GT 640 2gb Graphics Card
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

I'm fairly noob with setting up hacks - i brought my machine pre installed and need to make the jump to el captain from mavericks...

My machine is a gigabyte ga-z87m-d3h - intel core i5-4670k 3.4 - nvidia ge force gt 640 - 16gb

I have made a clone of my disk and made a few attempts at running el captain usb via clover and it boots into the apple screen and the screen blanks as the bar is progressing... I tried to boot my current system drive from clover and it doesn't boot...

Should I at this point focus on:

Switching to clover as per the start of the el captain guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-basics-and-switching-advice.171680/

or

Looking at BIOS settings - I have not yet checked 'recommended bios settings' and keep trying the usb drive

or

is there something else I'm missing - I'm obviously feeling out of my depth so any help is appreciated I've spent a long few nights now and don't seem to be making much progress :roll2:

:thumbup:

We don't recommend that anyone buy a PC with OS X or macOS pre-installed. You don't know what they did, what software they used, other than a copy of Mavericks. It also denies you the learning experience of how this all works so that you can do your own upgrades as needed. In your situation I would just clean install El Capitan following the 10.11 UEFI install guide.

10.11 Installation

Find a User Build with the same motherboard as yours and make sure all of your UEFI settings are correct first. Then boot verbose with your El Cap installer and if it hangs up take a photo and post it here.

ok thanks..

do I need to format one of my ssds ready? and unplug my backup...

also I don't understand 'boot verbose' is this an option in the clover boot menu?

Yes, unplug all other drives than the one you'll install on. You'll format it later with disk Utility when you get to the installer. This will of course destroy all existing data on that disk so save all that is important to carry over to your new install first. Verbose booting will give you all the lines of text that tell you what is loading at the boot up. See:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-enter-edit-boot-flags-in-clover.174319/
verbose is simply -v these are called switches in Windows terminology.

Here's a video install guide for El Capitan. You won't need the Nvidia drivers if you use a GT640 also won't need nv_disable=1.

Last edited:
Thanks I will get stuck in

Great Success everything working really well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back