PNY Nvidia Quadro 410
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everybody,

A couple of weeks ago I successfully installed Mavericks on my HP ML110 G6 server. Since I may not be the only one who would like their ML110 G6 run OS X, I wrote down the steps I followed to install Mavericks on this machine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES
1. I failed to make the keyboard work in Chimera, so I gave up and simply set it to boot off automatically with the configured partition. This is set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
2. The default screen resolution for the installer is set to 1280x1024. Edit org.chameleon.boot.plist of your thumb drive if you want to change that.
3. I have not checked if this tutorial works for machines with more than 4 Gb of RAM . As soon as I upgrade the RAM in my box, I will let you know how it goes.
4. The ML110 G6 does not have a sound option. You will have to look for an external audio card or an internal PCI audio compatible with or supported by the ML110 G6 and Mavericks.

THE HARDWARE USED IN THIS TUTORIAL
The Hewlett-Packard Proliant ML110 G6 (model 506668-001)
Tech specs:
https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/99/506668-001.htm
Hard drive: Toshiba 500Gb SATA.
Video card: PNY nVidia Quadro 410 (NOT a standard option, was purchased separately)
RAM: 2 x 2 GB (standard memory).
Keyboard: A Mitsumi PS/2 board and some Logitech USB board.
USB thumb drive: A generic 32 Gb flash drive.

SUMMARY
This tutorial describes how to install Apple OS X Mavericks on a Hewlett-Packard Proliant ML110 G6 server.
The tutorial covers the following parts:
1. Thumb drive preparation with Unibeast + replacement of default kexts with those that work on the ML110 G6 (thumb drive part).
2. Mavericks installation + replacement of default kexts with those that work for the ML110 G6 (hard drive part).
3. Installation of boot loader on the hard drive where the installed system resides.

PREREQUISITES
You will need a machine running OS X 10.6 or later to prepare an installation thumb drive.
1. Download Unibeast 5 (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=249)
2. Download Mavericks from App Store.

3. Download the kexts and the plist which will be used for your thumb drive. Put them in a separate folder!
kexts_Extra.tar.bz2https://yadi.sk/d/lrPPUudWdP843
kexts_SLE.tar.bz2https://yadi.sk/d/SOS0f8KFdP8ER
org.chameleon.Boot.plist.tarhttps://yadi.sk/d/S8oPAHyGdP8FY

4. Next, download the kexts and the plist which will be used for the post-installation.
Again, be sure to put them in their own separate folder because the file names are the same as for these for the thumb drive.
kexts_Extra.tar.bz2https://yadi.sk/d/h9EyRxhrdP8mC
kexts_SLE.tar.bz2https://yadi.sk/d/aUIzI40xdP8me
org.chameleon.Boot.plist.tarhttps://yadi.sk/d/qBjAnLL9dP8mr

INSTALLATION MEDIA PREPARATION
1. Prepare your installation thumb drive. Follow STEP 2 from Tony's guide to format your thumb drive (http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html). Then launch Unibeast.
PS/2 support = NO
Legacy USB = NO
Proceed and wait until Unibeast's work is done.
IMPORTANT: For the purpose of convenience I will be using `MAV_INST` as the name of the installation thumb drive. Subsitute it with yours when excuting Terminal commands throughout this tutorial.

2. Open your thumb drive in Finder. Create a folder named kexts4thumbdrive. Copy the files downloaded in Prerequisites > Step 3 into this folder.

3. Create another folder in the root of your thumb drive and name it kexts4postinstall. Copy the files downloaded in Prerequisites > Step 4 into this folder.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can use another thumb drive and put the downloaded kexts on it, but this option is not covered in this tutorial.

4. Replace the kexts on the installation thumb drive with the ones downloaded in Prerequisites > Step 3.
Open Terminal, then (assuming `MAV_INST` is the name of your pen drive) execute the following commands:
Code:
[INDENT]cd /Volumes/MAV_INST/Extra
sudo rm -fr Extensions/*
sudo tar xzvf /Volumes/MAV_INST/kexts4thumbdrive/kexts_Extra.tar.bz2 
sudo tar xvf /Volumes/MAV_INST/kexts4thumbdrive/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.tar 
cd /Volumes/MAV_INST/System/Library/
sudo rm -fr Extensions/*
sudo tar xzvf /Volumes/MAV_INST/kexts4thumbdrive/kexts_SLE.tar.bz2
[/INDENT]
Close Terminal.

5. IMPORTANT STEP: Rebuild Cache and Repair Permissions on your thumb drive!
(My choice is Kext Wizard but you are free to use any reliable tool for this matter.)
Eject the installation thumb drive (MAV_INST).

INSTALLATION
1. Plug your installation thumb drive into your Proliant ML110 G6 machine and power it on. Press F10 to enter the BIOS and set your machine to boot from the USB thumb drive.
Set SATA mode to AHCI.
Disable virtualization.
Diable Hyper-threading (you can enable it again later when it's all done).
Save and exit.
2. Install Mavericks onto your hard drive. Note the name of the system drive, you will need it later. I will use `Mac` as the system drive name in this tutorial.
If you get "Installation Failed" closer to the end, do not worry. It does not break the installed system.
3. Reboot when the installation finishes. The machine will boot off your installation thumb drive. When the Mavericks installer loads, select "Utilities" -> "Terminal". Assuming that your thumb drive name is MAV_INST and your system drive's name is Mac, type the following commands to copy the working kexts from the archives to the Mavericks install:

Code:
[INDENT]cd /Volumes/Mac/
tar xzvf /Volumes/MAV_INST/kexts4postinstall/kexts_Extra.tar.bz2
tar xvf /Volumes/MAV_INST/kexts4postinstall/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.tar
cd /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/
rm -fr Extensions/*
tar xzvf /Volumes/MAV_INST/kexts4postinstall/kexts_SLE.tar.bz2
[/INDENT]
4. Install the boot loader. Type the following command in Terminal:
Code:
[INDENT]diskutil list
[/INDENT]
You will see something like this:
Code:
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mac                       499.8 GB   disk1s2

Find your hard drive in the list. Use the SIZE column to identify your drive. If you have only your thumb drive and your hard drive connected, chances are that your HDD is disk1 and your system partition ID is 2. Assuming that this is the case, execute the following commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/MAV_INST/usr/standalone/i386
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2
cp boot /Volumes/Mac/

4. Quit Terminal and exit the Installer. Reboot you Proliant ML110 G6 and go to BIOS. Set the machine to boot off Hard Drive. At this step your HP ML110 G6 server should boot into Mavericks.

Almost DONE.

Unlike the PCI network card which worked right "out of the box", the PNY nVidia Quadro 410 video card, however, needed a driver to enable acceleration.
I downloaded an official nVidia driver at http://www.nvidia.com/content/Drive...bDriver-334.01.03f01.pkg&lang=us&type=GeForce
After installating the driver and rebooting I went to System Preferences -> Nvidia Driver Manager and chose "NVIDIA Web Driver" there.
Then I rebooted again, and "boom it worked".

Don't forget to turn Hyper-threading back on in BIOS, if you need it.

That's it. Thanks for reading.

Hi again,

After a few weeks of running Mavericks, here is my experience with the HP ML110.

Overall, it's been pretty stable and smooth. I do feel Mavericks start to slow down a little when I open Photoshop with a dozen documents, a web browser with a couple dozen tabs, VLC and VOX and such, but I blame my modest 4 Gb of RAM. Still haven't got more.

Now about some issues I had.

1. After installation I got the "internal drives are shown as external" issue. This was fixed by running Multibeast for Mavericks and installing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
Sweet and smooth.

2. The PCI network adapter would act up and stop working. I got no DHCP response and assigning a static address manually did not work either. `dmesg` showed the following:

Code:
AppleIntelE1000e(Err): Detected Hardware Unit Hang:

This turned out to be a known issue with these adapters. I went to Network settings -> Advanced and set Ethernet settings manually to 100 Mbit full duplex. I got no more troubles with the ethernet after that.

3. Sleep does not work.

4. I am currently running my ML100 G6 with Mavericks with 12 Gb of RAM. Performance is a lot better now, and it the system runs quite smoothly.

Security Update 2015-002 caused my Nvidia driver WebDriver-334.01.03f01 to stop functioning properly. I managed to get it working again with the help from this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...rivers-security-update-2015-002-broken-2.html

I ran
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]sudo nano /System/Library/CoreServices/[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]SystemVersion.plist
[/COLOR]
Then found this part:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]<string>XXXXX</string>[/COLOR]

And changed it to 13F34 because this what Nvidia Web driver needs in order to start.

Then I repaired permissions and rebuilt caches and rebooted. The graphics went back to normal.

Was there a fix for the USB keyboard issue? I currently have a Mac Keyboard I would like to use it if possible.

Nope, sorry. No USB or PS/2 keyboards would work in Chimera on the ML110 G6. After two and a half months of constant pain I simply gave up.

Both Mavericks and its Installer recognised my USB keyboards (and even my PS/2 board).

UPDATE:

Turns out, the PNY nVidia card I used with this setup does not require either the driver or GraphicsEnabler.

I simply uninstalled the nVidia drivers and set to <GraphicsEnabler> to "No". One less thing to worry about.

Hi again,

After a few weeks of running Mavericks, here is my experience with the HP ML110.

Overall, it's been pretty stable and smooth. I do feel Mavericks start to slow down a little when I open Photoshop with a dozen documents, a web browser with a couple dozen tabs, VLC and VOX and such, but I blame my modest 4 Gb of RAM. Still haven't got more.

Now about some issues I had.

1. After installation I got the "internal drives are shown as external" issue. This was fixed by running Multibeast for Mavericks and installing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
Sweet and smooth.

2. The PCI network adapter would act up and stop working. I got no DHCP response and assigning a static address manually did not work either. `dmesg` showed the following:

Code:
AppleIntelE1000e(Err): Detected Hardware Unit Hang:

This turned out to be a known issue with these adapters. I went to Network settings -> Advanced and set Ethernet settings manually to 100 Mbit full duplex. I got no more troubles with the ethernet after that.

3. Sleep does not work.

4. I am currently running my ML100 G6 with Mavericks with 12 Gb of RAM. Performance is a lot better now, and it the system runs quite smoothly.
UPDATE:

Turns out, the PNY nVidia card I used with this setup does not require either the driver or GraphicsEnabler.

I simply uninstalled the nVidia drivers and set to <GraphicsEnabler> to "No". One less thing to worry about.

That's cool! I have a question. Have you tried install anything pass Mavericks? Yosemite or El Capitan on the HP Proliant ML110 G6?

Currently I'm running VMware on a HP Proliant ML110 G6 using Windows 10 Pro and it's running El Capitan. It's working find except While playing QuickTime videos the frame rate drops to a partial skip frame.

Hi!

I've tried to but with absolutely no positive outcome. I guess my nVidia card is the culprit that I simply cannot get to Installer. I've tried booting Installer using Clover with various flags but "computer says no".

Have you checked you video card for Quartz Extreme support? What video player do you use for QT content playback?

Hi, @ml110owner , how was you able to boot installation from USB ? I'm trying to install El Capitan 10.11, but still can't boot to clover. I see only boot1: /boot 5 error. Tried many tutorials, with Legacy option, and tried to boot from HDD too. BIOS updated to latest settings, disabled VT, HT, etc.

Hello everyone,
I have been fortunate to be able to install Mac OS Sierra on my proliant ML110 G6 without putting any kext or flag to start the installer. I recognize the SSD correctly, I even installed correctly.

The problem is the first start after installation. It remains stuck just started and the screen shows me the message "legacy shim 2" and "AppleUSBLegacyRoot@blablablabalbalbal"

I tried everything, disabling the USB from BIOS. Try different flags at the start the system, in safe mode and also ...... no way!

Some idea? We can share the latest BIOS?
The proliant have not registered with HP because it is second-hand and do not know where I can download the latest version of the BIOS. Maybe that I solve the problem ?!

It's a proliant ML110 G6 with Xeon X3440, 14 GB 1333MHz RAM, AMD Radeon 7870 2GB, 120GB m4 SSD crucial

Thanks and sorry for my bad English XDDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back