Contribute
Register

Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

So now i'm very confused..
To fix PM, remove the OC. See Post #1, Installation/Verify/confirm each item noted.
If different, there is an installation problem.
Reply with new Post#1/Problem Reporting/attach requested files
After PM is working, apply OC.

The tools are accurate for what they are reporting. The issue is the resolution of the tools. HWMonitor is 1 sec or more. IGP default is 200 ms; reduce reporting interval (increase time) and IGP looks like HWMonitor. Run the IGP command line tool and see the same measurements as HWMonitor.

Classic case of trying to monitor something via code without affecting it.

The formula; for more pstates, read msr more often.

Or run the monitoring test for a longer period of time. Seeing short-lived pstates is purely a game of chance. Increase odds of seeing these states by taking more samples, whether that is by decreasing the period between samples, or increasing the time over which samples are gathered, does not matter.

The conclusion that imac14 PM is not working because HWMonitor did not show P states between lowest power and highest non turbo is not correct. Pstate 17 with macbookpro11 is simply a HWMonitor reporting anomaly.

No anomaly. I did not use HwMonitor.

Clarification: HWMonitor/MSRDumper/DCPIManager should not be used to make correct power management decisions.

My p-state 17 was captured with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext.

From the IM post I linked:
Code:
AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 (17) 24 26 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] GPU P-States [ 17 ]

To fix PM, remove the OC. See Post #1, Installation/Verify/confirm each item noted.
If different, there is an installation problem.
Reply with new Post#1/Problem Reporting/attach requested files
After PM is working, apply OC.

See post #117 those files attached are from STOCK values.

See post #117 those files attached are from STOCK values.
Useless. Post #117 did not work. Post #128 says you did a clean install. Set BIOS/Load Optimized Defaults. Restart. Reply with requested files.

Expected result with DPCIManager; same as MSRDumper and HWMonitor.

Result was from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext.

Not expected as per your statement in post #1 that the tools cannot (somehow?) detect these specific values.

What does Intel Power Gadget show:
1. 10.9.2/XPCM/imac14
2. 10.9.2/XPCM/macbookpro11

I no longer own the machine.

Back