Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I have a (hopefully) pretty simple question. On my desktop, I have the following configuration:

Windows on Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
El Cap on 1TB Internal HDD (will upgrade to macOS Sierra shortly)

I have the windows boot loader on the EFI partition of the Crucial MX100 SSD, and I have Clover installed on the 1TB HDD...

Now I've always had this problem where the Clover boot entries would duplicate itself, and I'm going to try to put the Windows Boot Manager and Clover onto the same EFI partition (which for now is the ESP on the Crucial MX100)...

I tried to copy the Clover folder into the SSD ESP and when I boot from it, none of my settings load and it loads with the embedded theme.

When I try to install Clover from the installer, it says "Clover can't be installed from here". Is there a reason why to this?
Maybe it's because the ESP on the SSD was created by Windows? I'm not too sure :think:

Nonetheless, I'm trying to get all of my bootloaders / boot managers onto one drive's ESP, and I would prefer it to be the SSD ESP. If you guys have any suggestions / comments that would be greatly appreciated!

-Duncan

Hey all,

I have a (hopefully) pretty simple question. On my desktop, I have the following configuration:

Windows on Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
El Cap on 1TB Internal HDD (will upgrade to macOS Sierra shortly)

I have the windows boot loader on the EFI partition of the Crucial MX100 SSD, and I have Clover installed on the 1TB HDD...

Now I've always had this problem where the Clover boot entries would duplicate itself, and I'm going to try to put the Windows Boot Manager and Clover onto the same EFI partition (which for now is the ESP on the Crucial MX100)...

I tried to copy the Clover folder into the SSD ESP and when I boot from it, none of my settings load and it loads with the embedded theme.

When I try to install Clover from the installer, it says "Clover can't be installed from here". Is there a reason why to this?
Maybe it's because the ESP on the SSD was created by Windows? I'm not too sure :think:

Nonetheless, I'm trying to get all of my bootloaders / boot managers onto one drive's ESP, and I would prefer it to be the SSD ESP. If you guys have any suggestions / comments that would be greatly appreciated!

-Duncan

Ok - so a dumb question - is your windows drive formatted GUID? Not sure if that is required for Clover, but it definitely is for MacOS, as I am sure you are aware.

So I am not sure why you would want to have all your boot loaders on the same EFI partition... I could be completely wrong, but if you did that, how would your pc know which to use? Anyways, I have always done the following:
1) Install windows as normal on 1 drive, making sure no other drives are attached to your pc (this ensures the windows boot loader is on the same drive as the actual windows install).
2) Install MacOS on a different drive (also with no other drives attached). This ensures clover is installed on the EFI partition of the MacOS drive.
3) Reconnect all the drives, and then in the motherboard's bios, set the boot drive to be the one with MacOS (which includes the EFI partition with clover).

This way, clover always is the boot loader and it will automatically "see" any other bootable drives (including your windows drive). I find that keeping this simple process eliminates all booting issues I have ever had, and I recommend it to all my hak friends. Remember, K.I.S.S. ;-)

Ok - so a dumb question - is your windows drive formatted GUID? Not sure if that is required for Clover, but it definitely is for MacOS, as I am sure you are aware.

So I am not sure why you would want to have all your boot loaders on the same EFI partition... I could be completely wrong, but if you did that, how would your pc know which to use? Anyways, I have always done the following:
1) Install windows as normal on 1 drive, making sure no other drives are attached to your pc (this ensures the windows boot loader is on the same drive as the actual windows install).
2) Install MacOS on a different drive (also with no other drives attached). This ensures clover is installed on the EFI partition of the MacOS drive.
3) Reconnect all the drives, and then in the motherboard's bios, set the boot drive to be the one with MacOS (which includes the EFI partition with clover).

This way, clover always is the boot loader and it will automatically "see" any other bootable drives (including your windows drive). I find that keeping this simple process eliminates all booting issues I have ever had, and I recommend it to all my hak friends. Remember, K.I.S.S. ;-)

Thank you for your reply!

I want to keep it in one EFI partition because I was following this 'guide':
http://tonymacx86.com/threads/guide...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

I have it setup like that currently (clover on macOS drive, Windows Boot Manager on windows SSD), but whenever I restart my computer another boot entry is 'mysteriously' added. I want to fix this once and for all, and I was thinking having all of my boot entries on one EFI partition would solve it ...

And yes I think my Windows drive is formatted GUID :D

-Duncan

Thank you for your reply!

I want to keep it in one EFI partition because I was following this 'guide':
http://tonymacx86.com/threads/guide...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

I have it setup like that currently (clover on macOS drive, Windows Boot Manager on windows SSD), but whenever I restart my computer another boot entry is 'mysteriously' added. I want to fix this once and for all, and I was thinking having all of my boot entries on one EFI partition would solve it ...

And yes I think my Windows drive is formatted GUID :D

-Duncan[/QUOTE

That thread should help...

That thread should help...

YEP!

After digging around in it all day, I finally found my solution!

Duplicate UEFI boot entries really got me confused for a while, even while I was just booting with flash drives in USB ports. For what it's worth, the instructions in this post:

worked perfectly for me. The piece of the puzzle that was missing is that you need to explicitly tell Clover to write all of its boot entries into the UEFI and only then delete the ones that aren't pointing at the EFI partition on your OS X drive.

It's pretty easy to avoid hosing your Windows install if you have one, because it'll say "Windows Boot Manager" right in the description.

Now I can reboot between OS X and Windows all I want using either F12 or letting Clover handle it, without having to fiddle around moving my Clover installation to my Windows SSD. The /BOOT folder does serve one important purpose as a fallback in case your UEFI entries get corrupted or erased, so if you delete or rename it, make sure you have a bootable Clover flash drive in reserve for emergencies. I've attached a snapshot of what my bcfg looks like now.

This post saved me! (it's post #47 on that thread)...
As he said, apparently it's an AMI bug and adding Clover boot entries and then removing EFI\BOOT folder seemed to fix it!

I am amazed that I finally fixed this, as I've been plagued with it for more than a year!

Thanks for everyone's help:D

-Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back