Contribute
Register

Maybe Another Cube Project - just and idea at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Neilhart

I have been reading your posts, and think this still qualifies as a cube hack, just a different take on the problem, hope it works.

On the problem of cooling, had you considered (not sure if practical ) rotating and mounting the motherboard and video card vertically, so they are attached to the opposing walls of the case.

This would mean combining creating a single larger central chamber, with a void in the centre between the two main components. If you place (intake, and outtake) fans at the bottom and top of this void, they should manage to provide better cooling.

The psu also has a top mounted fan, not sure what it's orientation is but possibly it could act as the botyom fan sucking air from rear intakes, and blowing upwards.

Don't know if this is practical, or possible, just ideas.

Kiwi

Hi Neilhart

I have been reading your posts, and think this still qualifies as a cube hack, just a different take on the problem, hope it works.

On the problem of cooling, had you considered (not sure if practical ) rotating and mounting the motherboard and video card vertically, so they are attached to the opposing walls of the case.

This would mean combining creating a single larger central chamber, with a void in the centre between the two main components. If you place (intake, and outtake) fans at the bottom and top of this void, they should manage to provide better cooling.

The psu also has a top mounted fan, not sure what it's orientation is but possibly it could act as the botyom fan sucking air from rear intakes, and blowing upwards.

Don't know if this is practical, or possible, just ideas.

Kiwi

Hey Kiwi that is some good thinking. I was getting almost no where on the stack-ups as they were.

I currently have the motherboard back on the bench and have installed a Antec H2O 950 AIO water cooler to see what is possible. Under 100% load the i7-4790K, running Prime95 Torture Test, the CPU is clocking at 4.3 GHz and the system will still get up into the high 70's with peaks into the 80's. I am playing around with the motherboard BIOS fan ramp controls and making a little progress.

However I am not about to try to stuff the Antec AIO cooling unit into a cube.

I will take a look at your suggestion and other orientations after I get the PCIe X16 riser cable problem sorted out.

Also, I am downloading Yosemite 10.10.1 now and intend attempt a Yosemite Unibeast/MultiBeast install later today to see what there is to see.

This is all for my own entertainment and not for a client so I have total freedom in content of the hack.

Good modding,
neil

OBW did you see the full coverage water block for this motherboard? See it at bit-tech: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2015/01/14/bitspower-aiz97m7iitx-review/1 Not in the cards for me, but a neat piece of design work.

I have shutdown this project and put the G4 Cube acrylic cover back on the shelf to wait for another day.

Please see post number one for the explanation.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back