3. Centris
  4. iBook
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. Plus
  8. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, after ten years without a desktop, my ideal machine is shaping up as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core
GPU: x2 Asus R2 280X

I'm planning on 32GB of RAM and had a heart-attack when I saw the DDR4 prices but these options seem viable:

Crucial 32GB Ballistix Sport Series
32GB G.SKILL Value Series

The G. Skill memory works out to $70 less. Am I giving up anything? I see that there is an even more insanely expensive line of G. Skill chips with xmp profiles. Are these required for overclocking or are they just a convenience?

Thanks to everyone for your help, past and present.

ps - Storage, cooling and case are next. :)

So, after ten years without a desktop, my ideal machine is shaping up as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core
GPU: x2 Asus R2 280X

I'm planning on 32GB of RAM and had a heart-attack when I saw the DDR4 prices but these options seem viable:

Crucial 32GB Ballistix Sport Series
32GB G.SKILL Value Series

The G. Skill memory works out to $70 less. Am I giving up anything? I see that there is an even more insanely expensive line of G. Skill chips with xmp profiles. Are these required for overclocking or are they just a convenience?

Thanks to everyone for your help, past and present.

ps - Storage, cooling and case are next. :)

The "value" series are base line and generally do not have heat sinks - I would not use if overclocking.
Crucial also has a "value" series if you want to go that route.

The DDR4 base freq is 2133MHz - don't think they even make anything slower than this in DDR4. Anything faster seems to have a geometric price curve on it.

Decide now - OC or not and how much of an OC do you want to use, then do some research for reviews on overclockers forums and see what RAM speed matches or exceeds your desired level of CPU OC and buy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back