1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Topics Covered:
--Installation steps for the motherboard, including patching the BIOS
--Installing on top of an existing Windows installation without formatting.
--Getting the Killer NIC working
--Getting the App store working with NullEthernet

Exact configuration:
i7 4770k
Asrock Fatality Z87
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Dominator
PNY GeForce 660 Ti

After a couple nights, I have everything working! I'm going to show all the steps I followed to get a fully functional OSX Mavericks on the Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer. This is just as much for me in case I need to re-do this in the future.

1. Create your bootable flash drive using UniBeast.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads
OPTIONAL: If you have a Windows installation already and want to install OSX on a separate partition on the same HDD, you'll need to patch the boot disk with files found here. They do work on Mavericks:
http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1129-osinstallmbrosinstallmpkg-108x/

1.1 Download the Killer NIC kext here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/120084-working-kext-killer-e2200.html
All you need from this zip file is the kext in the Debug folder. The other one DOES NOT work, and the one included in Multibeast didn't work for me.

1.2 Get a kext installer. I used Kext Wizard. You will need these things as you will not have internet access.

2. Patch the BIOS.
This is mandatory. If you do not perform this step, the PC will reboot over and over and you'll never make it to the installer. This step assumes you're using Windows. I performed these steps in Windows 8.1 64bit. They should be the same in Windows 7 64 bit.

WARNING: It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Patching your BIOS is dangerous. Follow these steps exactly to avoid problems. You shouldn't have any problems, but it's a risk.

2.1 Download afuwin and PMPatch
http://www.ami.com/support/downloads/amiflash.zip
http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/92024-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility.html

2.2 Extract the amiflash.zip file and navigate to Aptio/afuwin/64/. In this directory, extract afuwin64.zip. For convenience, extract PMPatch in the same directory as afuwin64.

2.3 Open an elevated command prompt and navigate to the directory you have extracted afuwin to. The complete directory should be Aptio/afuwin/64/AfuWin64

2.4 Extract the BIOS of the motherboard using the following command:
afuwinx64 bios.bin /o

2.4.1 Patch the BIOS with the following command:
pmpatch bios.bin biospatched.bin

2.4.2 Apply the patched BIOS:
afuwinx64 biospatched.bin /gan

( Credit goes to this thread:http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/116155-success-asrock-z87-extreme6.html )

At this point, you should have a fully working boot disk and a patched BIOS to avoid constant reboots. If you're having issues getting to the installation screen, you should consider using the onboard video. Other than that, you (Hopefully) shouldn't have any issues.

4. Assuming you followed the instructions, you should have Multibeast available. Run Multibeast. I did not use a DSDT, and everything seems to work okay, including sleep. I just ran EasyBeast, but also include the driver for Realtek ALC1150 (Without DSDT). NOTE: Check the update in the second post about audio.

5. Install the Killer NIC driver you downloaded in step 1 using Kext Wizard. In addition, place the ALXEthernet.kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins. Rebuild permissions. Go to System Preferences > Network and remove all network interfaces by using the minus sign. Reboot the machine, go back to System Preferences > Network, and add a new ethernet adapter. The networking should work at this point. If it does not, MAKE SURE you are using kext found in the debug directory of the downloaded file. You should also double check the info.plist of the ALXEthernet.kext file and make sure there is an entry like this:
Code:
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0xE0911969</string>

6. If everything works, you're good to go! Except one last thing... The App Store doesn't work. The App Store doesn't like the Killer NIC, so get NullEthernet from here:
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-null-ethernet/downloads

We're going to need to edit the NullEthernetInjector kext to match the Killer NIC. Navigate the kext and open the info.plist file with a text editor. You should put this information in the plist:
Code:
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0xE0911969</string>
<key>MAC-address</key>
            <data>
            YourMacAddress //Find by opening a terminal and using the ifconfig command
            </data>

Use Kext Wizard one more time. Install NullEthernet.kext found in the Release directory, and then install NullEthernetInjector.kext (This is the file you modified with the above information). Fix permissions, remove all network adapters again, and reboot.

7. Create a network adapter again, and you're done! You should be able to use the app store and have full internet access!

Possible Omission
It may be necessary to navigate to go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the networkinterfaces.plist, but I believe that's essentially what we're doing when we delete all the network entries in the Network screen, but I don't know the intricacies of OSX very well. If you're having issues, it may be worth deleting this so the OS can rebuild it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3925

======================

I'm a CS major, but I'm definitely no expert on this stuff. I wanted to use Xcode to develop some iOS apps without having to purchase a Mac. I was as thorough as possible with this. I hope it works for everyone that wants to use this board. If not, I'll be happy to try to help, but please tell me which step you're stuck on and be descriptive on what you've tried, what's not working, and perhaps what you think went wrong.

Good luck, and enjoy your OSX install! Time to learn some Objective C!:clap:

Okay, it is confirmed! Audio is working just fine after an extended sleep period (Probably 14-15 hours).

Again, for audio use the driver for ALC 1150 in Multibeast 6.1.

I just wanted to add my experience for anyone else trying to get things working with this motherboard. I had to tweak a few more changes to get it working.

1. I had to turn the shared video memory setting from Auto to 32MB. Before I did this I was getting random freezes 5-10 minutes after boot up.
  2. I had to remove the Intel kexts. Before I did that it wouldn't boot past the Apple logo. It seemed to be freezing on setting up bluetooth if I booted with -v but after a fair amount of googling I found that this usually indicates an issue with the Intel drivers.
  3. I set this computer up twice. The first time I ran multi beast and accepted the defaults for the most part. I couldn't log into iCloud or the app store in this configuration (NullEthernet didn't work for me). On my next atttempt I chose the Mac Pro 6, 2 profile instead of the default 3,1. Changing that made everything work like a charm!

Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

I just wanted to add my experience for anyone else trying to get things working with this motherboard. I had to tweak a few more changes to get it working.

1. I had to turn the shared video memory setting from Auto to 32MB. Before I did this I was getting random freezes 5-10 minutes after boot up.
  2. I had to remove the Intel kexts. Before I did that it wouldn't boot past the Apple logo. It seemed to be freezing on setting up Bluetooth if I booted with -v but after a fair amount of Googling I found that this usually indicates an issue with the Intel drivers.
  3. I set this computer up twice. The first time I ran MultiBeast and accepted the defaults for the most part. I couldn't log into iCloud or the app store in this configuration (NullEthernet didn't work for me). On my next attempt I chose the Mac Pro 6, 2 profile instead of the default 3,1. Changing that made everything work like a charm!

Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

Thanks for your suggestions, but are you sure you're commenting on the right motherboard? This is the motherboard for this thread:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460
There is no Bluetooth built in.

Will the z97 version of this board work by following these steps? Also will this gpu work as well EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Superclocked Video Card? Thanks!

With the update version 1.40 that Unlock C-State MSR, is it necessary to use PMPatch?

I am not a regular on these forums, so I apologize for not updating.

I am afraid I don't know since I haven't been keeping up with recent developments. I can say it is a pretty easy test. If you try to install the OS and your PC reboots in an endless loop, you need to run the patch. :lol:

Comcody, if you have this board and you didn't need to patch the BIOS, if you'd post alternate steps I'll update the OP with the information.

Will the z97 version of this board work by following these steps? Also will this gpu work as well EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Superclocked Video Card? Thanks!

That is a completely different board. I would not trust these steps to work with any board other than the one listed.

Just a heads up for someone else trying this.

You don't need the PMPatch BIOS patch anymore. Download the 1.40 BIOS or later update(I tested with 1.60) from ASRock directly. You can simply go into your UEFI options and update directly from there - no tools needed.

This unlocks the MSR and allows you to boot into installer. I tested with Yosemite 10.10.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back