i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

after building many perfectly working Hackintoshes, I've finally managed to build one which I cannot get to the desired level of stability. And, for the first time, I've used "recommended" components exclusively (okay, maybe the SSD is not, but I've had an EVO 840 in the machine before, and the problem was exactly the same)

In short - if I put the computer to sleep for a while, everything is OK after waking up. If the sleep is longer (say a few hours), the computer either panics or reboots soon after wakeup, or is broken in some other way (applications crash immediately after launch, etc.). The panics are completely random, usually confined to the kernel, with a random kext occasionaly appearing in the backtrace.

Here's the build:
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H mobo, F7 BIOS
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU
nVidia GTX 760
16GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 RAM
512GB Crucial M550 SSD
Corsair CX500 PSU

Boot: Clover r2999 (original install on r2976)

I've found several posts describing similar symptoms, however most ended up being problematic memory sticks. I've tried two other sets of memory I've found in my drawers (kingston, corsair), various single/dual channel combinations, clocking settings, the result being always more or less the same. I've also tried various DSDT fix settings in Clover (though after inspection, most of them affect the DSDT very little).

Speaking of DSDT - the DSDT on my board (GA-Z97-D3H, bios F7) appears to be very strange - it's completely uncompilable, containing lots of standalone "Zero" instructions, having many symbol references preceding their declarations, hanging symbol references, etc. However, there are many builds using the same board, so I'm not sure this is a problem - unless I'm the only one with a weird DSDT. Oh, and the "short" sleep works equally well with or without DSDT fixes, no CMOS resets, etc.

So please, did anyone have a similar problem, and found any solution?

Thanks for your help,
Stefan

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting this issue. First hackintosh build here and having similar problems.

My build:
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI (BIOS v.F4)
Intel Core i5-4690
Intel HD 4600
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SSD
TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB 3.5" Internal HDD
Cooler Master V550 PSU
Dell U2412M (over DVI)
OS X 10.10 (14A389)
Clover r2976
System profile: iMac 14,2

Overall, this a pretty smooth process: I followed the guide “How to Install OS X Yosemite using Clover” which got me up and running using the UEFI method with the only change being needing to remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi on the boot drive EFI partition. I followed the recommended BIOS settings and set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1. Subsequently, I got both ethernet ports working (AppleIntelE1000e.kext and AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext), audio working following toleda’s guide (haven’t tested input or S/PDIF), iMessage working following jaymonkey’s guide, enabled TRIM, and fixed the boot screen garble I was seeing. Bluetooth isn’t working right, but I don’t use it.

But I’ve been having some stability problems similar to yours: crashes and spontaneous restarts, which I’ve realized are confined to the first minute or two after waking from longer periods of sleep. I’ve had many successful wakings from shorter periods of sleep, but trying to wake the system after fixing and eating dinner and putting the kids to bed very often results in a crash. Sometimes the restart is within a few seconds of waking, sometimes I’ll get some application crashes first (Safari tabs often, other running apps, Wacom tablet driver, etc.) (I also had problems with the system hibernating and being unable to wake up: 'sudo pmset -a hibernate mode 0' put an end to hibernation and that problem.)

I suspected a memory problem, but don’t have any other compatible ram available to test with. Running memtest86+ from a bootable USB overnight didn’t turn up any problems, however. I tried setting the BIOS “Memory Enhancement Settings” to “Enhanced Stability”, but still get the crashes after waking from longer sleep. That’s as far as my experimentation with BIOS settings has gone so far. I’m completely ignorant about DSDTs and haven’t started investigating that angle.

Currently, I’ve disabled computer sleep in the Energy Saver preference pane as I want to make sure my system is stable otherwise —- so far, so good. Hopefully someone can point us towards a solution to the wake from sleep crashes.

Hi All,

Same problem here.

GA-97-D3H
i5-4690
EVO-840
Gigabyte GTX770
2x8GB Crucial DDR3

I'm experiencing the exact same problems you describe here. The system was build a couple of months ago however and was running flawlessly on Mavericks. No sleep problems at all.
Since I updated to 10.10 the sleep issues started.
I haven't done much troubleshooting, but it sure is annoying.

Tried playing around with different Model IDs (Macmini6,2; iMac13,1; iMac14,1) - at first, I thought that the Macmini worked better. Then it went unstable after one wakeup again - this time with Safari crashing on any page containing plugins. And it panicked during shutdown.

I'm going to try to install a clean one on another drive - I've transfered the current installation from an old Corsair Force 3 drive, and as far as I can remember, I've had no problems during the three days while I was waiting for the M550 to arrive.

I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with Haswell Refresh CPUs. Since the new Retina iMac contains one, maybe the problem will go away in 10.10.1 (I expect the initial build of Yosemite running on Retina iMacs to be slightly different than the generic one, as usual).

According to this, the Retina iMac shipped with build 14A389 -- that's the same version I have installed.

No crashes here since disabling sleep. At least I can get by without it.

I'm trying to learn enough about DSDT, etc. to engage in some useful testing, but I'm quickly realizing how much I have to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back