Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I might upgrade my aging HTPC, a AMD 3500 build with a Micro ATX board. I've seen some good deals on Micro ATX boards from Gigabyte like the GA-H55-S2H.

On newegg, I looked at the specs [click here] and it's got Realtek ALC888B for audio and Realtek 8111D for LAN, so it looks compatible with current kexts.

I figured since it is a 55 board, although a smaller M-ATX version, that it probably possible to convert into a Hackintosh? I wonder what DSDT is similar. I checked the DSDT database and did not see one for this H55 board.

The other question is that I might use a i3 540 for the CPU (part of a combo deal with mobo). I haven't been following the latest hackintosh workarounds for the newer Clarksdale Intel chips, so no idea if the i3, in particular the 540 model, will work with Snow Leopard.

If not, no big deal as I can run Windows and Linux on it. I also assume the IGP (integrated graphics) on the i3 Clarksdale is not working with Hackintosh yet anyway? Although I've got an arsenal of video cards lying around (4550, 7600GT, 8600GTS, etc) that I could use if need be.

It would just be cool to have another Hackintosh. I kind of liking building them now. LOL

I did some research, looks like someone got it working, but had to go through a few hoops so not as easy as regular P55 boards, used different kernel, changing busratio to fix audio, etc.

Evermore in this post on insanelymac [click here] mentions how he got the H55 board working with i3 530 CPU. Even used Tonys Boot CD to do the initial install of Snow Leopard. I'm assuming using a i3 540 won't make much of difference.

There are no guarantees of course, but I have a feeling that the i3 will eventually find its way into future Macs at some point. Even if it doesn't I'm sure there will be more support for it in the hackintosh community.

Someone on the board here was trying to get it to work, but I don't recall if they succeeded.

Here is the post I remembered seeing:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151

Seems like you can get it running with a patched kernel and kernel flags.

True. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the money to buy the board as it looks feasible right now.

I just bought 3 20inch S-IPS LCD panels on blowout ($100 each). Since I do design work I prefer IPS and MVA panels than TN panels and I was also thinking of getting a Radeon card for EyeFinity for a 3 monitor gaming set-up (only in Windows though). I might have extra money coming in as I might get another client, as they want my help do the programming for sumo wrestling site, haha...if that pans out I might pony up the money to try the H55 board.

Ah...just saw your 2nd post. I'll take a look at that link. Someone pm'ed me on how everdone got his H55 board working, doesn't look too complicated.

Three monitors? yowsa! I do freelance web design, but I usually do the coding and leave the graphics to someone else so I can't ever see using 3 monitors (and I have a 23" monitor already). Sumo wrestling, huh? Haha...

What is the difference between IPS, MVA, and TN?

Good luck on the i3 build! I think tony wanted to include support for that on his new multiboot CD.

I forget the technical differences between TN panels and MVA (and PVA) and IPS. TN is the most widespread as I think because it's easier to make, but mainly that it usually has the lowest input lag, which for gamers, is a big deal as they want fast performing LCD screen, with little ghosting issues and quick response time, important for fast twitch games like FPS. TN (twisted neumatic) panels although don't do color as well and their viewing angles are limited.

MVA and IPS have better viewing angles and have better colors. If you've seen Apple Cinema displays, those are IPS. The new iMacs have IPS and LED backlight technology so they look really nice. MVA and IPS are more expensive than TN monitors. MVA generally has darker blacks so it's great for movie watching. IPS are often sought after by designers for better color representation and less banding of colors.

I've got a MVA monitor that I really liked and I also wanted to get IPS monitor but those aren't usually cheap. Dell, Nec, HP make some good IPS monitors. It's hard to go back to TN LCD monitors once you have used a MVA or IPS monitor. Thats why those iMacs are so popular, people fall in love with those IPS screens.

I've only actually seen a newer iMac in person once, but I do remember the screen being very nice (not to mention enormous).

My monitor is an HP w2338h, which I suspect is a TN display. The specs listed at HP's website don't say what specific kind of TFT it is. I haven't decided if I like the shiny screen better than the matte screen of my previous monitor.

Did you decide to bite the bullet and get an H55 board?

Same here. I don't know if I like glossy or matte. I've got TN Samsung panel I like and it's matte, but I have a Dell laptop that is glossy and I like it too.

Haven't bought the H55 board yet. Still on the fence. If I can sell my old Socket 939 computers/parts, I might feel better about opening up the wallet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back