Contribute
Register

Mavericks randomly freezing, but not freezing (odd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i got the freezes too... :(

Really at randomly Times...

Got a Nvidia Graphiccard too, so maybe the Drivers?

Did a fresh install using Unibeast / Multibeast.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
Graphic: MSI 560 TI

Greetz Stinger.

I re-downloaded the Mavericks installer and re-made my USB stick before doing a complete re-install. Within 5 minutes of booting, things started crashing. Flash installer crashed on every attempt to load, as did Dropbox installer. Safari did it now and again, and then the freezing started. Crash logs show windowmanager crashing, and then it references the graphics drivers.

I've come to the conclusion my GTS 450 is the issue, so I'm currently reinstalling Mountain Lion

Thank you everyone who has helped me with this in the last few days. I hope you all manage to get your own issues sorted out. I'll be back with mavericks when I can afford to get some new kit, or when someone comes up with a definite fix

...found this in the system.log (was written as the system was frozen):

Oct 30 12:19:52 stan-lan kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Oct 30 12:19:52 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:03 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:12 stan-lan kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Oct 30 12:20:13 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:22 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:33 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Oct 30 12:20:33 stan-lan kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Oct 30 12:20:33 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:44 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:53 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Oct 30 12:20:53 stan-lan kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Oct 30 12:20:53 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Oct 30 12:21:04 stan-lan com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

Anyone got an idea how to solve this?

That shows that there's something wrong with the graphics driver, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a solution yet.

I have had the same issue with the freezing since 10.6. After months of searching for a fix, I determined it was my graphics card (nVidia) that was causing the problem due to fremi freeze. Another form on this site had a download link to an app that has fixed all of my problems.

Go here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ermi-freeze-back-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a.html). Download the "freeze fix" app.

Make sure the app runs at login and that should fix some of your problems! :thumbup:

Thanks, skiprodigy for your reply. I will test this "freeze fix".

Greetz Stinger.

...since running that FREEZE FIX on startup, i got no freezes anymore ;)

I'm also giving freeze fix a try. Is it suppose to not "open" an app when you open the app? Perhaps it's something that runs in the background? Anyways, I added freezefix.app to my login items so let's see if this will stop the freezes.

Hi,

Also random freezes, fresh install on clean disk, no chrome, no LCC, but I think it has to do with USB. When I remove USB drives or SD cards Mavericks is a bit more stable. Problem is that it is very hard to reproduce doing step A, B, C, it just randomly happens => only mouse pointer can be moved, no response on clicks keyboard or anything else. After restart everything ok again until random freeze bug kicks in..

i7 3930K
GB X79-UD3 board
nvidia card

2 days since I've used freezefix.app and all is well :D Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back