Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Folks,

Once again, let me first start by saying thank you to the site, the people and even InsanelyMac for the help making this work.

Yes, Maverick does work on the Toshiba Satellite C55-A, although a few things I haven't gotten working but put in no real effort yet.

***Note***
The big thing here is that you MUST have a machine already running 10.6.8 or higher, so that you can create a Unibeast / Mac Store / Maverick USB, so I literally built another machine to satisfy this need. See that in another thread.

My Story:

• I wanted to development of apps for iPhone / iPad, but I didn't realize I needed a MAC. Since I already owned the other two devices
  • I priced out things like MAC Mini and MACs and for what I needed / wanted we are talking 1500-4K (yes huge price range) but whatever :)
  • It was suggested to me to do a hackintosh so I figured why not

My system specs are part of my profile but, to be clear, this is the bundle from BestBuy
Toshiba Satellite, i3, 6 gigs (I bought another 8 stick but haven't used it yet), 750gig drive, DVD burner, 15.6 screen, 13xx/xxx screen resolution.

The bundle with an 8gig stick and a wireless mouse + another 8 gigs of memory was $511.18, not bad really

What works:
  • Pretty much everything works and it runs extremely smoothly. Video is great, booting is great, hard drive is great, USB is greatish (see what doesn't work), Ethernet works great (minus wireless), keyboard / touchpad, screen saver, networking all good
  • I did update the boot options to ensure it uses my correct video card, because it's integrated and I needed to use IGPlatformID=01660003 to make it work correctly

What does not work so well
  • Sound: but in fairness I have put ZERO effort into it yet, so maybe someone else can say how to get it to work. I will try and then get back to you
  • Wireless: Nope, not yet (but again no effort)
  • USB---weird issue that others are having, where Flashdrives are NOT showing up, no matter what I do.
  • Bluetooth - doesn't work, but I've not tried to fix it

Installation Steps
  • This actually went extremely easy (once I figured out the pre-steps, and finding the proper flags to get it to boot, including video settings)
  • **BTW, there is NO option in the BIOS to change VIDEO settings, so don't waste your time lol, not at least in the version of the BIOS I have

Step 0:
  • Set the drive from UEFI to AHCI
  • I actually did not disable anything to do with VT or Hyper-V etc. Maybe I should, but everything is running great without it
  • This machine came with windows 8.1 and that stopped working immediately since I changed the settings on the disk drive / controller

Step 1:
  • Get a Maverick USB stick
  • I had to do this because this machine will NOT install 10.6.3 period, it's too new
  • I had to build another laptop (HP Compaq 8510w) with 10.6.8 to make a Unibeast 10.9.2 install
  • Please see my other posts for this information (as well as my Lenovo Thinkpad 510w maverick install)
  • I had also copied Multi-Beast for Maverick onto this memory stick too

Step 2 - Boot into Maverick
  • This took me a bit, because I was clearly screwing up the flags. I had to use -v IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660003 and GraphicsEnabler=No to get it to boot, but I also did ACPI=off and ncpi=0x2000. I honestly don't think I needed all of those, but I did need the graphics ones etc.
  • I totally goofed this up for like 5 hours lol...At times I did -x as well but I did NOT need that long term

Step 3 - Install Maverick
  • Once I got into Maverick, I formatted using the DiskUtility and did the install
  • Install went smoothly
  • I did NOT reboot after I was done
  • I ran Multi-beast for Maverick and did Easy + Keyboard / Touchpad + Ethernet + USB 3.0 + the Power Management Rollback to 10.8.1 (as it was crashing on this earlier) + the SandyBridge/IvyBridge Patch for the Video.
  • I modified the boot settings to ensure the IGP settings, but did not set the kernel flags etc myself. I left everything else as is. There was no i386 setting in my file, although there was on my other machine (not sure why)

Things to watch out for
  • I disabled sleep mode and hibernation. It kicked in once and bleh not so good
  • Without the CPUManagement rollback I was getting panics
  • Without the IGPlatformID=01660003 I was getting crap resolution and it was flakey and stuff, bad bad. The default HD4000 support was terrible, so thank Goodness they put in the flag to enable other resolutions
  • Memory:
    • There is a bug in the boot loader, where if you are at the selection screen and press the down arrow and select Memory Info, it makes this machine reboot
    • The MAC OS, if you go under About this MAC, and Diagnostics will say that the memory test failed. Each time you reboot it says this. It complains it doesn't like the 4 and 2 gig sticks, it wants two 4's or whatever.
    • I haven't seen it cause any issues yet but there it is :)
    • I have NOT installed the 8 gig yet so I cannot tell you if it in fact will be an issue or not

Remember the control codes for your Intel HD are based on the resolution (hence why I needed the one ending in 3) per the link below. You will have to try them to find which one works for you. I used the wrong ones and I only got 1024x768 until I found that thread.

Thanks to Rehabman for specifically calling out I needed to do that though in another post of mine.

useful links

http://www.tonymacx86.com/378-new-intel-hd-graphics-boot-flags-chimera.html
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/378-new-intel-hd-graphics-boot-flags-chimera.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293551-mavericks-on-toshiba-satellite-c55-a5285/

Hey!

Thanks for the Guide, might try this on my Laptop.
Just one question, have you got the wireless to work yet?

i have the same question in my toshiba c55-a doesnt work :/

you know the solution??

Hey!

Thanks for the Guide, might try this on my Laptop.
Just one question, have you got the wireless to work yet?

WiFi: Depends on having compatible hardware. Use DPCIManager->PCI List to find out what you have. Compatible chipsets and the procedures for making them work are covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

- - - Updated - - -

i have the same question in my toshiba c55-a doesnt work :/

you know the solution??

See above...

Olá....
Estou tentando fazer o Hackintosh no meu Toshiba Satellite C55-B e não estou conseguindo.
Alguém me ajuda....

[QUOTE = "RehabMan, post: 1383084, membro: 429483"] Por favor, leia as regras (você já concordou com eles): https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/

Inglês somente. [/ QUOTE]
Tudo bem meu amigo, obrigado!
Eu acabei de ler here como Regras ....

Dunno if this is the right place
Unibeast 9.2 Mojave install to Toshiba Satellite C55 with Intel Graphics HD4000, 6 GB RAM, 1.8g processor, works great and smooth... XCODE even works fine...
Triple booting with Win10, Kali, and Mojave now
Only thing is i copied the rehab man voodoo stuff to the clover (dunno if i had to)
now im looking for a rt2500 kext for a wusb54g... many old OSX versions

Thanks to this forum and a very sweet OSX gal for helping get this working..

UPDATE: laptop pci wifi uses Atheros AR9565
using this video worked to get wifi going on the hackintosh - posting from OSX now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back