Contribute
Register

Mavericks freezes on boot @ Apple Logo when using 3 monitors, boots fine with 2 (ATI 7950)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte UP5-TH
CPU
Graphics
ATI 7950
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

In early Mavericks, I had my 7950 working with triple monitors using the sleep trick and some workarounds I found on these forums, which I've since (unfortunately) forgotten.

After I updated my Mavericks to the latest updates, my triple monitors stopped working. If I try and boot with 3 monitors plugged into the 7950 (DVI, HDMI and mini-displayport), the computer totally freezes on the apple logo boot screen, and needs to be hard-reset.

If I boot with only 2 monitors plugged in, it boots/works fine with both monitors. If I try and plug the third in, it crashes.

How can I get triple monitors working with Mavericks and an ATI 7950? I know it can be done since I had it working before!

I have the same card and the same problem. With Mavericks 10.9.0 it was working fine with 3 monitors, but after the update to 10.9.2 it stopped working. I tried updating to 10.9.3 (beta) but nothing changed. Did you solved the problem?

I have the same card and the same problem. With Mavericks 10.9.0 it was working fine with 3 monitors, but after the update to 10.9.2 it stopped working. I tried updating to 10.9.3 (beta) but nothing changed. Did you solved the problem?

Nope. still can't get it working. :(

How can I get triple monitors working with Mavericks and an ATI 7950?
Native OS X/AMD mulitmonitor display support is unlikely. What framebuffer?

AMD mulitmonitor requires the correct framebuffer with the correct edts to match VBIOS.
Framebuffer: see Apple Intel AMD/ATI Framebuffers; test the ATI7000Controller.kext framebuffers with DP, DVI and HDMI (i.e., Aji, Futomaki, etc.)
VBIOS: see Mavericks: HDMI Audio - AppleHDA/Requirements/
AMD5000Controller/AMD6000Controller/AMD7000Controller binary edits, the methodology is the same for Mavericks and the AMD7000Controller.kext. HDMI audio is not required.

Significant effort and expertise is required to solve this problem.

Native OS X/AMD mulitmonitor display support is unlikely. What framebuffer?

AMD mulitmonitor requires the correct framebuffer with the correct edts to match VBIOS.
Framebuffer: see Apple Intel AMD/ATI Framebuffers; test the ATI7000Controller.kext framebuffers with DP, DVI and HDMI (i.e., Aji, Futomaki, etc.)
VBIOS: see Mavericks: HDMI Audio - AppleHDA/Requirements/
AMD5000Controller/AMD6000Controller/AMD7000Controller binary edits, the methodology is the same for Mavericks and the AMD7000Controller.kext. HDMI audio is not required.

Significant effort and expertise is required to solve this problem.

Thanks for your help.

I tried to modify Aji framebuffer in Ati7000Controller but the situation is the same:

• With "GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Aji" i get "Memory allocation error" on chameleon. Trying another framebuffer injection, mavericks boots correctly but i have different combinations of working monitor depending on which framebuffer i select (1 or 2 monitors => No 3 monitors);
  • With "GraphicsEnabler=No" Mavericks boots correctly. All 3 monitors are recognized in System Info but only two monitors work correctly, the third has backlight switched on but no image on it. After sleeping and waking PC i get the 3rd monitor working.
I tried different ports combinations (DVI-D+HDMI+DP, DVI-D+DVI-I+DP, ...) but there isn't a 100% working combination.

Any suggestions? (With Mavericks 10.9.0 everything was working fine with original Ati7000Controller.kext, i tried using Ati7000Controller+AMDRadeonX4000 from 10.9.0 but i get exactly tyhe situation explained in the last point above)

With "GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Aji"
Not valid.
GE=No is required to inject a framebuffer. The only way to understand what to do is to run radeon_bios_decode and compare the VBIOS connectors with the appropriate framebuffer connectors. Use the links previously noted. If you can't figure it out, you are stuck with 2 monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back