Contribute
Register

Memory corrupted after longer sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it, I'm giving up. I've been obviously lucky the past few days, when the corruption always occured in user space processes and the worst thing that happened after sleep was crashed Safari. After a purge, the computer was usable without rebooting for the next day. This night, it rebooted again, cause apparently the same as always.

I'm starting to think it might really be a problem in Yosemite itself - I've found reports from real Mac users on Apple support forums, where symptoms seem very similar to the problems we're experiencing. I have no problem with my MBA, but that proves nothing.

1) Yes, vendor is listed as "Generic" (checked both ways).
2) No, I haven't seen that error when checking disks yet.

Thanks for continuing to work at this problem. I've been busy with other things and haven't been testing actively.

Hey man, I appreciate all the help along with way with this project. I threw the towel in on the sleep and stability issues. It would crash and reboot for me even if the screens went to sleep. I needed it to be stable and didn't see a clear path towards success, so i returned all my parts and bought 21.5 inch iMac :( I reckon its at least $500 over priced and I feel bad about it. I seriously loved the 4790K it is a marvel of engineering.

I have been experimenting a bit with this the last couple of days. I am using a GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 board. I've tried various darkwake values, but so far no luck. I'm curious to know whether you have found out more about this issue.

Hi All,

First, an image worth a thousand words:

Snímka obrazovky 2015-01-05 o 21.14.57.png

Second, I have little idea what was the final change that helped, though I suspect it was the combination of Ballistix memory with the board after all. It could have been other things - the final change that helped, and which I did all at once since I no longer tried to be too scientific about this, was:

• memory replaced with 4x2GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz RAM I've had in my drawer (note that I've tried this before, and I've still had KPs, but there was probably also some other problem at that time)
  • removed the TL-WDN4800, since I've finally found time to pull an ethernet wire to my home office - this had a funny side effect of stopping the bi-hourly darkwakes. I now get no darkwakes at all, but these apparently weren't a problem anyway, as the problem sometimes manifested itself even without darkwakes between regular wakes.
  • changed model to iMac15,1 (I've tried this before, and it alone didn't help)
  • a million other random attempts at fixing the problem which I no longer remember, but never changed anything, such as replacing AppleHDA with VoodooHDA, trying various versions of FakeSMC, removing and the installing FakeSMC plugins, replacing the board with a H81M-HD3 for a while (the symptoms where the same even here), etc...

I've also tried installing Mavericks in the meantime (with the old HW configuration), and it seemed that the problem wasn't present there, though I tested it just for a day or two, and I've been lucky enough to have Yosemite running for a day and a half before.

So it appears to be some strange combination of OS/Mobo/RAM/other that causes the problem, or rather that causes it to go away. I suspect it's the board + RAM, but I have nothing to prove it and I'm too weary to experiment anymore for the time being. 8GB is just fine for me :)

Regards,
Stefan

Congrats on your apparent success and on your persistence! I'm a little bummed you suspect the Crucial Ballistix may be part of the problem since I don't want to have to pay up to replace mine and I really want to stick with 16GB. Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear there's a possibility of getting sleep working.

I've been busy with other projects and haven't been keeping up with the forums, but here's a quick update. I have been running my system with sleep disabled (not too bad with fast SSD boot times!) and have had no crashes or kernel panics while using my system. I have experienced a handful of seemingly random kernel panics when booting, but the system always comes up on reboot; since these kernel panics don't occur with any predictability, I haven't been able to get a screenshot of the panic messages to try diagnosing the problem. The only other problem has been two instances where ethernet stopped working (lots of error messages in the logs; using AppleIntelE1000e.kext v.3.0.4); I haven't looked into this yet either. I'm able to use my system to do the work I built it to do and can get by with sleep disabled, but I still hope to get to have sleep working eventually.

valdagno, this thread is about sleep problems. Your problems were related to random freezes, not related to sleep, as far as I read the thread?

I was experimenting kernel panic after a long sleep of the Computer.

I leave it running overnight and when i touch the keyboard it wake up and after few seconds or father i launch an application i have KP and self reboot.

Hi guys,

I'm now almost 100% convinced it's memory related, or, if valdagno's fix works, it's some combination of Turbo Boost (i.e. power management) and memory, which would also explain why it's specific to Yosemite (Apple loves to tweak PM all the time).

I've been testing four different groups of memory sticks, here are the results:

2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 (original build) - FAIL
4x2GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz CL7 - OK
2x8GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz CL9 - FAIL
2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz CL10 (current) - OK

Note that the last RAM is the only one on the memory support list for my board (Z97-D3H). I thought that the times of "supported" and "unsupported" memory are long gone, but apparently I was mistaken. And these are extreme circumstances after all - any memory seems to work under Windows and Linux just fine (I've tested this with the original Ballistix memory).

Disclaimer: I cannot offer any guarantee that Kingston memory will work for you as it did for me, so please don't spend $$$ for new memory sticks and then blame me if it doesn't work anyway :)

This doesn't really make sense in my case. Even though the memory sticks are on the compatiblity list (see my assumtion below), sleep still doesn't work properly for me.

According to the memory compatiblity list for my motherboard [1], the memory that I have installed should be supported. I bought the Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) kit, with the model number BLS2C8G3D169DS3CEU [2], which I assume 2 x modules with the part number BLS8G3D169DS3[3], since the part numbers are almost equal:

BLS2C8G3D169DS3CEU (16 GB kit)
BLS8G3D169DS3 (1 x 8 GB)

[1] http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z97n-gaming5.pdf
[2] http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/bls2c8g3d169ds3ceu
[3] http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls8g3d169ds3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back