Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
One thing I've learnt about building a Hackintosh, keep everything cool, especially those pesky NVMe drives that like to get really hot!. For those who don't have an M.2 slot, trs96 found the Inateck NVMe adapter that plugs into the X4 slot and very good at keeping the NVMe cool it is!. For those who do have an M.2 slot, may I suggest this, the MHQJRH Yateng Heatsink found on Amazon. it comes with a great choice of colors, very nice, all beautifully packaged with extra screws and a screwdriver.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.52.44 AM.png

Temp range on my [WIP] Dell 7040 MT is comparable with the Inateck adapter which is plugged into the X4 slot, easliy 1/2 the temps of not using a heatsink!, a wise purchase IMO!.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.12.27 AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks, @craighazan! I got a couple to try out in MyHero II. :thumbup:

They look great but I wish the pads on M2 heat sinks (all brands) were not stick-on's.

I have read one user who had issues with his NVMe drive and the manufacturer would not honor the warranty as removing the stick-on heatsink destroyed the label / markings on the drive.

Call it bad support, but something to be aware of.

They look great but I wish the pads on M2 heat sinks (all brands) were not stick-on's.

I have read one user who had issues with his NVMe drive and the manufacturer would not honor the warranty as removing the stick-on heatsink destroyed the label / markings on the drive.

Call it bad support, but something to be aware of.
Yes I broke an NVMe drive by trying to peel off a really sticky heat sink. Fortunately these heat pads are some sort of silicone gel, it’s peels off easily and doesn’t break anything in the process.

Reactions: JBX
craighazan, thanks for the info. I can try one soon as I plan on adding a 2nd NVMe for Big Sur.

One thing I've learnt about building a Hackintosh, keep everything cool, especially those pesky NVMe drives that like to get really hot!.

Do you know if it will fit under the GPU with the heat sync? I have three m.2 slots but one is under the GPU and one takes lanes from the 4x PCIE slot so my TB3 card does not work if I use it.

Do you know if it will fit under the GPU with the heat sync?.
Very good question @scottkendall, My G5 Sapphire also has an NVMe slot underneath the GFX card, a Kingspec with macOS Catalina installed. I can't say for certain that it would fit under the GFX card I would have to get back to you on that. I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 which is quite obese and the plastic shell might interfere with the NVMe heatsink but I am going to purchase another one just to find out.

Last edited:
Very good question @scottkendall, My G5 Sapphire also has an NVMe slot underneath the GFX card, a Kingspec with macOS Catalina installed lives there. I can't say for certain that it would fit under the GFX card I would have to get back to you on that. I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 which is quite obese and the plastic shell might interfere with the NVMe heatsink but I am going to purchase another one just to find out.

cool I will wait for your answer.

@scottkendall, I have good news to share. It would seem, if you have a B550M DS3H and a Gigabyte RX570 handy, then yes!, the MHQJRH in the M.2 slot does indeed fit underneath a GFX card.

IMG_4187.JPG

Can we take a couple of moments to appreciate the beautiful packaging of the MHQJRH.

IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4185.JPG

@scottkendall, I have good news to share. It would seem, if you have a B550M DS3H and a Gigabyte RX570 handy, then yes!, the MHQJRH in the M.2 slot does indeed fit underneath a GFX card.

Can we take a couple of moments to appreciate the beautiful packaging of the MHQJRH.

Thanks for the update, I have a z370 and a vega 64 but I feel like the aftermarket fan shroud on my wife's Saphire RX580 was way larger than on my reference card. I will order a few at a minimum I can at least put one on my main drive. My goal was to only pay for shipping once :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back