Contribute
Register

Mavericks & Windows 8 on same drive without erasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
... If your EFI partition is not first, you can remove the partitions in front of it to keep Verify Disk from complaining.
Readers are Winners!
Now I understand why my Windows 8 partition usually 'check disk' at boot. If I dual boot windows 8 with OS X, no 'check drive C:' at all but if I install win7 and win8 together with OS X, booting Windows 8 usually results in Very Disk (Windows 7 partition) at boot.
I got annoyed and removed Windows 7.

i consider myself a nerd with computers but a noob with hackintoshs (still havent got my first one to boot)

Rehabman on page 2, im only 17 and it worked perfect (writing from the still booting windows install)
i can say i would have been able to follow that at 15, but creating another cmd required a bit of my own knowledge

For others, you can exit diskpart by typing exit, type start to launch another propmpt(if shift f10 dont work) and then launch diskpart again b typing diskpart in any one of the two windows (both will be identical at this stage)

hi guys! I formatted the partition to NTPS and it did available on disk utility. I'm able to erase the partition to mac os x extended journaled but when I implemented the progress, the small window shows up and said not enough space on device for requested operation. I red through this thread and try some methods but it isn't work (maybe because I don't get some steps so I jump over it). do you have any solution? could you guide me in detail, because i'm not as good in this. thank you

hi guys! I formatted the partition to NTPS and it did available on disk utility. I'm able to erase the partition to mac os x extended journaled but when I implemented the progress, the small window shows up and said not enough space on device for requested operation. I red through this thread and try some methods but it isn't work (maybe because I don't get some steps so I jump over it). do you have any solution? could you guide me in detail, because i'm not as good in this. thank you

It is likely you have an MSR partition. It must be removed to format anything within Disk Utility.

thanks a lot, after i had red your reply, i red this thread again and understand a little bit more (so sorry for my idiot). it looks like the MSR partition is just an empty partition for converting patitions and it's unnecessary, isn't it? but I still doubt that if I go ahead and remove it, will it causes any consequent afterward? will the computer automatically recreate that partition? and should I make a backup of it first?

thanks a lot, after i had red your reply, i red this thread again and understand a little bit more (so sorry for my idiot). it looks like the MSR partition is just an empty partition for converting patitions and it's unnecessary, isn't it?

I believe it is used for certain kinds of software RAID and/or "storage spaces". Features you're unlikely to use, therefore it is unnecessary. The partition is used to simply reserve space so that in the event you use these features the space reserved is used for other partitions that contain the real information. So... it is simply a trick Windows is using to reserve space for future use.

but I still doubt that if I go ahead and remove it, will it causes any consequent afterward? will the computer automatically recreate that partition? and should I make a backup of it first?

There is nothing on it, so no need to make a backup. Windows will not automatically recreate it.

I deleted the reserved (MSR) partition and booted back into the installation of mac, then try to erase the partition I wanted to install mac on it but the problem is still remaining. I'm doubted that I missed some steps so went back to diskpart and diskmanager and took their pictures and attached it along to ask you for more advices for my circumstance.
untitled.pngUntitled1.png

I deleted the reserved (MSR) partition and booted back into the installation of mac, then try to erase the partition I wanted to install mac on it but the problem is still remaining. I'm doubted that I missed some steps so went back to diskpart and diskmanager and took their pictures and attached it along to ask you for more advices for my circumstance.
View attachment 123540View attachment 123541

The EFI partition is not large enough.

It could also be that other "special" partitions can cause problems...

I intend to merge the unallocated partition into the EFI partition but the disk management unable to do that, so I downloaded and tried with AOMEI but the EFI partition is also grey. Do what I trying to is possible? ( if it is, I presume it must be used diskpart and could you show me the command to carry out the progress) or I have to remove the EFI and recreate it by diskpart as you guided?

I intend to merge the unallocated partition into the EFI partition but the disk management unable to do that, so I downloaded and tried with AOMEI but the EFI partition is also grey. Do what I trying to is possible? ( if it is, I presume it must be used diskpart and could you show me the command to carry out the progress) or I have to remove the EFI and recreate it by diskpart as you guided?

In diskpart, you have to remove EFI then re-create it. There is no way to resize the EFI partition directly. So save a backup of the contents to make it easier to get them back after you delete/re-create it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back