Contribute
Register

MicroATX Build, Need Advice on MoBo and CPU please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Rev 1.0
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I'm looking to building a super-small, but more importantly, super easy to hack machine.

Right now, I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

A requirement is to have HDMI Audio easily (the 2105 has HD 3000 graphics). I am not looking to get a discrete graphics card.

I know that Gigabyte is coming out with new boards, but is it worth waiting for them? Also: is HDMI video AND AUDIO easy with this?

(Also, if you're feeling extra kind, could someone do a quick run through on how to enable HDMI audio on this?)

Please suggest anything you want, I'm all ears!

Hi all,

I'm looking to building a super-small, but more importantly, super easy to hack machine.

Right now, I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

A requirement is to have HDMI Audio easily (the 2105 has HD 3000 graphics). I am not looking to get a discrete graphics card.

I know that Gigabyte is coming out with new boards, but is it worth waiting for them? Also: is HDMI video AND AUDIO easy with this?

(Also, if you're feeling extra kind, could someone do a quick run through on how to enable HDMI audio on this?)

Please suggest anything you want, I'm all ears!

Well, your parts list is compatible, but you will need a 350W-450W PSU to power it all and a case to put it in.
For HDMI audio you will need to extract and patch your DSDT - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/31716-guide-creating-your-own-dsdt-most-boards.html
Once you have your basic DSDT edits done, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html and the further guides specific to HD3000 audio.

I just wanted to point out that your post title says "MicroATX Build", but the motherboard you've chosen is MiniITX. I don't know if the title was just a mistake or what, but keep in mind when you're choosing a case that you'll need a MiniITX case for that MB.

You're absolutely correct. I meant to type in Mini ITX, but I was actually looking up a Micro ATX board on newegg at the time of posting and my brain switched them around.

Thanks for warning me though, I really appreciate it.

Well, your parts list is compatible, but you will need a 350W-450W PSU to power it all and a case to put it in.
For HDMI audio you will need to extract and patch your DSDT - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/31716-guide-creating-your-own-dsdt-most-boards.html
Once you have your basic DSDT edits done, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html and the further guides specific to HD3000 audio.

Thanks for this link, I've been reading through it, and it's been helping me understand what I need to do!

I actually have a full size system running OS X right now and this is helpful. I'm still troubleshooting things, but it really has been a true help, thanks!

Also, the case I have picked out has a built in 250W PSU. If I don't have an optical at all, no extra cards, just the above listed parts and a 7200 RPM HDD, do you think 250W will cut it?

Also, the case I have picked out has a built in 250W PSU. If I don't have an optical at all, no extra cards, just the above listed parts and a 7200 RPM HDD, do you think 250W will cut it?

If you add 1 3.5" 7200 rpm HDD to your parts list and run it thru the calculator on NewEgg it says 185W, so your 250W PSU will be enough. You will definitely want to upgrade the PSU if you ever decide to add a gfx card that requires 4/6/8/12 pin power from the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back