Contribute
Register

Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Hello.

Trying to register xcpm, but using the boot argument -xcpm in clover theres a crash with the x86platform kext.

This is an i5 3475S using smbios iMac 13,1 which is an i7 but 3470S instead of i5 3470 for the 13,2 which did the same thing.

Maybe need to read more on piker alphas ssdt pm info, but perhaps you know why.

Just think it needs to be implementing xcpm. Going pretty much just between 20 and 25 on the frequencies as is.

no output on cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"

Edit: after loading optimized defaults and disabling vt-d ETC. It looks better and boots with -xcpm
lower pic from geekbench.

Still no return from:
cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.29.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.27.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 10.08.01 AM.png

Attachments

• debug_31184.zip
    816.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Attachments

• user’s Mac mini.ioreg
    4.4 MB · Views: 275
  • Terminal Saved Output.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 160
  • image.png
    image.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I just upgrade my cpu from 2400 to 3770 and noticed performance after upgrade is really lousy.
After installed Intel Power Gadget and noticed the cpu frequency was locked at 800MHz.
I read some thread in the forum about turbo boost not working issue and found this one might solve the turbo boost not working issue.
And I follow the guide and try to get cpu turbo boost work again.
My high sierra just not able to boot.

The guide seems out dated for high sierra, newer clover bootloader and latest clover configuration app.
Any suggestion how to fix issue turbo boost not working issue?

My clover version: 4630
Clover configuration verison: 5.2.0.1
High sierra 10.13.6

Please help me to get full performance back.
Really really thanks.

I just upgrade my cpu from 2400 to 3770 and noticed performance after upgrade is really lousy.
After installed Intel Power Gadget and noticed the cpu frequency was locked at 800MHz.
I read some thread in the forum about turbo boost not working issue and found this one might solve the turbo boost not working issue.
And I follow the guide and try to get cpu turbo boost work again.
My high sierra just not able to boot.

The guide seems out dated for high sierra, newer clover bootloader and latest clover configuration app.
Any suggestion how to fix issue turbo boost not working issue?

My clover version: 4630
Clover configuration verison: 5.2.0.1
High sierra 10.13.6

Please help me to get full performance back.
Really really thanks.

3770 can reach 3.7GHz now, after few times try.

1. AppleIntelInfo.kext would cause system unable to boot. (see snapshot). So, I removed it and managed to get system back again with semi-turbo-boost work (!?)
2. use ssdtPRGen.sh (master branch) with args (-w 3)
3. ACPI/Drop Tables
  1. SSDT/CpuPm
  2. SSDT/Cpu0Ist

I also try to get 3.9 GHz turbo boost to work, but seems none of the threads discussed about 3770 turbo boost 3.9GHz came up any solution?
Any idea how to get cpu full turbo boost to work properly?

Attachments

• S__118087682.jpg
    S__118087682.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
@kaijajan

Please try the following
Backup
  • /efi/clover/acpi/patched/ssdt.aml and
  • /efi/clover/config.plist
Delete /efi/clover/acpi/patched/ssdt.aml - there must NOT be an ssdt in this folder

Edit /efi/clover/config.plist in clover configurator
  • Acpi--SSDT--Plugin Type = 1
  • Acpi--SSDT--Generate Options--PluginType = ticked
  • Kernel and Kext Patches -- KernelXCPM = ticked
  • Remove the changes to ssdt drop table settings - leave blank

Reboot twice and check - to roll back replace config.plist and ssdt.aml with backups

Last edited:
AppleIntelInfo.kext would cause system unable to boot. (see snapshot). So, I removed it and managed to get system back again with semi-turbo-boost work (!?)
Despite saying that you removed it it still appears to be present :

Pike.png

Boot with -f UseKernelCache=No

Problem with my CPU P-States

My system detect the i5-3570K at 3,4Ghz but impossible to get CPU speedstep working, in fact all the cores still stay permanently at 1,6Ghz.

./ssdtPRGEN.sh -x 0 -c 3 -p i5-3570K -m iMac13,2

It founds 23 P-States but only one level is active on my high-sierra/mojave system (and the 1,6ghz one.. it does not do much :)

With ApplinteInfos.kext, data results about P-States :
P-State ratio * 100 = Frequency in MHz
------------------------------------------
CPU P-States [ (16) ] iGPU P-States [ (7) ]​

My system (10.13 & 10.14) cannot adjust cpu frequencies specified (cpu p-states)
I don't know exactly if it's working with EIST (intel speedstep) or turbo boost

Configuration Informations:
i put the iMac13,2 SMBIOS ivy bridge compatible definition
'sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode' return 1

On my clover's config.plist i disabled all the "Generate Options"
I only keep few options in "Kernel and Kext patches" : KernelXCPM and AppleRTC​

Questions
A) You think ACPI specifications are evolved and it need to create or patch others parameters to get it working on 10.13+ systems?

B) Is it possible to provide the p-states data to ssdtPRGen script ? Like with -f option for provide frequency

C) Others solutions to activate cpu p-states for ivy bridge on high sierra or mojave?

Or maybe i got a configuration problem.... i'll check & clean in detail my Clover config.plist with a text editorand other kext loading...

ps : i open a dedicated post on this topic:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-1-6ghz-on-10-13-6-10-14.264362/#post-1845623

Attachments

• AppleIntelInfos.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 176
  • infos ssdtprgen.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 181
  • ioreg i5-3570k.ioreg
    12.3 MB · Views: 198
  • ssdt.dsl
    9.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Capture d’écran 2018-11-05 à 11.53.26.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-11-05 à 11.53.26.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Have problems with PM, all seems to work right, IORegistry shows 32 PStates, Intel Power Gadget shows good Wattage and Temps, only Frequency in idle is not stable (jumps from low to high). When running Geekbench it never reach 77W as its Max. TDP is
CPU: Ivy Bridge i7-3770, SMBIOS iMac 13,2, tried everything with SSDT.aml, now have the newest kexts and clover and settings as mentioned some posts before by nicksoph:

Please try the following
Backup
  • /efi/clover/acpi/patched/ssdt.aml and
  • /efi/clover/config.plist
Delete /efi/clover/acpi/patched/ssdt.aml - there must NOT be an ssdt in this folder

Edit /efi/clover/config.plist in clover configurator
  • Acpi--SSDT--Plugin Type = 1
  • Acpi--SSDT--Generate Options--PluginType = ticked
  • Kernel and Kext Patches -- KernelXCPM = ticked
  • Remove the changes to ssdt drop table settings - leave blank

Is it OK ?

Zrzut ekranu 2018-11-8 o 20.43.17.png Zrzut ekranu 2018-11-8 o 20.44.04.png Zrzut ekranu 2018-11-8 o 20.44.38.png

Is it OK ?
I think it seems to be - the cpu benchmark takes it up to 100% albeit briefly. Should see the GPU go to 1100(?) from 350mhz when under load. Macs use the power much more conservatively than PC's and you do really need to push hard for it to work at full power. If Im not right, I have the same problem.

Back