Contribute
Register

MDD full ATX (another one

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOOOOOT!!!! the new cpu arrived and IT WAS THE CPU that was faulty after all
:mrgreen: back up and running. :lol:feels good to catch a break
Celebration2.jpgcelebration time

i made this HDD cradle/cooler today using only heat sink parts from broken psu.
It looks a bit rough here i did not even bother to wipe it down or screw it together properly for the photos

P1010107.JPG
P1010102.JPGP1010105.JPG

:ugeek:borrowed a camera for a while so no more blurry pictures.

had some trouble with my mavericks instillation today got the old boot error 01. i thought it was to do with a recent change i made in ethernet kexts. but i suspect the little old 40gb drive i was using is on its way out . it seems to be struggling to read and write
It is Not worth fixing unfortunately
the poor thing has ran about every OS going over the years been thrown around and generally abused.
Ironic to think a simple caddy like this may have gave it a little bit more longevity

This is how they sat in the psu (this image taken from google) did not take any pics before i made the mod so .....
open.jpg
There was enough parts to facilitate two drives however i liked it better suited to one drive
DSC00851.jpg

did a little bit more messing today
made a motherboard tray and played about with ideas for the side panels .
i keep fighting with myself over the side as to what will look better . i think i Prefer the side panels off as it gives more solid straight lines.
So i am considering flattening off the case and coating it then painting .
i just cannot decide
i made some comparisons side by side with my other mod. that extra bulk of the side panels really makes it look swelled like a can of pop that has been shaken up to much. i just cannot decide.
I dont know if you are able to see it so much in this picture but here you go
P1010122.JPG
started making the trimmings for my back panel
P1010127.JPGP1010130.JPG
i do not think that back panel is coming along to badly considering it started life as this piece or rusty crap i found
P1010142.JPG
this is a chrome viynl wrap that i have used on the top of the case it is very attractive but to exspensive for my tastes so i just bought 1 A4 sheet :lol:
P1010131.JPG
i quite liked the front face feature that covers the speaker so i reused it
P1010118.JPG
i cut this piece out and then i tinted it . i was going to fit it over the drive doors and make a back lighted panel with a few words on to flash in sequence . but then i decided not to :lol: i change my mind to much
~P1010136.JPGP1010139.JPG
the side project is coming along nice i might give it its own thread
So anyway i cannot decide if i want to carry on with the side panels or not as i think i prefer those straight edges :crazy:
ah well it's a work in progress
any ideas are welcome. Both the odd and the exotic

ok!! :lol: it still looked like a g4 even after changing some of the features but i am not satisfied so lets delve deeper into the depraving sabotage of this g4 case
DSC01044.jpgDSC01051.jpgDSC01054.jpgDSC01056.jpgDSC01057.jpgDSC01058.jpg
DSC01063.jpgDSC01064.jpgDSC01072.jpg
where you can see the backside of the case and that hammered line across the bottom that is where i flattened out the original bend and re-bent it to sit further down .
the case already fit a full atx as it was but the space between the bottom of the board and the case was less than 1mm.
i am turning that cut out on the front for the drive bays upside down so the drives sit at the bottom of the case. just having fun with it now

when i removed the door hinge i considered rotating the drive doors 90 degrees at the front and placing the hinge on the top side to lay the case flat instead but it seemed a waste of the door/motherboard side.

will do a lil more today

Awesome:p
So both of the motherboards are good? Just the CPU died? Awesome:thumbup:
I don't come on here as often as I used to but I'm still around, great fun watching this one come together:lol:

hey g4 :wave:
the motherboards are both dead lol it was indeed the cpu however the second motherboard meet a grizzly end .... long boring story i will not bother you with. Basically had a unlucky run heh never mind

Riveted the case back up today with a few extra pieces and took all the paint off again!
i think this is the 4th or 5th rebuild this case has endured. still not satisfied i think it needs to be beaten up some more. i really want to kick the crap out of it

"we must kill it first if it is to be reborn!!!!!!" :lol:

DSC00835 - Copy.jpgDSC00837 - Copy.jpg

i looked into hardwiring 7 inch tablet screens as a second display with possibly the use of the touch screen just to satisfy my gadget addiction.
The idea was to have it sit flush on the front panel above where i have placed the mirror doors and use a mirror tint over it to compliment the drives whilst it is powered down .
But it is all just money so forget that :lol:

i am wasting time messing about with this stuff i could of just gone for the straight forward mod and been done in a day but wheres the fun in that aye. hehe
i quite like reading up on thermodynamics and became a bit engrossed in separating heat sources so considered creating some aerogel filled panels as it is something u can make at home but it was a bust.
so then i started thinking about the old peltier effect. i always fancied making a completely sealed case that recycles the air so peltier and water cooling were the the two things i considered to do it taking that same enthusiastic but impractical design i came up with. I thought about maybe using pre air injection cooling on this case seeing as you can get a lil 12 volt pad for pretty cheap.
that idea was also a bust hehe
i want to make a old school over clocker some time in the near future so may incorporate it into that instead.

:problem: put this case back together to soon before i gave myself a chance to do a lil more carnage

Hi:wave:
I have played with peltier coolers before but the main issue is getting rid of the extreme heat produced on one side and preventing the other side from getting so cold it causes condensation which will of course create water which is bad:eek: They also need a fair bit of power, maybe even it's own power supply, as far as I know they draw quite a few amps:crazy: I always had the idea I could somehow attach one to a heat sink, and then blow the air through the VERY cold fins of the heatsink, and any condensation could be deposited into some sort of chamber seperate to the rest of the computer, it would be an awesome project but I don't have the time or skills, it's just one of those dream ideas I've had for ages lol :lol:

Why not make an arduino controlled fan system? then you could even adjust your fan speeds, even the peltier (if you go with it) through your computer. Now that would be incredible, except I can't program to save my life:p I'll try arduino... one day!
By the way what is pre injection cooling? Sounds interesting:p
Now I have an old dell rotting away in the back shed that is about 15 years old (pentium 3 I think?) and I am very tempted to start modding again, or get back to the G4 and make it better, should have done more stuff to it:)
Nice work on the hard disk cage, old power supplies sure are full of great stuff:thumbup:

Hi:wave:
I have played with peltier coolers before but the main issue is getting rid of the extreme heat produced on one side and preventing the other side from getting so cold it causes condensation which will of course create water which is bad:eek:

yep sure can. that was why i used water cooling to dissipate the heat on my sealed case and the pad being adjustable . I suppose if you wanted to you could work it off the cpu fan temp control with a lil trickery :confused: ( i don't fancy messing with that :mrgreen:

what is pre air injection cooling

basically a mini air conditioner.
Cooling the air before it gets feed into the case. you could use a peltier pad for the cooling element and it would also keep it separate from the case so rule out the condensation problems. although working in that manner i doubt you would get any condensation anyway as it would not be drawing enough heat.
if you could arrange it in a way that the set up sat close to the cpu on the outside of the case and transferred heat through to the peltier pad via either a tall heat sink or transferable through the metal case
then it might be worth doing. you would still need control over it as it would not stop condensation if it got hot enough aye. I am only considering it because it is cheap to do.
realistically just a couple of fans is all i need i do not live in a tropical climate or anything like that.
Just for fun:thumbup:

get that dell out and have at it...... you know you want to :mrgreen:

Haha maybe I will:p
It's one of those hideous beige boxes though, needs a coat of flat black paint:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back