Contribute
Register

Mavericks randomly freezing, but not freezing (odd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you use BetterTouchTool? I had similar problems and updating it to 0.988 might help. I'm not 100% sure thought.
Still Chrome definately behaves strangely. Try replacing PepperFlash with Adobe Flash (install and enable via chrome://plugins).

I also thought Chrome was the victim. But let's face it, we use chrome a lot longer than any other app so we generally assume that the freezes are due to chrome.

It's been nearly 20 days and I haven't had a freeze thanks to the app. I hope it works for others as well.

Same here freezes started when I installed Mavericks.

System:
Intel 4770K
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Asus GTX 770 2GB

The freezes most times gone after 10-30 secs and the system is workable again. Rare i have to do a hard reset.
So far I have tried different methods without success such as unplugging all usb devices and internal hdds/dvds and leave plugged only the ssd that mavericks is installed. Also the "freeze fix" app that I thought the 1st days that stopped the freezes but the freezes came back (its in login items and runs every time i boot into osx). The curious thing is that I bought my gpu one week ago and before that my system was running with Intel hd4600 onboard graphics without problems.By googling to find a solution for these freezes I found that many ppl with iMacs and macbook pro systems have the same problems and there are plenty of threads inside apple's forum. Many ppl have said that the crashes are coming from windowserver which you can check from console at System Diagnostic Reports tab (such as in my case). Today I did a fresh install of mavericks and watching most of time the console to check from where these crashes are coming...

Results:
Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 9.40.47 PM.jpg

If anyone can give any clue what is all these freezes about.
Also all of you ppl who suffer from these freezes you can post from your console a few screenshots and we can check all together if they are coming in most cases from the same source.

Mine is having a similar problem.

Ever since the installation of Mavericks I have experienced random system freezes/hangs. The entire machine will just pause. Everything will freeze exactly where what I was doing. Display stays as well just stops responding. You can wait for 6+hours it will never come back.

It is not load related, sometimes happens when its sitting at the desktop listening to Pandora, other times while playing Civ 5. I thought it had to do with Flash and Chrome as it seems to like to lock up the most while doing something in Chrome. However I disabled the built in Flash player in Chrome and it still locks up. I can be running handbrake using 100% CPU for 12+ hours and no issue, other times I will run Civ5 for 6+ hours all settings on Max with no issues.

Other times it will lock up with Chrome closed. Sometimes it will lock up 5-6 times in the course of several hours other times it will be fine for a week.

10.8 was totally solid, never had a single issue for the entire year it was installed.

I am ready to :banghead:.

System Info.
GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Crucial 256GB SSD CT256M4SSD2
Dual WD 3TB internal drives setup in Apple SW Raid 1
EVGA - GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5

Here are the last messages from the system.log before it locked up the last time. I was in Civ5 and Chrome was open but not being used. This error message I see a BUNCH in my system.log but doesn't always show up right before lockup.
Dec 20 12:26:46 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Dec 20 12:26:46 Hackntosh.local Google Chrome Helper[577]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd. : LSXPCClient.cp #426 ___ZN26LSClientToServerConnection21setupServerConn ectionEiPK14__CFDictionary_block_invoke() q=com.apple.main-thread
Dec 20 12:26:46 Hackntosh.local Google Chrome Helper[577]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.
Dec 20 12:26:46 Hackntosh.local Google Chrome Helper[577]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1100)

Exactly the same problem like you since Mavericks with the only difference that my system comes back after 30 secs most times.As Im searching again again I have come to conclusion that Chrome, LCC (Logitech) and flash player which are connected with these freezes by many people posts are not causing the malfunction to the system.. unlikely they are affected by these freezes because they are always running in background (check activity monitor). Below Im posting a screenshot again from my system.. can you check the same parameters at the system diagnostic reports tab? Many people are posting that coregraphics is the beginning of all these problems and its related to the gpu.

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 9.25.46 PM.jpg

I am actually not showing any system logs for the window server failure. I am attaching my screen shot of my console logs.

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 15.19.01.png

Hmmm strange... is this a fresh Installation? Your system diagnostic reports doesn't show any crashes...
Certainly I don't know hot to read this parameters as Im very new to this but I have noticed that most ppl were talking for windowserver crashes that you could find details in this tab.

No I installed Mavericks as soon as the guide was out so its been happening for several months.

Another member suggested upgrading Atheros drivers to 1.2.3 and upgrading my BIOS firmware. Both of which I did about an hour ago. So now I will see if/when it crashes again.

Update: Still not fixed.

I just installed yesterday to another hdd ML 10.8.5 to see how it goes…
So far no freezes and at console the system diagnostic reports tab is empty..
I hope everything works ok with ML at least 10.9.2 comes out..

Update: Im already bored to death with this situation! Freezes are here and sit on my neck again!
This is what I get from console every time I have a freeze:
localhost kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Searching again...

Update: 02/01/2014
I
upgraded yesterday my bios to 1203 revision and no freezes so far..
I know its too early to say that my problem has been solved but I will
update again soon.

P.S. Happy New Year to all members of this amazing forum!
I wish you all Health, love and a lot of money to spend for your mackintoshes! :)

Update 10-01-2014
My problem has been solved since New Bios revision 1203.
Thank you all for your help and tips.

I did some tests...

GA H87 Dh3
i7 4771K

I had no freezes using Chameleon-2.2svn-r2248. I need remove all appleintelhdgraphics kexts to system up.

I install new version of Chameleon, and i use all appleintelhdgraphics kexts to cosmetic objective. In System Information, i have 2 graphic cards... Nvidia 650 ti boost and intel hd4000.

In older version of Chameleon, the graphic card of intel hd NOT loaded any kext, and im not have a freeze!

But, when load intelhd kext and nvidia card together, i start having random freeze.

In my opinion, the 2 gpus kexts have a conflict and freeze system.

Im back old Chameleon, and remove intelhd kexts and intelframebuffer kexts to s/l/e

Sorry my bad english! Im Brazilian... Tanx all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back