Contribute
Register

Mavericks & Windows 8 on same drive without erasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey. im not sure if you have resolved this. im on an asus x202e, well, really a q200e (when i installed drivers for windows, the system changed to an x202e) but anyway, i followed rehabman's tutorial to a t, with the exception of creating a 2nd partition on the hard drive, and everything was up & running. then i formatted my 2nd usb stick and used bootcamp on the yosemite hackintosh, courtesy of rehabman's tutorial, and booted into the usb stick. when i had to choose what partition i wanted tp install windows, i selected that prtition i created earlier, deleted that partition, and reformatted it. everything was smooth sailing after that point.

the only thing i have to do is figure out how to get the hot keys working, like the brightness control, sound volume control, etc. and also how to make clover boot up theme stck. im almost sure ill find info here by doing some research. but yeah. it was pretty simple. maybe im off topic because this is about mavericks but im almost sure its the same process as yosemite.

this is my first time hackingtosh-ing and ive been wanting to do it for years. what kept me way during those times was just fear. but with rehabman's tutorial, got all the essentials runnning with not a singe error.

good luck and thanks rehabman.

I did the same at yours, but when i try to click Erase it gives me error and said that there is no enough space on the disk but there are 100gb!

I did the same at yours, but when i try to click Erase it gives me error and said that there is no enough space on the disk but there are 100gb!

Probably your EFI partition is too small.

What's EFI partition here? First or second?

image.jpg

Oh i saw, it's the first. So i can't enlarge it without formatting all?

What's EFI partition here? First or second?

View attachment 155466

Oh i saw, it's the first. So i can't enlarge it without formatting all?

It is the first. And it is only 100mb. Not large enough. You can expand it if you can sacrifice partition 2. I can't read whatever language that is, so can't tell you what to do.

For all those people out there who has the 100mb EFI too small problem out there,
I have found a an easier solution than the diskpart method @Rehabman described.

Just use a third party partitioning tool called "MiniTool Partition wizard" on Windows (you need the pro version , get it from kickass or Buy it :p)

For me the partitions were
1st. 300 MB Recovery
2nd. 100 MB EFI
3rd. 128 MB MSR
4th. 200 GB C:\ Drive \\Windows system
5th. 400 GB D:\ \\ Normal drive for windows softwares and file
6th 300 GB NTFS El \\ This is where i planned to install OSX
etc.

But Since my EFI was too small the Disk Utility in OSX installation was not able to make changes to my HDD, So,

Using MiniTool i removed both 1st and 3rd partitions
and extended the EFI partition consuming the 300 MB unallocated space left behind by the Recovery partition

So now it is

1st. 400 MB EFI
2nd. 128 MB Unallocated
3rd. 200 GB C:\ Drive \\Windows system
4th. 400 GB D:\ \\ Normal drive for windows software and files
5th 300 GB NTFS El \\ This is where i planned to install OSX

After This i was able to successfully Reformat the 5th partition from Disk Utility and install OSX on it according to Rehabman's Clover Guide

Finally i reached the El Capitan Desktop :headbang:

A million Thanks to RehabMan ,, i never would have accomplished this without you .:clap:

Hi all!
It's been two days and I just can't seem to get it work.
I feel I'm really close.

So, I'm trying to get a fresh install of El Capitan 10.11 and Windows 10 on the same disk.
I've had no problems installing MacOSX on the hard drive, leaving 45GB reserved for Windows 10.
MacOSX was normally bootable through Clover and working fine.

I now installed Windows 10 (mainboard set to UEFI all the time). The setup partitioned two partitions (the small MSR and the main partition). After the installation Windows runs fine, but after bootup there is no more Clover, it just boots directly into Windows no matter what bootup preference I chose in the BIOS (except for USB stick of course).

When I boot up from the USB Stick with the MacOSX install on it, I can access the Clover bootloader again.

So I thought, maybe something is wrong with Clover and I went and reinstalled it from MacOSX. Unfortunately, this didn't change anything.
I also went and uninstalled the MSR partition, but that didn't change anything either.

Any idea what could do the trick? I had no problem installing the two OS, I'm just not able to get a working bootloader.
I don't mind doing everything fresh from the start, as long as I can finally get it working :)

Oh, and by the way, the EFI partition is bigger than 200MB.

The partition table as of now is:
1) EFI 209MB
2) Main drive Mac OS X 200GB HFS+
3) Mac OS X Recovery Partition
3) Windows NTFS 45GB

Thanks!

Hi all!
It's been two days and I just can't seem to get it work.
I feel I'm really close.

So, I'm trying to get a fresh install of El Capitan 10.11 and Windows 10 on the same disk.
I've had no problems installing MacOSX on the hard drive, leaving 45GB reserved for Windows 10.
MacOSX was normally bootable through Clover and working fine.

I now installed Windows 10 (mainboard set to UEFI all the time). The setup partitioned two partitions (the small MSR and the main partition). After the installation Windows runs fine, but after bootup there is no more Clover, it just boots directly into Windows no matter what bootup preference I chose in the BIOS (except for USB stick of course).

When I boot up from the USB Stick with the MacOSX install on it, I can access the Clover bootloader again.

So I thought, maybe something is wrong with Clover and I went and reinstalled it from MacOSX. Unfortunately, this didn't change anything.
I also went and uninstalled the MSR partition, but that didn't change anything either.

Any idea what could do the trick? I had no problem installing the two OS, I'm just not able to get a working bootloader.
I don't mind doing everything fresh from the start, as long as I can finally get it working :)

Oh, and by the way, the EFI partition is bigger than 200MB.

The partition table as of now is:
1) EFI 209MB
2) Main drive Mac OS X 200GB HFS+
3) Mac OS X Recovery Partition
3) Windows NTFS 45GB

Thanks!
Hi there
I had win 8.1 and deleted and installed 10. Then my boot went directly to Win10. (it is likely ur prb)
For fix it(Thx GOD), I go to the BIOS and the Boot tab and change the first option and select Clover Boot.
I think with this resolve ur prb, and u can hit an hold the Esc key while during sign of laptop, 4 ex. mine is ASUS.

It is definitely something that it doesn't like about the EFI partition. I was able to partition in Windows but had to use diskpart at the command line before running the Windows installer.

The process went like this:
- boot Windows installer USB
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt
- type: diskpart
- type: list disk (to you're certain on the disk you're working with, in my case confirms disk 0)
- type: select disk 0
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does :)
- type: convert gpt
- type: create partition efi size=200
- type: format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
- type: create partition msr size=128
- type: exit
- type: exit

Now you can continue with the Windows Installer, and install to unallocated space (via Custom).

If you go into Disk Utility after installing Windows with this setup, you'll find it likes the EFI setup.

Obviously, the above doesn't help someone with a similar setup from an OEM, but it does allow a fresh install of Windows UEFI first.

Next up: Determine if there is a way to fix the broken situation after a default fresh install... Stay tuned...
I followed these steps but I get stuck into selecting unallocated space partition with the message "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." how can I solve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back