Contribute
Register

Memory corrupted after longer sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.

Just to provide you with some longterm info, along with a -perhaps useful- tip.

Two Asus H97 systems have been running beautifuly, sleeping and waking (RTC alarms, manual wakes) for the past 6 months. They were rebooted only for major OS updates.

In two occasions, however, they too exhibited the crash on wakeup: one in February and one recently. Based on the sequence of events in the console log, I suspect it was the infamous wake from deep sleep bug.

Trying to figure out if anything could be responsible, I realized that I've become very cavalier with system updates. That's probably because everything has been so beautiful :)

More specifically, I stopped recreating the kext cache manually, before a (cold) boot.

I've reinstated the following procedure, and it has helped as far as I can tell:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Maybe it is relevant, maybe not, it's just FYI.

Hi xenophon61: On your recommendation, I finally tracked down an Asus H97 Plus board to replace my sleep-deprived Gigabyte board. Hopefully, everything is still running smoothly for you. Can you tell me what Clover configuration changes you made after switching from Gigabyte to the Asus board? I'm assuming you updated the SSDT? Do you recall what kexts you have installed. I'm particularly wondering about which ethernet kext to use. Any recommended bios settings.

Thanks.

Hi xenophon61: On your recommendation, I finally tracked down an Asus H97 Plus board to replace my sleep-deprived Gigabyte board. Hopefully, everything is still running smoothly for you. Can you tell me what Clover configuration changes you made after switching from Gigabyte to the Asus board? I'm assuming you updated the SSDT? Do you recall what kexts you have installed. I'm particularly wondering about which ethernet kext to use. Any recommended bios settings.

Thanks.

ASUS boards have problems with sleep. Defiantly Z97/H97. Z/H97 is problematic hardware.

Thanks.
I've linked relevant bits from my EFI partition, which is rather vanilla. Please have a look at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81hifzg0kd23lsh/config.plist?dl=0

The clover.plist (minus SN), and a single FakeSMC kext that goes on Kexts:Other, are there, to get you started. As far as patching the DSDT, I've included mine, but can't help you regarding how they were generated, because I just can't recall - it would be OK to use them, I guess, as a starting point.

Regarding the sleep issue: it's been 18+ months know, and only once or twice did I encounter anything resembling a wake from sleep crash (believe me, I know how it was with a GA-Z97x-SLI). The Asus system is on 24/7, rebooted only after OSX upgrades.

The problem is gone, take my word for it!

HTH, Xen.

I've linked relevant bits from my EFI partition, which is rather vanilla. Please have a look at:

The clover.plist (minus SN), and a single FakeSMC kext that goes on Kexts:Other, are there, to get you started. As far as patching the DSDT, I've included mine, but can't help you regarding how they were generated, because I just can't recall - it would be OK to use them, I guess, as a starting point.

Regarding the sleep issue: it's been 18+ months know, and only once or twice did I encounter anything resembling a wake from sleep crash (believe me, I know how it was with a GA-Z97x-SLI). The Asus system is on 24/7, rebooted only after OSX upgrades.

HTH, Xen.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a bit of trepidation in making this move, only because apart from the sleep issue, everything is working pretty good. I'm wondering whether I will end up facing USB port issues or something. But I'm going to give it a shot.

Last edited:
VioletDragon: What issues have you had with the ASUS Z97/H97 boards. It seems the consensus here has been that people who were having problems with Gigagbyte Z97 boards were able to find fixes with either the updated BIOS (which Gigagbyte did not release for my board, the Gaming 5) or by switching to an ASUS H97 board.

VioletDragon: What issues have you had with the ASUS Z97/H97 boards. It seems the consensus here has been that people who were having problems with Gigagbyte Z97 boards were able to find fixes with either the updated BIOS (which Gigagbyte did not release for my board, the Gaming 5) or by switching to an ASUS H97 board.

Some ASUS boards have issues with sleep. A friend of mine has a ASUS Z97 board sleep is funny. I have had two Gigabyte H97 boards. Sleep doesn't work on my H97N-WIFI but works fine on a H97M-D3H perfect fine. Remember Z/H97 boards is not native hardware so will have problems regardless.

Some ASUS boards have issues with sleep. A friend of mine has a ASUS Z97 board sleep is funny. I have had two Gigabyte H97 boards. Sleep doesn't work on my H97N-WIFI but works fine on a H97M-D3H perfect fine. Remember Z/H97 boards is not native hardware so will have problems regardless.

VioletDragon:

So I've installed the H97 Plus board and, as you predicted, I am having sleep issues. Thankfully, no spontaneous reboots like I was having with the Gigabyte board. However, the system immediately wakes up after going to sleep. Is there any chance you could take a look at my IOreg and Clover folder and let me know what obvious problems exist?

Thanks.

Attachments

• OfficeMac.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
VioletDragon:

So I've installed the H97 Plus board and, as you predicted, I am having sleep issues. Thankfully, no spontaneous reboots like I was having with the Gigabyte board. However, the system immediately wakes up after going to sleep. Is there any chance you could take a look at my IOreg and Clover folder and let me know what obvious problems exist?

Thanks.

ACPI is not patched. AppleLPC is not loaded. USB isn't implemented properly, MCHC & SMBUS isn't implemented. SATA is coming under SAT0 you have a lot of work to do.

HTH, Xen.

And of course the link is a 404, why do people not upload to the forum, so files will live longer :(

All uploads needs to be attached too the Forums (Upload a File) not 3rd party sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back