Contribute
Register

Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Hi Toleda, thanks for all your work on this. I am just not winning at all getting speed stepping to work. I hope you can help me out here.

1 - Description of problem

Cpu voltages / wattage change under load as expected when viewed with IPG but Frequency never changes

2- OS X version/motherboard model/BIOS version/processor/graphics
OSX Sierra 10.12.1
Asus Sabertooth X79 Bios 4801 (latest)
MSI GeForce Twin Frozr II N560GTX-Ti
Intel Core i7-3960x
Corsair 1600 Mhz DDR-3 (8 x 4Gb) Total 32 GB

3 - Procedure/Guide Used
Used this guide to get my install working 100%, audio, usb, usb 3 and everything else except for speed stepping
No other guides on here could get my working audio.

Used this guide by Shiloh to enable Speedstep, followed it step by step to the T, still no speedstep.
Also generated the SSDT.aml as per that guide and then added the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement patches
as per the guide but it's for 10.11 and I am not sure if those patches have changed in 10.12 ??

4 - Copy of ioreg.txt attached

5 - cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:" ...... simply returns nothing at all

6 - verbose-boot-log.txt attached

7 - Screenshot of IPG attached while running Geekbench

8 - config.plist, SSDT.aml, debug.log and fresh System DSDT of my mobo and its current bios attached.
my SSDT.aml was generated by PikeRAlpha's ssdtPRGen.sh script using "-c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3900"
my attached DSDT.aml is unpatched na not being used, just exported it now using MacIasl (file > save as )

Hope you can assist me in where I am going wrong.

Kind Regards
Mitchell

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    35.3 KB · Views: 167
  • config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 194
  • ioreg.txt
    7.3 MB · Views: 128
  • IPG.png
    IPG.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 108
  • SSDT.aml
    2.5 KB · Views: 143
  • System DSDT.aml
    40.2 KB · Views: 123
  • verbose-boot-log.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Support only Post #1 method.
Support only Post #1 method.

I did a fresh install yesterday, all clean and untouched. I will go through your method only and report back later today and repost my files if necessary. Let's hope this time I get it right.

I would appreciate any help that can be offered here. Thanks so much.

1.) Description of problem: I have tried everything I can find about my board to get Power Management working, but at this point I am stuck. See my intel power gadget screenshot. If I do anything that requires very much processing, my machine just shuts down and I know it probably has to do with power management not working right = high temps.
2.) OS X 10.11.6 / GA-Z97MX-Gaming5 / Bios F5 (same problem in F6) / i7 4790k / GTX 970
3.) I tried N3ON’s guide where I used his SSDT’s and then I generated my own using Piker-Alpha’s system.
4.) IO REG included
5.) Included Terminal output
6.) All console messages included
7.) Screenshot included
8.) N/A
9.) Config.plist / Boot Log / DSDT.aml — N/A / SSDT’s all included

I am so stuck, so any help would be wonderful. See attachment.

Attachments

• PowerManagement.zip
    914.6 KB · Views: 114
I am stuck
Set BIOS/Optimized Defaults?
Why is VoodooTSCSync installed? Remove.
Why EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-1 and SSDT-2? Remove.
Why EFI/CLOVER/config.plist/ACPI/DropTables/Cpu0Ist and CpuPm? Remove.
Why EFI/CLOVER/config.plist/HD3000 injections? Remove.
Reply with new files.

Set BIOS/Optimized Defaults?
Why is VoodooTSCSync installed? Remove.
Why EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-1 and SSDT-2? Remove.
Why EFI/CLOVER/config.plist/ACPI/DropTables/Cpu0Ist and CpuPm? Remove.
Why EFI/CLOVER/config.plist/HD3000 injections? Remove.
Reply with new files.

Ok, I have done as you said.

- The old Voodoo kext was from when I made this machine from a Carbon Copy Cloned HD from an old Hackintosh. OOPS! Thanks.

- The drop tables and SSDT's were from the suggestion of this guide where he actually suggests that Toleda said to do those things. I used them as exact since I have the exact same hardware (mobo and CPU) and he said it would work.

It looked great in the power gadget because the CPU was fluctuating nicely (screenshot included)

Unfortunately now my machine just reboots very sporadically (something I thought was probably caused by high temps or some reason of always being stuck in turbo mode and only when running a Prime 95 torture test/photos... I actually was hoping this would fix it, but it has gotten worse since the power seems to be managed better. The machine will typically reboot now after about 10 seconds of being booted making it difficult to get the reports for you. Also (maybe part of the issue) is that it takes about 5-7 minutes to boot my machine despite the SSD the system is on... everything is pretty fast once booted... but the boot is slow.

UPDATE: I was able to get it to stay booted long enough to get the reports once I unplugged the USB3 external HD. Also, I tried running the command in terminal to get the P-states but I attached a screenshot of it not working now... My spare drive is Sierra-- maybe that's the problem? The kext is definitely there.

See attachments with new reports.

Attachments

• PowerManagement.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
he actually suggests that Toleda said to do those things.
Does not say that, see config.plist/.../DropOem=false
Not working?? Clearly, significant improvement:
Power is half, Freq is 3.2 GHz lower, and Temp is 5 degrees cooler.
AppleLPC is not loading, see Post #1, 9 Series LPC.
PM does not cause reboots.
Fix LPC, attach new files.

Yes, thanks, Toleda.

I am not sure how to fix LPC.
Did you see anything in the files that gives an indication as to why the shutdowns kept happening?
Huge improvements from PM for sure.
Just not sure about slow boot ups and instant random turn off.
Any Idea why cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:" doesn't run now?
What does this quote mean in this guide:
"I recently found out from toleda that a second SSDT is needed for 9 Series boards. See Post# 530 for more information. You can get the latest SSDT here: https://github.com/toleda/audio_hdmi_9series I have included the latest update... View attachment 165215 The .zip has a PDF of instructions on how to name and install"
If I am not supposed to have SSDT-1

Is that improper implementation of the 9 Series LPC?

If I need to start another thread about it I can, but I'd love to understand why a Prime 95 torture test will instantly shut my computer down, or being plugged into a USB 3.0 external hard drive at boot up. Any ideas on what to be looking at to debug it?

Last edited:
Back