RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 10.49.30 AM.png
Microsoft will offer free upgrades for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users starting July 29, 2015. Users will be able to do upgrades or install clean versions of Windows 10.

Source:
http://www.techpowerup.com/213052/windows-10-release-date-announced.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

Is this going to be another "If you have 32bit Windows you can only get 32bit Win10" free upgrade deals?

Only the OEM Windows license has a bit-specific license.

Windows retail licenses have always had 32-bit and 64-bit on the same product key with both DVDs provided.

I have not read anything about the details regarding upgrades of OEM licenses and what kind of flexibility there will be.

I had thought that with this MS "One" theme that they are advertising that there would be just
One version of Win10. Looks like there will still be 3 or 4 versions. At least they're letting people
upgrade from Win7 Basic or Starter versions to Win10 home. Not that those underpowered
devices will run Windows 10 very well. :|

TRS 2015-06-03 at 7.26.23 AM.jpg

I tried out the Windows 10 beta, and it did seem like a big improvement over Windows 8.1 both in bootup speed and general responsiveness. Also it seems less complicated to get around.

Not that I enjoy working in Windows, but in my testing it's better than before. :thumbup:

Agreed - I have been using it on a VM (since it's release) as a test/mgmt box for my VMware environment, and I must say it is quite an improvement over Windows 8/8.1. My current rig is dual-booted with Windows (which I never boot into anyway) so I will definitely be upgrading when the time comes. I most likely won't use it too much tho since I use Windows all day at work...need something different at home and I prefer OS X. In any case, it's good to see Windows has actually made a nice improvement to their OS. :thumbup:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-can-be-clean-installed-during-and-after-free-upgrade
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-official-specifications-and-deprecated-features
I believe reserved copy ISO download will same bit version as machine it was reserved on. Why would anyone want to use a 32 bit version anyway…?
Enterprise and Volume license copies of 7, 8 and 8.1 will not get upgrade free by download through windows update.
Upgrade notification reservation icon already appears in task bar through Window update on 7 and 8.
Features have been removed. No media center, no way to play video DVD’s with a vanilla copy using only OS software. Must use 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party software.
Windows update has changed.
Release should start the process of removing support for 7 with a firm date TBD. Mainstream support ended Jan 13 2015, Security Updates end Jan 14[SUP]th[/SUP] 2020.
[FONT=&quot]Can I go to 64-bit Windows 10?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Will I be able to go from 32-bit Windows 8.1 to 64-bit Windows 10? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not directly. If you let Windows Update upgrade your system “in place”, it will always do it on a like-for-like basis: 32-bit to 32-bit; 64-bit to 64-bit. If you want to move from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit version, it always requires a “clean installation” from a DVD or USB drive or whatever. This will delete your old operating system, programs and data, so you will have to re-install everything from scratch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the preview versions, it looks as though Microsoft will at some point enable Windows 10 to import backups made using Windows 7’s backup program. But, frankly, I’d make a fresh start.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How can I avoid Windows 10?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I most definitely DO NOT want to upgrade to Windows 10. How can I make sure this quasi-enforced upgrade does not happen? And how can I get rid of that nagging “reminder” on my Taskbar? Dolores[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nobody is forcing you to get Windows 10. If you don’t want it, don’t reserve it or install it.[/FONT]

I have all my Windows machines setup for the upgrade.... (my house looks like a computer store)
running about every type of OS under the sun here....Good times for me ! :headbang:

I wonder if they will allow the Technical Preview users to get a free copy... because no version of windows is worth more than 40 dollars in my opinion.

I wonder if they will allow the Technical Preview users to get a free copy... because no version of windows is worth more than 40 dollars in my opinion.
Nope - previewers have to buy if they want to upgrade the preview version to the release version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back