1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi!
I wonder if is it better to use RAM from Crucial Ballistix (the model you suggests in Buy guide) or the one tested with the mainboards. Because sometimes I find no Crucial RAMS that hev been tested in the mainboards I would like to buy.
Thanks

If you are able to purchase RAM that is officially tested working with your motherboard then get that, otherwise purchase what you are able to get locally.

If you get a 'deadbeef' error then you can should use the boot flag 'maxmem' as mentioned in step 4 of the Mavericks Installation guide.

If you have 8 GB RAM installed then try maxmem=4096

for 16 GB use maxmem=8192

In all cases you should half the number of mb of RAM that you have installed. 1 GB RAM is 1024mb

Thanks for your answer. So, if I well understood, the preference is:

1) Buy the RAMs that are tested on my mainboard
2) If I can't, then buy the Crucial that are in the prefered list (with NewEgg / Amazon link)
3) Otherwise I buy the available one

If I get some some errors during 10.9 setup then I have to put specific boot flag to "half/size" the physical amount of memory. But, if I'm not wrong, at the end and after post-install phase, I will be able to use the total memory (if it works).

I put another question, (I dont' know if I have to open another topic): what's the difference between such an build:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/441-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2014.html#budget

and a Golden Build. According to my understanding a Golden Build is a Hackintosh that works about 99%, it's stable and recommended. What about a CustoMac like the one in the link?

According to my understanding a Golden Build is a Hackintosh that works about 99%, it's stable and recommended. What about a CustoMac like the one in the link?

User Builds are builds by members who have gotten their builds to work 99% and stable.
Golden builds are User Builds that the moderators have voted to be Golden Builds and that meet the criteria for a "Golden" build.
From the User Build "Read Me First":

In the User Builds forum section, there is also a Golden Builds sub forum.
  • User Builds is open for any Forum member to post a description of their system and a description of why they choose the components (a driving application, economy, etc.).
  • The Golden Builds sub forum is for build description threads that the tonymacx86 Admins and Moderators have determined to be well written and increase the knowledge of building a Hackintosh.

User Builds are builds by members who have gotten their builds to work 99% and stable.
Golden builds are User Builds that the moderators have voted to be Golden Builds and that meet the criteria for a "Golden" build.
From the User Build "Read Me First":

In the User Builds forum section, there is also a Golden Builds sub forum.
  • User Builds is open for any Forum member to post a description of their system and a description of why they choose the components (a driving application, economy, etc.).
  • The Golden Builds sub forum is for build description threads that the tonymacx86 Admins and Moderators have determined to be well written and increase the knowledge of building a Hackintosh.

Thanks. So I could follow a good user build for my purposes. I thought than the criteria for GOLD qualification was a very detailed process and repetitive.

Thanks for your answer. So, if I well understood, the preference is:

1) Buy the RAMs that are tested on my mainboard
2) If I can't, then buy the Crucial that are in the prefered list (with NewEgg / Amazon link)
3) Otherwise I buy the available one

If I get some some errors during 10.9 setup then I have to put specific boot flag to "half/size" the physical amount of memory. But, if I'm not wrong, at the end and after post-install phase, I will be able to use the total memory (if it works).

Yes, get suitable RAM for your build. If you need to use the maxmem boot flag then it is only needed as a temporary measure during part of the Installation. Once you have done the post installation process using MultiBeast you will have all your RAM working and you do not need to use the maxmem boot flag.

I put another question, (I dont' know if I have to open another topic): what's the difference between such an build:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/441-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2014.html#budget

and a Golden Build. According to my understanding a Golden Build is a Hackintosh that works about 99%, it's stable and recommended. What about a CustoMac like the one in the link?

The link to the buyers guide is a great build - its a proposed hardware list of options. When seeking out User builds and Golden builds to help you through the process, pick the ones that you feel give you the information in the format that you prefer. Golden builds do often go deeper into the detail. Use as few or as many of either as you feel you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back