Contribute
Register

Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

No, it says verify PM with stock clock. When PM works, then OC, if desired.
OS is ready. BIOS is set wrong, stuck in turbo.

Okay, that makes sense. In any case, my last post was stock clock with optimized defaults in the BIOS. Therefore, something is out of whack. I reverted my boot.plist back to how it was prior to any modifications. As well as removing SSDT.aml from the /Extra directory.

Code:
[STRIKETHRU]<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>[/STRIKETHRU]
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Oddly, the Intel Power Gadget is now showing proper PM now. I took a baseline initially, but don't remember seeing these results. My thoughts on this now is that I don't need the boot.plist modifications and the custom SSDT.aml. Do you agree? Is it odd that I'm getting proper PM without having to use the SSDT or load the IOPlatformPlugin.kext?

Intel Power Gadget - No SSDT.jpg

Do you agree? Is it odd that I'm getting proper PM without having to use the SSDT or load the IOPlatformPlugin.kext?
You have enabled legacy PM, 2nd Gen Core i and previous. For 3rd Gen (Ivy Bridge) and 4th Gen (Haswell) PM, the ssdt is required. i7-4770K/native PM: 1W (Post #1).

You have enabled legacy PM, 2nd Gen Core i and previous. For 3rd Gen (Ivy Bridge) and 4th Gen (Haswell) PM, the ssdt is required. i7-4770K/native PM: 1W (Post #1).

I'm not sure what to take of this then. With stock clock and BIOS optimized defaults, legacy PM seems to be working fine. With same BIOS settings and a modified boot.plist and SSDT.aml, there is no PM. And you've said that the SSDT looks fine.

Why is it that AICPUPMI verified via Terminal shows several P-states, all the way down to 12. Yet, the Intel Power Gadget doesn't show the same? In order for the system.log to write those P-state, they have to be reached at some point, correct?

What's the downside of the legacy PM? The one consistency between the two tests has been temps. So if temps are the same, and AICPUPMI verification via Terminal shows similar P-states, what am I missing?

Is there a question?

this is the issue:

1. i have not all the cpu multipliers enabled as toleda's guide screenshot

so the question maybe is: what's wrong on my configuration toleda? what should i do to have proper pm working? from AICPUPMI it seems that both igpu and cpu have wrong power management

thank you

I'm not sure what to take of this then.
There are no P states between 8 and 18 in legacy mode and no P states between 8 and 12 in XCPM mode; neither can be called "working" PM. AICPUPMI shows P states available and Power Gadget shows the P states used. The AICPUPM kext decides what P state is selected. No conclusion can drawn regarding temps, or more importantly, power when PM is not working.

The takeaway is PM is not working, OS X appears to be set up properly. Likely a BIOS setting is not correct.

it seems that both igpu and cpu have wrong power management
CPU P states between 8 and 19 are missing. Suggest verifying all BIOS settings.
Regarding GPU PM, it appears the only graphics load is the Desktop. Run a graphics benchmark.

The takeaway is PM is not working, OS X appears to be set up properly. Likely a BIOS setting is not correct.

I've loaded the optimized defaults again in the BIOS, and still getting the same results. I'm going to start changing some BIOS settings away from the optimized values to see if this changes things. In your experience, any thoughts on which values that could be the issue?

Thanks again for your help with this. I'm not stopping until I get this figured out :think:.

about ram...try change xpm to profile2 instead of auto.
let me know

Started from scratch again in the BIOS... no PM. Changed every setting imaginable... no PM. Installed Intel Power Gadget in Windows 8.1 x64, and am getting proper PM.

Windows 8.1 Legacy Mode XCPM Mode
Intel Power Gadget Windows.JPGIntel Power Gadget Legacy.jpgIntel Power Gadget XCPM.jpg

Why XCPM Mode is stuck between 3.0-3.9 GHz, you're saying is caused by a setting in the BIOS. Yet in Legacy Mode, this isn't the case. The above screen shot arguably shows between 0.8-3.9 GHz; with Windows showing similar results. To me, this means something is wrong with the SSDT. Yet, you've stated this looks fine, and OS X appears to be set up correctly.

I'm attaching IOReg, Boot.plist, and SSDT again just to be sure.

View attachment IORegXCPM.ioreg
View attachment SSDT.aml
View attachment org.chameleon.Boot.plist

EDIT: User xelanaiznac seems to be having similar issues, and you're pointing him to BIOS settings also. We're on similar boards (UD4H vs UD5H) and latest F9 bios. Could this latest Gigabyte bios be causing the issue? I've tried downgrading to F8, but doesn't look like it can be done. Thoughts?

Back