Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm planning to use a 16GB SD card for the primary drive for mavericks as my third or fourth boot option. first being windows 7, second Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS third being either mavericks or Darwin OS and fourth being Darwin OS or mavericks. I do NOT currently have an sd card to usb adapter for read/write access from the mac as is instructed by the guide to installing mavericks on an HP ProBook 4440s. Instead the probook laptop will funtion as SD card reader/writer via network sharing of the drive.

My question is will unibeast and mac os x function with this configuration or do I have to follow a different route from that recommended on http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112380-guide-installing-mavericks-hp-probook.html

I'm planning to use a 16GB SD card for the primary drive for mavericks as my third or fourth boot option.

SD cards are slow. Very slow. And I don't think the Jmicron drivers work correctly at boot time, so it will probably not work.

first being windows 7, second Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS third being either mavericks or Darwin OS and fourth being Darwin OS or mavericks. I do NOT currently have an sd card to usb adapter for read/write access from the mac as is instructed by the guide to installing mavericks on an HP ProBook 4440s. Instead the probook laptop will funtion as SD card reader/writer via network sharing of the drive.

My question is will unibeast and mac os x function with this configuration or do I have to follow a different route from that recommended on http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112380-guide-installing-mavericks-hp-probook.html

In any case, you would still use a USB stick for the Unibeast installer.

Why not install OSX to your HDD?

SD cards are slow. Very slow
I have two SDHC 16 GB cards that I plan to mirror for backup purposes. I don't know their speed but it is comparable to a cd drive booting up or faster. And I often find myself using a linux liveCD to boot and recofigure either windows or ubuntu.
In any case, you would still use a USB stick for the Unibeast installer.
Is it absolutely mandatory to use a usb stick?
Why not install OSX to your HDD?
My 270 GB HDD is partitioned with 170GB dedicated to windows (of wich only about 10 remain free) and 100 GB to ubuntu. I plan on using ubuntu more than mac os x.

I have two SDHC 16 GB cards that I plan to mirror for backup purposes. I don't know their speed but it is comparable to a cd drive booting up or faster. And I often find myself using a linux liveCD to boot and recofigure either windows or ubuntu.

Either way USB/sdcard for permanent install is too slow. And SDcard won't work because of what I mention about the drivers not working at boot time (I've tried it).

Is it absolutely mandatory to use a usb stick?

Yes... see above.

Alright I'll head to the store to buy a new 8GB plus USB. thanks for the advice :)

Alright I'll head to the store to buy a new 8GB plus USB. thanks for the advice :)

Note that you'll still have to install to the HDD, as installing OS X to the SDcard will not work.

Also, if you do purchase a USB stick larger than 8GB, make sure the partition created for the Unibeast target it is only 8GB.

Note that you'll still have to install to the HDD, as installing OS X to the SDcard will not work.

Will a 320 GB USB HDD work for installation and boot? Partitioned as follows
8.00 GB = Installer with UniBeast in Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) format
100.00 GB = WINDOWS with Windows xp or 7 in MS-DOS (FAT32) format
100.00 GB = Ubuntu with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS in Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) format
100.00 GB = Mavericks with Mac OS X for Probook 4440s in Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) format
remaining space free or used for Darwin OS, not sure yet.
and if so will a 500GB SATA HDD with USB to SATA adapter work with an identical partioning schema, but partitions 2-5 larger to accomadate the extra 180 GB?

What is your current disk system? If you're using MBR instead of GPT, the guide here does not support that kind of installation.

What is your current disk system? If you're using MBR instead of GPT, the guide here does not support that kind of installation.
I am going to format the hard drive to any format that you the collective group of tonymac86.com recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back