up to date....
and I'm hearing this new version is quite the improvement...tbd ?
i personally prefer OS X or unix/linux

The upgrade notice icon is Windows update KB3035583. If you do not want to upgrade now or ever, go to Start->Control Panel->System and Security->Windows Updates and click on the View update history. Look for this update and select it, click on uninstall an update. This removes it. Reboot.
Now click on check for updates, find this update, and select to hide it.

@GB,

Many thanks for tip to remove the Win-10 update icon, been bugging me for a while ...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back