Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I generally don't use WiFi USB dongles but having a problem until the new card comes in.

Is there any way to lock the en1 designation to the USB WiFI dongle so that when you plug it in you always get en1 instead of en2,3,4,5 or 6?

Is it necessary to always boot with the dongle in the USB port? Or can you plug it in later and have it recognized?

I don't see why you couldn't do this If you removed all options in the network interface and then removed the associated plists and started from scratch you can then set it back up so it can be en1. It should also keep this designation if you were to unplug it and then plug it back in (in theory this should work, it has on my airport cards, they have kept the en1 designation because the plist has it noted).

All you would need to do is basically the same steps as the App store fix.

System preferences/Network
You'll want to highlight each one and remove it by clicking the - tab at bottom of box.

Then go to,
Library/Preferences/System Configuration
and delete or place on desktop the NetworkInterfaces.plist

Then restart system.

After you restart you will want to go back to System Preferences/Network and
add all the things you removed starting with ethernet.

If you haven't tried this already, but I think this would be all it takes. You can set what each one is manually like this en0 right on up.
But if this is not the case it would be nice to know lol

Tried that. then the next time I booted and plugged in, it gave me en2. Deleted the en2 and .plist, rebooted and still assigns a diferent number. Is there any way to lock en1 to the dongle at all? So that no matter when you plug it in, it is always en1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back