Contribute
Register

Mavericks & Windows 8 on same drive without erasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed these steps but I get stuck into selecting unallocated space partition with the message "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." how can I solve this?

Your install media should have legacy and UEFI install files. Use the Function hotkey to select a boot device - your install media should show up twice - select the one with UEFI in front of it.

Your install media should have legacy and UEFI install files. Use the Function hotkey to select a boot device - your install media should show up twice - select the one with UEFI in front of it.

how could I check this? since my bios doesnt have an option to change between legacy and UEFI mode.

how could I check this? since my bios doesnt have an option to change between legacy and UEFI mode.

You have old Sandy Bridge laptop with Legacy AMI BIOS if you are writing about the laptop in your profile. You can only install Legacy Mode, so no need to worry about UEFI.

Rehabman, I just follow your step on post #13. But after complete my laptop couldn't start. When I press the power button it shows a blue screen says your pc need to be repair and then auto shutdown. Help please. DSC_0235.jpg

I just solved the problem :headbang:

For all those people out there who has the 100mb EFI too small problem out there,
I have found a an easier solution than the diskpart method @Rehabman described.

Just use a third party partitioning tool called "MiniTool Partition wizard" on Windows (you need the pro version , get it from kickass or Buy it :p)

For me the partitions were
1st. 300 MB Recovery
2nd. 100 MB EFI
3rd. 128 MB MSR
4th. 200 GB C:\ Drive \\Windows system
5th. 400 GB D:\ \\ Normal drive for windows softwares and file
6th 300 GB NTFS El \\ This is where i planned to install OSX
etc.

But Since my EFI was too small the Disk Utility in OSX installation was not able to make changes to my HDD, So,

Using MiniTool i removed both 1st and 3rd partitions
and extended the EFI partition consuming the 300 MB unallocated space left behind by the Recovery partition

So now it is

1st. 400 MB EFI
2nd. 128 MB Unallocated
3rd. 200 GB C:\ Drive \\Windows system
4th. 400 GB D:\ \\ Normal drive for windows software and files
5th 300 GB NTFS El \\ This is where i planned to install OSX

After This i was able to successfully Reformat the 5th partition from Disk Utility and install OSX on it according to Rehabman's Clover Guide

Finally i reached the El Capitan Desktop :headbang:

A million Thanks to RehabMan ,, i never would have accomplished this without you .:clap:

Thanks, it worked :D

Worked perfectly using "MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro". Thank you!

I have a notebook hp x360 and when I'm in disk utility on the installation of the El Capitan he is not listing the hdd. Removed the MSR as the attached images. I can not evolve in the installation.

Need help.

Thanks

Capturar.PNGCapturar2.PNGIMG_3115.JPG

I have a notebook hp x360 and when I'm in disk utility on the installation of the El Capitan he is not listing the hdd. Removed the MSR as the attached images. I can not evolve in the installation.

Your problem has nothing to do with the partition setup on the disk.

Post in the laptop forum.

Your problem has nothing to do with the partition setup on the disk.

Post in the laptop forum.

So my Asus UX305 came with Windows 8.1 and then I upgraded to 10, I have nothing on it though so I don't mind erasing the whole thing with OSX. My EFI is only 100MB so I don't want to go through the process of removing EFI and MSR and then creating a new EFI partition and then restoring original EFI contents.

Is my understanding correct then, I boot into Disk Utility to install Mac OS but create another partition for future use (HFS+J) install Mac OS then for a fresh Windows install in the future, all I would need is USB Windows installer, windows product key (extracted from my current system) and then I would reformat that HFS+J partition and put it on there?

diskpart shot.JPGpartitions diskpart.JPG

So my Asus UX305 came with Windows 8.1 and then I upgraded to 10, I have nothing on it though so I don't mind erasing the whole thing with OSX. My EFI is only 100MB so I don't want to go through the process of removing EFI and MSR and then creating a new EFI partition and then restoring original EFI contents.

Is my understanding correct then, I boot into Disk Utility to install Mac OS but create another partition for future use (HFS+J) install Mac OS then for a fresh Windows install in the future, all I would need is USB Windows installer, windows product key (extracted from my current system) and then I would reformat that HFS+J partition and put it on there?

View attachment 184219View attachment 184220

The laptop guide covers dual boot: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

The fact that the OS X installer is not recognizing your SATA controller has to do with either RAID vs. AHCI mode of the SATA controller or due to your ACPI configuration (dropping too many SSDTs).

Further questions should be addressed in the laptop forum. Your problem is unrelated to this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back