Graphics
Gigabyte GTX-960 4GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After seeing my ATX Customac Pro build, my daughter wants me to build a computer for her. However, she doesn't need much.
Her uses will be Web surfing, iTunes, YouTube, Skype, Twitter, email, iPhoto, Microsoft Office. She is NOT a gamer. With that in mind, how do the following specs look. (The case could be a cheaper model, but she wants one similar to mine.)

mATX Budget Build

MOBO....GA-H170M-DS3H mATX
CPU.......Intel i3-6100 (3.7GHz)
GPU.......Intel CPU onboard HD 530
RAM......2x8GB Kinsington
HDD......Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU.......Corsair CX550M
Case......Fractal Design Define Mini C mATX

I have priced all the components listed at a total of US$440.
If her needs change in the future, I could easily add an SSD and more RAM.

Looks like a fine build. Tons of RAM for multitasking and enough CPU power to drive those applications you listed.

Looks like a fine build. Tons of RAM for multitasking and enough CPU power to drive those applications you listed.

Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest going with SSD now rather than waiting. The difference in performance is just too large.

You're probably right about the SSD. I've been debating the question with myself. I just looked up the current prices and found two SSDs for about $90 each. One is a Samsung Evo with 256GB and the other is a Crucial with 275GB.

I have had a larger, external, Crucial for over two years as a boot disk for an iMac.

I'll be ordering parts soon, and I'm leaning toward the Crucial SSD for the new build.

I personally have used many Crucial SSDs over the years and have also helped many friends install Crucials in their Macs. As far as I know, none have ever had issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back