Contribute
Register

Mavericks Hackintosh Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok lets have a look at the bios in:
Advanced Memory Setting --> Channel A Timing

Check the Timings for each channel (A/B) if they are 10-10-10-30 (Cas-tRCD-....)

If not switch "selectable Timings" to manual and put in 10-10-10-30 manual.

Try if system run stable ...

IMG_20140220_114401.jpg
These were the settings currently in use... Same for both, channel a and b...

IMG_20140220_133127.jpg
This is how it looks, i've manually set the memory frequency to 1600mhz. I think to test these settings, i'll just let the hackintosh record like 20 tracks in protools over night. This is were i saw freezing the most often.
I'll let you know what the results are.

Almost all gigabyte z87/h87 has a bug with 4 dimm installed. mosts of the "almost" solutions are relaxing timings, run at 1333mhz, increase some voltages (system agent, IO digital/analog, etc) or simply use 2 dimms only.

I had 4x4GB on a H87 and cannot get it stable no matter what I do. but it runs ok with 2 dimm (8gb) XMP profile, 1.35v 9-9-9-24 at 1600mhz.

so, i give up to use 2 dimm and will order/change my 4x4gb to a 2x8gb modules.

in your case, you need 32gb (4x8gb) so there is some possibilities:
1) try very hard to get 4 dimm stable (i doubt you can)
2) operate only with 16gb (2 dimm) until gigabyte fix the issue
3) change the MB to asus or other brand without the 4 dimm issue.

you can check yourself, try google "gigabyte z87 4 dimm fix"
you can visit gigabyte forums about it, or gskill/corsair forums, etc.

you can run benchmarks to verify if it is stable, but even so you will get a freeze sometimes, specially after a sleep/wake.

So even though it ran all night and did not crash, i don't think it will be completely stable.
Do you think there's a chance of getting the Motherboard RMA'd because of this? I'm looking the ASUS route, is it really that much more of a hassle to install?

EDIT: There was this (http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=13267.0) topic i found where pretty much exactly this problem is being talked about.
One of the forum members had a fix with which he got his system mostly stable. Going to try this out.
If any other freezes will occur i'll post that here.
increasing these 3 settings by +0,200v
-System agent voltage
-CPU IO Analog
-CPU IO Digital

I tried this trick, but not work in my case. it seems to be more stable, but after a few days crashes again, and a few more times later until I give up. also you will notice a small increase at ram/cpu temperatures.

it is a gigabyte fault, so there is nothing we can do except waiting gigabyte fix it (using 2 dimm util fix), exchange motherboard brand or forget using 4 dimm.

Yes its possible and i heard also a lot about 2 Dimms freezes on mini itx builds like mine. I also have some freezes, far less frequent but they are still around.

Might timings might voltage, but Gigabyte will probably keep silent until they know a solution. Otherwise it could get RMAs out of Control. :think:

Just great, i remember me and a few colleagues going mad about this issue for weeks :D

now it all makes sense...

Maybe one day they'll bring out a final BIOS update to resolve all these issues, but if that takes too long i'll guess we'll RMA it and get like a asus board instead.

This flaw is seriously dealbreaking, i wonder why there aren't many articles or so about this (or are there?)

if you can try a little experiment with 4 dimm, do this:

1) note (or print/photo) all RAM TIMINGS you are using on XMP profile.
2) disable XMP profile and put memory timing on MANUAL
3) change manually all timings values to the XMP values you printed, but increase tRFC to 280˜310 and tFAW to 50˜80 ..... it seems this could solve the problem with 4 dimm... (**)
4) adjust memory voltage to XMP values and memory multiplier to 1600MHz (depending on RAM, it could be changed...)
5) put the memory mode to NORMAL or ENHANCE STABILITY. verify if command rate is 2T

Reboot and check in BIOS if the values are ACTUALLY set (in my H87, they only changed after a cold boot: remove power cord - or turn of power switch if you have - for 20 seconds and turn on again).

do a Cold boot and check if the values still there.

then go to OSX/Windows and run some benchmarks. check the timing values inside windows (AIDA, Everest, etc. I don't know how to check in OSX) to see if it still there even if you reboot or cold boot.

You don't need to change voltages or other settings with works well with 2 DIMM, just these two timing values.

(**) these values almost double from memory kits with use double side ram or has 2 and 4 dimm configurations (same model/chip). So it seems theses values have direct relation with memory density. Also, older memory modules (launched before haswell) has 120˜160 tRFC and 28˜40 tFAW, but the new ones (advertising as haswell compatible) has higher values.

gigabyte bios has bugs, in my case it require a cold boot to change values, but i think it is possible to do manually solve this issue if we understand exactly where the problems is.

share your comments here about this experiment. please.
I am trying here too for a half hour, and it seems to be more stable, no crashes yet (but it don't means it is solved...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back